8mm Case Splitting...Damage/Dangerous?

PDA

EvisceratorSrB
September 30, 2006, 05:13 PM
Well I noticed on only about 3 casings that there were apparently holes in the casing. Lengthwise cracks down the body of the case, with powder burn marks around the edges. Now, forgive my camera phone, cuz it's just terrible man. But you can make out the damage to the casing itself.

Is this dangerous? Damaging to the rifle? Happening because of? Maybe pitting? Thanks in advance,

Matt.

If you enjoyed reading about "8mm Case Splitting...Damage/Dangerous?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dakotasin
September 30, 2006, 05:52 PM
if the cracks were in the neck, i wouldn't worry about it - but because of where yours are i'd look for the problem. this is probably ammo related. what's the story on the ammo? if current manufacture, modern ammo does it, too, the rifle is the culprit and needs attention.

dangerous? probably.

Mk VII
September 30, 2006, 06:07 PM
elderly ammo, probably sold cheap because of it. Scrap it, or pull the bullets and load them into decent cases.

EvisceratorSrB
September 30, 2006, 06:31 PM
It happens with the surplus ammo only. I've never seen this sort of thing on Olympic 8mm modern manufactured ammo, so I suppose it is ammo related. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "8mm Case Splitting...Damage/Dangerous?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!