Old Ammo - safety

PDA

rhtwist
September 30, 2006, 05:08 PM
Hello,
I have some 8mm surplus ammunition fmj and soft tip, that was purchased in the 70's. I didn't store it well and it now has alot of green stuff on it. Is it possible to clean (HOW?) and safe to shoot?
BTW what is that green stuff's name, besides corrosion? Thanx

If you enjoyed reading about "Old Ammo - safety" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jackal
September 30, 2006, 05:32 PM
The brass oxidizes and turns green. You can remove the green with steel wool. If there are no holes under the green stuff, it is safe to use. I have some old Winchester Super Speed 8mm soft points with the same problem. I removed the green crap, and found holes in the brass on some of the rounds. Those are now just display ammo, and not shooters.

Thin Black Line
September 30, 2006, 06:42 PM
Wonder if it has corrosive primers......

Cosmoline
September 30, 2006, 08:24 PM
The green stuff will often lead to jams. If it's a mild layer it can be cleaned off, no big deal. Bit if the brass is even a little pitted, pull the bullets and ditch it. That's 55,000+ PSI there--not worth the risk. Plus green brass causes a lot of jams. Corrosive primers would not cause it and play no role until fired.

Chawbaccer
October 1, 2006, 09:10 AM
The green coating is called verdigris, it's an oxide of copper.

rhtwist
October 1, 2006, 04:20 PM
Thank you all for the information and suggestions. Will give the steel wool a try. Prior to breaking it open, I can recall that the softpoints were imported by Interarms. Verdigris, cool, thanx.

If you enjoyed reading about "Old Ammo - safety" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!