Can I use my Mossberg 590 for hunting?

PDA

MrMex
September 30, 2006, 08:39 PM
I recently bought a 590 for HD, now with hunting season coming up I was hoping I could use it for that also. Now Im pretty green when it comes to shottys, not syure what all the lingo means: improved choke, full choke, turkey gun etc.

The gun is equipped with basic front bead sight, speed feed stock and parkerized. Does this model allow for barrel changes?

I guess Id like to know what type of game I could use it for in its current state. Or hell, can I even use it for hunting at all?

thanks guys

If you enjoyed reading about "Can I use my Mossberg 590 for hunting?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ndh87
September 30, 2006, 08:55 PM
for bird hunting i think you'll have to leave the plug in, thereby limiting you to 3 rounds. as far a chokes go, that just changes the pattern of the shot. and if you get buckshot or slugs you can go out and bag a few deer.

MrMex
September 30, 2006, 08:58 PM
Ive got no plug, so for birdies Im limited to a 3 shot mag?

zoom6zoom
September 30, 2006, 10:45 PM
A plug is just a plastic insert that fits in your mag tube and limits the number of shells that will fit; you don't need a different mag. You can get them from Brownells and other places for less than five bucks. Check your local game regs for ammo capacities - they may vary from state to state.

Rupestris
September 30, 2006, 11:12 PM
Ive got no plug, so for birdies Im limited to a 3 shot mag?

You'll have to check local regulations but I believe you are limited to two in the magazine, one in the chamber. Three rounds total.

A wood dowel from Home Depot will do the same thing for a few pennies. Some folks have even used pencils as plugs when hunting fowl. For deer and varmint there are probably no capacity rules.
As long as there is something in the mag that prevents you from loading more that two rounds in it, you're fine.

As for using the 590, first and foremost, patern it with whatever round you will be hunting with. For deer and other large four legged critters, patern with slugs. A modified or I/C choke should work well with slugs. One might patern a bit tighter than the other. You'll have to try both. My SG paterns slugs best with I/C. YMMV.

cs

Panthera Tigris
October 1, 2006, 12:02 AM
I've got the 590A-1. Nice to know it can be used for hunting. I need to find a custom heat shield that will fit with the ghost sights however.

ACP230
October 1, 2006, 05:44 PM
I have taken my 590 out for grouse and fired it at a few. Didn't kill any, but that wasn't the gun's fault.

It would make a good deer gun due to the peep sight. I have sighted it in with slugs, but not actually used it on deer. I did bring it to back up my deer rifle, but since I had no trouble with the rifle it wasn't used.

The 590 has a cylinder bore so it isn't for long shots. However, on grouse and rabbits that flush close it should work fine.

The magazine capacity isn't a problem in a pump here except for waterfowl/migratory birds.

toivo
October 1, 2006, 05:48 PM
A wood dowel from Home Depot will do the same thing for a few pennies.
I've had two Mossberg pumps, and the plug that they came with WAS a wooden dowel, with two rubber O-rings around it to keep it from rattling around in the tube.

MCgunner
October 1, 2006, 07:52 PM
I've got the 590A-1. Nice to know it can be used for hunting. I need to find a custom heat shield that will fit with the ghost sights however.

A must for every dove gun...:rolleyes:

Panthera Tigris
October 1, 2006, 08:34 PM
A must for every dove gun...

What's that supposed to mean?

MCgunner
October 1, 2006, 10:43 PM
A ghost ring sight and a heat shield? Very tacticool, if worthless. I'll keep my standard 28" guns, thanks, or a good double for wing shooting.

I guess you could hunt deer with it. Rather use my Remington M7 .308, though, myself. When I read a thread about shotguns and hunting, I just think wing shooting. There are states where rifles are illegal for deer hunting, though.

Panthera Tigris
October 1, 2006, 10:47 PM
Why is a heat shield worthless for a gun with ghost sights? I keep reading how the gun can get so hot after several rounds have been fired through it. Why should I not try to get a heat shield that will fit it?

I only had the money to afford one gun, and it will be mostly for home defense and target shooting. Currently I don't hunt and never have. It would just be nice if the 590 could be used for that, if I ever decided to take up hunting. Because I won't be able to afford another shotgun for a long long long time.

MCgunner
October 1, 2006, 10:53 PM
I never had a shotgun get that hot hunting. ROFLMFAO! I have fired 25 rounds back to back on clays without a heat shield. If I were a soldier in Iraq and firing a couple thousand rounds in a fire fight, maybe. I'd worry more about my shoulder than my hands on the barrel, though.

It's just tacticool. If that makes you happy, fine, convince yourself you need it and go buy it. To each his own. I pimped out an SKS like that just for the heck of it. It's a fun gun to play with at the range, if worthless for the real world. Makes me happy to play with, though, so I did it. I don't GUESS it was a waste of money, LOL!

Panthera Tigris
October 1, 2006, 10:56 PM
Actually, I'm thrilled to hear I DON'T need one! I don't have any extra cash to go out spending on accessories. I have the 590A-1, one shooting shirt from Cabelas, and one recoil shoulder pad on order, and that's going to be all I can afford! No custom chokes, no custom stocks, barrels, etc. The gun, a carrying case and some rounds to get me started are going to have to be it.

MCgunner
October 1, 2006, 11:17 PM
Well, lol, don't get all caught up in the tacticool thing. 90 percent of the accessory stuff you see is just looks for the weekend ninjas. Some folks like a ghost ring aperture sight for range work and deer hunting and I'm one of 'em, but on a bird gun it'd get in the way. Wing shooting, you don't AIM the gun, you point the gun and swing with the bird.

Barrel heat is really only a big problem in combat on automatic weapons. Don't worry if your shotgun barrel gets a little warm normal shooting. This is one of the reasons vent ribs are popular on shotguns now days and you see these HUGE vent ribs on some trap guns. The theory is it gets the sight plain away from the barrel which can get warm enough to give convection waves off the barrel if you're firing a lot. But, as a practical matter in the field, I've never seen a problem. Nobody I hunt with uses a combat shotgun. I've never actually had the urge to OWN a combat shotgun, maybe a coach gun (double barrel 18" cylinder bore), but I'd really prefer one with interchangeable chokes so I could use it for something afield. You really need a choked barrel for bird or running game with shot to get effective range. If your shotgun's bored cylinder, consider just buying a new shotgun to use afield, will cost you a lot less than dressing one up from one of those tacticool magazines.

I've seen these hunting shows on wing shooting in Argentina. They make it sound like you never stop firing. But, I reckon, if you can afford a trip to Argentina, you can afford to take along two Browning Citoris so you can let one rest while you heat up the other. LOL!

Panthera Tigris
October 2, 2006, 01:38 AM
LOL, I can barely afford a trip to Brazil, Indiana (I'm in IN) let alone Argentina!

I'm happy for now with a combat shotgun. I've no immediate plans to hunt, and couldn't afford to get into it even if I did have plans.

Actually, my preferance when I bought the Mossberg was for a side-by-side, but I couldn't find any that were not very expensive. The Mossberg didn't destroy my bank account.

nitesite
October 2, 2006, 06:47 PM
I have the ghost ring 8+1 590, and wish I had the A-1 like you.

You got a good shotgun. Just not very good for upland birds or turkey.

But damned fine for slug hunting and home defense.

ArmedBear
October 2, 2006, 07:15 PM
For the money you'd spend, you're probably best off just buying a 500, already set up for hunting. Now and again, you can find them for $220, new. Then you can just leave the plug in it and use the 590 for HD.

The ghost rings are undesirable for a bird gun, the mag extension makes the thing unbalanced, and you'd have to get an appropriate barrel one way or another, for $100 or more.

And don't even try to hunt doves unless you can hit clays. Shotgunning (meaning hitting moving targets) is a skill more akin to golf than to rifle shooting.

1KPerDay
October 2, 2006, 07:52 PM
Funny, because I absolutely suck at golf and am actually all right at busting clays... with my Mosssy 590 (heat shield equipped... no ghost rings, though).:D

ArmedBear
October 2, 2006, 07:56 PM
I'm not saying I'm good at golf. I'm just saying that you can be a great rifle shooter and not hit a thing with a shotgun, without practice, since it's so different.:)

Still, to shoot trap farther away than 16, you really want a choke and a longer barrel.

Panthera Tigris
October 2, 2006, 08:35 PM
If I enjoy shooting the A-1 when I take it out (still haven't felt what kind of recoil it has, etc), it's likely I'll prefer shooting shotguns to handguns. I've not fired rifles that much, and when I have I've had a harder time sighting them in, except for an SKS I shot one time. However, when I'm holding and sighting the shotgun, it seems to be a more natural aim for me.

So, if I end up enjoying it more, I'll probably trade my handgun in on another shotgun, and for my second one, get one that's setup for hunting/trap, etc.

I'll look at the 500. I've seen the Remington Express 570 cheap, but I read somewhere that they aren't built very well.

Panthera Tigris
October 4, 2006, 12:27 AM
I walked out of Gander Mt today with an 870 Express Supermag.

Rupestris
October 4, 2006, 12:58 AM
Rock on PT!

Give us some details! bbl. length? Furniture? Pics?

;)

MrMex
October 4, 2006, 01:44 AM
From what I can tell here is that the 590 is not used for anything more than 10-20 yards? No dove, quail or turkey?

Then is there a way to modify this gun to use it as such? I really dont want to buy another shotty to hunt with but if I have to....too bad:D

Panthera Tigris
October 4, 2006, 02:41 AM
A basic 28 inch barrel. Nothing fancy, just the standard Express supermag. I picked up the left handed model. When I get her assembled and cleaned, I'll post a pic.

toivo
October 4, 2006, 04:05 AM
I walked out of Gander Mt today with an 870 Express Supermag.
After paying, I hope!

Congratulations--Remingtons are great shotguns. I have an 1100 that I love.

dfaugh
October 4, 2006, 11:27 AM
I've had two Mossberg pumps, and the plug that they came with WAS a wooden dowel, with two rubber O-rings around it to keep it from rattling around in the tube.

IANAL, nor do I play one on TV, but I believe this only applies to waterfowl (the 3 round limit) in almost any state. For other small game, I don't think its required.(also see below)

I have a 500A 20" Cylinder choke, and use it for hunting with some limitations.
For small game, you need fairly close in shots (as the pattern will spread ALOT)...Not usually an issue, because IMO most of these shots are less than 25 yards, most like 50 feet. Forget about waterfowl, you'll never get the distance with a cylinder bore. For deer, with Brenekke Slugs I can keep all my shots in a 5-6" circle at 50 yards, with a red-dot scope. Probably wouldn't take a much longer shot, but around here you rarely need to.

MCgunner
October 4, 2006, 03:32 PM
IANAL, nor do I play one on TV, but I believe this only applies to waterfowl (the 3 round limit) in almost any state. For other small game, I don't think its required.(also see below)

Any migratory bird, that includes doves, snipe, gallinules, and I'm not sure about rails, but does not include upland birds of course. This is a federal regulation to do with migratory birds. The only shotguns I own that have no plug or otherwise limited mag capacity are a double and a single shot and of course they're limited by design. You simply don't need more capacity than 3. 3 is enough temptation to waste ammo, I know...:banghead: :D I am fine just using my double. That's why I'm wanting an O/U.

Excellent shotgun for all around hunting and games, PT! :D

ArmedBear
October 4, 2006, 03:38 PM
In California, all shotgun hunting, including resident upland birds, rabbits, turkey and deer, is limited to 3 rounds total capacity. Every state is different.

Zero_DgZ
October 4, 2006, 03:42 PM
Do what I did: Install a Polychoke.

(Now I can't get my heat shield all the way off. So it goes.)

I can throw slugs, buckshot of any size, and game loads up to 3" with any choke pattern I want at any old range. Twist. Click. Pump. Boom.

People say that a longer barrel is 'required' for upland/clays/birds, but I don't find this to be the case; The velocity hit is minimal if it even exists at all (I'm not convinced) and I've become pretty adept at swatting things out of the sky quickly with rifle sights...

ArmedBear
October 4, 2006, 03:51 PM
swatting things out of the sky quickly

A short barrel is good for that. That can work for skeet, flushing birds, etc.

However, handicap trap and pass-shooting do not involve "swatting things out of the sky quickly", it involves a smooth swing and followthrough, at least if you want to hit much.

That's why there are so many shotguns with different geometries. There's not just one kind of shooting.:)

Before putting on a Polychoke or whatever, I'd just get a 28" Mossberg 500 and use both guns, where they're most appropriate.

MCgunner
October 4, 2006, 03:52 PM
I've seen it claimed in articles, though I've not tried to test it, that anything over 24" of barrel is not beneficial to velocity and it makes sense 'cause shotgun powders are VERY fast burning powders, in fact, used as pistol powders and fast for that! Blue dot is fairly slow, but faster than 2400 which is a popular magnum handgun powder. It's about as slow as shotgun powders get and only really suitable for heavy loads.

However, there's more to barrel length than just exterior ballistics. It's like sight radius in a handgun, but also more weight out front helps the swing and target acquisition. Short barrel shotguns simply handle and swing too quickly for trap or long range hunting, though they are quicker and might be okay for short range skeet stages and flushing birds at close range. Most of my hunting is on ducks, though, and 28" guns seem about perfect to me, 26" maybe. I've tried to shoot a 20" Browning and didn't like it at all, not enough muzzle weight and too whippy.

There was a short barrel (20") fad going around back in the late 80s, but it passed. It was spurred on, ain't it always the case, by some "expert" gun writer articles. I've never bought into it and the fad faded.

ArmedBear
October 4, 2006, 03:57 PM
anything over 24" of barrel is not beneficial to velocity

Not true. Depends on the load. If you're shooting a fair amount of shot (1 1/8 oz. or more), you need to use slower-burning powder to keep the pressure from spiking too high. So it may or may not burn up in 18" or 21" or whatever the "magic number" is. It is true, though, that long barrels were historically necessary for velocity, but modern smokeless powder changes the equation.

It is also true that, for most purposes, velocity isn't a big concern, even if there is some variation between barrels. Barrel length is chosen just like stock dimensions: for the balance and feel of the gun, and preferences vary between gun designs, between shooters and between applications.

Zero_DgZ
October 4, 2006, 04:12 PM
Well, I'll concede all that but my plan for my 590 was to make the ugliest, most effective "do all" shotgun I could.

So it's got a polychoke, holds 9 rounds, works for slugs, I shoot skeet with it pretty good, and I shoot birds with it pretty good, too. And it's got a folding stock so I can stow it away, duracoat finish so it doesn't rust, and when all else fails I can club things with it.

Oh, and it has a bayonet mount. For... some reason.

MCgunner
October 4, 2006, 04:26 PM
Being as I'm primarily a duck and goose hunter with doves an early season fun bird to warm up on, I'd have no use for your gun. ROFL! But, if it works for you, great!

The stow and go thing always intrigues me, though, being as I ride a motorcycle. Lately, I've been thinking of trying to find a super 16 .410/.45 Colt barrel for my TC Contender and getting a butt stock for it. It being a .45 colt, I THINK I could get away with a 16" barrel it's rifled) and a butt stock, even when shooting .410 in it, but I'm not really sure. I need info on that. I just thought this idea up while reading one of those tacticool mags they always are sending me that has a TC Contender folding stock in it for 100 bucks. :what: :rolleyes: Well, no need for the folding stock, just take the gun apart to stow in my saddle bags. :D I have a 10" .45/.410 barrel full choked, but it's only good to about 20 yards with that ultra short barrel. Be nice if I could extend the range another 10 or 20 yards and still have a gun easily stowed in a Gold Wing's bags. And, hey, the .45 Colt would be a pretty awesome caliber on most of the medium game I hunt.

Panthera Tigris
October 4, 2006, 10:06 PM
After paying, I hope!

No, I just grabbed it and walked out! After all, it's a shotgun, who was going to stop me? :evil:

KIDDING! Interesting from the one poster to discover he shoots skeet with the 590 and hunts. But I do have the Remington now so I've got the option. I'm hopeful the trap ranges in town will let me shoot both of them there so I can get used to both.

bad LT
October 5, 2006, 03:40 AM
Zero_DgZ,
The bayonet mount is for hunting deer the cost effective, old fashoned way.:what: :neener: :D

toivo
October 5, 2006, 04:20 AM
The bayonet mount is for hunting deer the cost effective, old fashoned way.
Dogs and spears: That's how they used to do it in the good old, old days.

USMC_2674
October 5, 2006, 07:02 PM
I own one shotgun.

A mossberg 590-A1.

It has a vang comp barrel on it (read REALLY tight choke, which still allows for slugs).

It has ghost sights.

18.5 inch barrel.

It has a side saddle.

I have killed a LOT of doves with it. I have killed a LOT of ducks with it. I have killed a LOT of grouse, pheasants, and geese with it.

I have killed a whole heck of a lot of rabbits with it.

And, I have shot quite a few perfect rounds of skeet and trap with it.

Don't listen to the naysayers.

YOU WILL DO FINE WITH IT IF YOU DECIDE TO HUNT WITH AN A1.

Now all of that said, I shoot clays out of the sky with my ar15 /.22 (I learned to shoot in the Corps with an M16) as well.

And with all of that said, there are far better guns available for shooting birds.

But you don't NEED them to be successful.

Semper Fidelis

MrMex
October 5, 2006, 07:17 PM
Wow, kudos on shooting clays outtat he sky with the ar. How big are the clays, two feet? :neener:

How much for the vang comp barrel?

USMC_2674
October 5, 2006, 07:52 PM
his site is www.vangcomp.com

Check them out there.

Regular clays... what are they? 3" 4" ?

I can't hit them 100% of the time, but enough to compete with people who aren't very good with a shotgun.

MCgunner
October 5, 2006, 09:58 PM
Well, I learned to shoot at age 6 in 1958 with a Daisy BB gun. I prefer normal firearms. My hunting shotguns don't have ghost rings, pistol grips, bayonets or laser sights, but to each his own. :rolleyes: Actually, I hunted for years with a double and am looking to get an O/U. I don't think they make heat shields for an O/U, do they?

USMC_2674
October 6, 2006, 12:37 AM
McGunner,

What the heck is a "normal firearm"?

My goodness... I do get tired of people claiming that "such and such" weapon doesn't fall into the "right" guidelines to be "ok" according to these self-proclaimed gods.

Shouldn't we all be on the same team instead of some people saying "Oh, that weapon is too "cheesy or tactical" for hunting" and then attempting to make them feel bad?

I own military style weapons. It is my background. And I haven't spent the money to buy any "hunting" weapons because what I have works JUST fine for hunting.

No wonder the libs have such an easy time slowly passing gun laws against us... sporting clause anyone?

Semper Fidelis

P.S. If I misunderstood your intent and you aren't being a jerk with your :rolleyes:, then I apologize for the rant.

MCgunner
October 6, 2006, 12:47 PM
What the heck is a "normal firearm"?

One that ain't tacticool pimped out. I don't deer hunt with an M2 or duck hunt with a trench gun, all I'm sayin'. There are more optimum tools for the job. A 28" pump swings a lot smoother on a fifty yard high goose and patterns better with a modified choke and 3" Federal tungsten iron at that range than an 18" cylinder bore or even an 18" properly choked gun. Why should I buy a tacticool shotgun to hunt with? I don't have any other use for a shotgun than the occasional clay shoot with the club or my bird hunting. My daily carry gun is a handgun and that's what I use for self defense. I really don't consider a shotgun very practical for daily carry in downtown Houston where I'm most apt to be accosted.

Like I say, to each his own. If you feel you have a need for a sawed off pistol gripped shotgun, great. I don't consider it the optimum in shotgun configurations, though, for hunting unless you're deer hunting with slugs. There are MUCH better choices for bird hunting and clays shooting.

My uncle was the best shot I ever knew. A veteran of the European theater in WW2, he grew up shooting squirrels in the woods around Conroe, Texas during the later depression years. His mom ran a boarding house there. That man could take an empty .22 brass, flip it in the air, and shoot it 100% of the time, no misses. I've seen him do it. He could literally shoot dove with that .22, but he used a shotgun for that, his favorite M1100 in 20 gauge for bird hunting. He loved to hunt quail and dove and had pointers for the quail. I never even saw a "riot gun" until I was a 20 something adult, never knew they existed. As into waterfowl hunting as I was at that time, I didn't really care about "riot guns". They were for cops and soldiers, not sportsmen.

I support your right to use what you want and certainly to own what you want, but I think hunting with a riot gun is a bit silly when more appropriate shotguns are available so affordably. You don't putt with a driver, do you? JMHO of course.

I'm not advocating gun laws here. I wear a helmet every time I get on a motorcycle, but I'm totally against helmet laws. I'm a libertarian. I just figure use the right tool for the job. If the job is killin' people, a riot or trench gun may be the tool, but not wing shooting. I think trying to tell the antis "Yes, I can hunt with my M16." is the wrong political approach. Sure, you can, but there are better weapons for hunting, closer to what you'd use as a sniper, perhaps. I also think in the helmet law debates, guys who try to use arguments that a helmet is dangerous because "you can't hear out of one" or "they cause neck injuries" are using the wrong argument, too. The pro helmet laws can chew that one up with logic, not to mention accident statistics. The argument to use is "because I don't want big brother telling me how to save myself". With firearms, there is this thing that guarantees you the right to keep and bear arms specifically for MILITARY use! You're guaranteed that freedom. Why should you use some lame argument that a sawed off shotgun is a viable sporting arm????? All they have to do is use logic to kill your argument. Fight 'em with libertarian and constitutional arguments and you will be right! Their arguments refuting the second amendment are lame and they know it!

USMC_2674
October 6, 2006, 01:02 PM
This is my last response to you McGunner.

Let me post the original question

"Can I use my Mossberg 590 for hunting?
I recently bought a 590 for HD, now with hunting season coming up I was hoping I could use it for that also. Now Im pretty green when it comes to shottys, not syure what all the lingo means: improved choke, full choke, turkey gun etc.

The gun is equipped with basic front bead sight, speed feed stock and parkerized. Does this model allow for barrel changes?

I guess Id like to know what type of game I could use it for in its current state. Or hell, can I even use it for hunting at all?

thanks guys"

You didn't bother to answer his question... all you did was make fun of "tacticool" weaponry and suggest a different gun.

He could have EASILY hunted a lot of different small game with his 590-A1. But instead someone had to be an ass and instead of encouraging him, you belittled the idea that he could use a "subpar" weapon to hunt with.

Shouldn't we be helpful, encouraging and say, "Yes, you can hunt the following with that weapon... but it isn't as good as "such and such" for the job."

Really, there is no reason to reply to me.

I think you should take that A1 out and hunt with it friend. Hunting is GREAT training on how it points and if you can hit a rabbit running across the field, you can certainly hit an intruder.

Semper Fidelis

MCgunner
October 6, 2006, 01:06 PM
I stand by my statements, why put a choke on his 590 and spend all that money and effort when a proper hunting shotgun is cheaper? I'd rather own two guns, anyway, than one!

ArmedBear
October 6, 2006, 02:36 PM
It has a vang comp barrel on it (read REALLY tight choke, which still allows for slugs).

Sure, you can shoot trap with that. That's a whole different animal from a standard barrel.

The fact remains that you can buy a 500 with a 28" barrel and three chokes for a hair over $200 brand new, or an 870 Express with the nice new stock and barrel for well under $300 (Remington is also doing a rebate right now, so take off $30 more I think). It doesn't make economic sense to trick out a stock 590 for hunting. If you have it set up like yours, you can hunt with it.

Then you can leave the 590 set up, and loaded, for defense, while leaving the plug in the 500 or 870 so you don't have to screw around when you want to shoot a bird or two.

MrMex
October 6, 2006, 08:54 PM
Well ust because my b-day coincides with hunting season Ive started to look around at hunting shottys. Ive been swingin by the pawn shops and so far I've found these: a Beretta 390 for $450, a winny 1300 28" for $140, and a mossberg 9200 for $310.

Now these are just some "im bored so lets go look at shottys" finds, nothing definte but Ive think i want a autoloader or o/u. To start off the bird killing, were going to hit the skeet place tomorrow and Im going to borrow a friends autoloader and just for ****s ....the 590 :)will make an appearnce at the skket range

rich e
October 8, 2006, 08:20 PM
MRMEX..I have a Mossy 9200..It has been a fine performer since I bought it 7-8 years ago...You would be well served with that shotgun in the field.

RiverwinoIA
April 10, 2007, 05:04 PM

Doggieman
April 10, 2007, 06:22 PM
"Can I use my Mossberg 590 for hunting?

Um yeah. Duh.

bowfin
April 12, 2007, 06:15 PM
You really need a choked barrel for bird or running game with shot to get effective range.

I would say it depends on where, what, and how you hunt. I used to hunt with a Winchester 1400 with the Poly Choke cut off, and my uncle has a NEF smoothbore 10 gauge slug gun with no sights. Based on these two guns used during a year's worth of days, I'd say that a choked barrel isn't as necessary as most would think.

The following are my own observations with bird hunting, but since my hunting experiences, methods, and habitat might not jibe with yours, what I would use for pheasants might not jibe with your opinions...

I would say 75% of the prairie chicken and sharptail hunting I have done would be better accomplished with no choke compared to a modified. Sunny days and no wind, and they get up within ten yards. Cloudy days and wind and you'll be seeing 40 and 50 yard flushes, lots of luck with any choke.

Ducks coming to the decoys, most are under 25 yards, and most nontoxic shot patterns tighter than lead, so you would be okay with no choke. Jump shooting, depends on how sneaky you are. I wouldn't feel handicapped without a choke.

Geese, probably need a choked barrel, at least with the luck I have decoying them...

Quail with a dog, or even without one, one doesn't need a choke.

Pheasants with a pointer, don't need one, pheasants without a dog, I'd say yes. Late season pheasants with or without a dog, I'd take a modified.

Doves definitely need a choke...

Hungarian Partridge, not a lot of experience with the few around here, but they get up far enough away to need a choke.

Turkey is supposedly a no brainer, but the big guy in the picture got his two birds one weekend with his NEF single shot 10 gauge slug gun (no choke) and Federal Premium #4s:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/artsmom/bettertommike.jpg

He doesn't shoot if they aren't within 20 yards of his decoy.

Some shotshell loads seem to have "choke" built into the wads and buffering. Federal Flightcontrol wads are an example. One summer years ago, I patterned shotguns and loads until my shoulder started going numb from the turkey loads. 90% of what I saw would be what anyone would expect, but then some patterns defied logic. One of my brother's Ithaca M37s would always put more Federal Premium #2s into a 6" circle at 30 yards than Federal #4s, time and again. Shot up a whole box of each, because I knew that the #4 load had a lot more pellets.:confused:

If all I had was a 12 gauge with no choke, it wouldn't bother me a bit to hunt any gamebird, but I would sure run a ton of shells through my gun and see if I could find some loads that would tighten up patterns when needed.

Smitty in CT
April 13, 2007, 10:32 AM
Does this model allow for barrel changes?

How many rounds does your gun hold??

If you have a 6-shot (5 in the tube, 1 in the chamber), it looks like the barrels for the 835 will work on the 590. You CAN'T shoot 3-1/2" shells from the barrel because the ejection port isn't big enough and it won't allow you to eject them, but anything under 3" should work fine.

Anybody out there have both a 6-shot 590 & an 835?? This would be great information for everyone if someone has both and can tell us...

Kimber1911_06238
April 13, 2007, 10:48 AM
Keep reading everyone saying that mossberg smoothbore barrels can be used for slugs, not true. Many mossberg barrels are overbored, meaning that the slug can turn sideways in the barrel and blow it up...very dangerous. If you have a shotgun with an overbored barrel you can't fire slugs through it....

Carl N. Brown
April 13, 2007, 11:16 AM
Be aware that some 590 (8 shot tube) may have a plug
for a 500 (5 shot tube) that will allow more than two
in the magazine.

Make sure that the plug actually does limit your magazine
to two rounds of the ammo you will be carrying in the
field.

I used a length of wooden dowel to make a plug that
barely accepts two 3" shells but will not accept more than
two 2 3/4" shells.

Plugs in 835 3 1/2" turkey guns may limit you to two 3 1/2"
but they will accept three 2 3/4" and if caught, it is a
hefty fine even if you only put two in the magazine.

Zero_DgZ
April 13, 2007, 11:22 AM
Smitty: Mossberg barrel interchanges are linked to magazine tube length.

You can use any Mossberg barrel on any Mossberg shotgun (within reason, pump/auto barrels don't mix insofar as I know) provided you stick with the same magazine tube length and nut style. The 590 has a different barrel nut that makes the gun easier to field strip without tools. Because of this, the lug that goes over the magazine tube is different from that of a Mossberg 500 barrel and you can't directly stick a 500 barrel on a 590.

But.

Both the 500 and 590 (and probably others) have the same thread on their magazine tubes. You can drop a 500 barrel onto a 590 if you also stick a 500 mag tube on there that matches the type needed for said barrel. You can stick any barrel from any 500 on any other 500 as long as you have a mag tube to go with it.

You can even stick a 3.5" barrel on a 3" gun if you're a glutton for punishment, but the lifter/extractor/ejection port won't work right because the shells are too long, so single load only. Plus, Mossberg will probably be pretty cross with you if you break your gun (and/or injure yourself blowing it up) and then want service for it.

Carl N. Brown
April 13, 2007, 11:24 AM
590's are straight cylinder (at least my son's is).

My 835 was overbored (turkey choke) and was not
suitable for slugs. The mid section is greater diameter
than the base of the slug, so the slug wobbles then it
hits the more contricted choke. I suspect there is
more damage to the slug than to the barrel, except
the barrel leads badly and accuracy is nonexistant.
Straight cylinder or improved cylinder bore for slug ONLY.
NO over/bored tight/choke turkey barrels.

I do not believe the 590 and 835 barrels are compatible
with either the 590 magazine tube or 835 magazine tube.
As I recall, the magazine tubes are different in length.

MudPuppy
April 13, 2007, 11:27 AM
I use mine for hunting, works just fine.

I was shooting clays and then set it down on a plastic wrapper of some sort and it melted and got stuck on he barrel. Granted, I should have be paying more attention, but it was a PIA.

I've got a shroud on it now though.

Personally, I find normal guns incredibly boring. That's my opinion. But more importantly, find out for yourself what you like. :cool:

bowfin
April 13, 2007, 03:40 PM
Personally, I find normal guns incredibly boring.

It's not what you have, it's what you do with it!

...I meant with guns, although I guess that fits with a lot of other things...:rolleyes:

Dave McCracken
April 13, 2007, 07:01 PM
Mudpuppy, a couple figures.....

50-75K,best estimate of all shotgun rounds I've fired.

40-60K, best estimate of handgun rounds.

20-30K, Centerfire rifle rounds, mostly in 30-06, then 7.62 Russian, 30-30, 7X57, 6.5X55, 45-70 and some oddballs like 6MM Rem, etc.

Maybeso 50K rimfire, almost all 22 LR. Sorry I can't be more exact, I started shooting 22s in the late 40s.

And enough ML stuff to go through at least 10 lbs of 3X black powder. Started that in the 60s.

I've owned upwards of 50 firearms, from pocket autos to 14 lb benchrest machines firing teeny groups Way Out Dere..

None of them were boring. Most were fairly close to stock.

You may want to rethink how you regard standard firearms....

If you enjoyed reading about "Can I use my Mossberg 590 for hunting?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!