Old Weatherby or Winchester stock?

PDA

fatelk
September 30, 2006, 07:58 PM
I have an old rifle stock I'm unsure about, thought I'd once again take advantage of the vast amounts of knowledge and experience on THR.
I've had this stock for years and was told it's a pre-64 Winchester model 70 stock when I acquired it. It has a Weatherby recoil pad but it wasn't fit right. Recently I thought about putting it on my newer model 70 but it is quite different, even the hole spacing is wrong. I've also seen a couple photos of Weatherby rifles that look the same, forearm tip, diamond inlay in grip cap.
I can see that someone has messed around with the inletting and bedding at one time. I'm starting to wonder if someone modified a Weatherby stock to fit a Winchester. Is that possible? I have neither of those rifles, thought I might sell it on ebay if I could figure out for sure what it fits. Of course as soon as I do that I'll find a great price on an old model 70 with a trashed stock. Been there done that sort of thing before..
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Old Weatherby or Winchester stock?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GooseGestapo
October 1, 2006, 02:40 AM
Without actually holding it in my hands, I WILL say it's a Weatherby stock.

I wouldn't alter it, as it appears to my "internet" eyes to possibly be off one of the early Weatherby's that were put on some of the Santa Barbara Actions. In which case, the interior "fitting" of the Stock may have been from the factory. (I base this on the "DyeChem" blue die used in the staining of the interior stock). This tells me it was done professionally. (or is that just your lighting- sorry, can't be sure!)

The ill fit of the recoil pad is where someone has shortened the stock. These rifles had a reputation for excessively long stocks, and IIRC, were 14-5/8" LOP from the factory. (I'm 5'10" and cut my stocks to ~13"), so they were LOOONNNG !.

I doubt that it was ever "adapted" to the WinMod70.

A Weatherby affectionado could give you a better idea if he had it in his hands.

Again, this is just what I can tell from the photo's.

I could be WRONG. It could even be a good "clone" of a Weatherby stock by a good stock maker.

Hard to tell from photo's.

A friend has an older Weatherby Vanguard that has a stock that looks very similar. Beautiful stock (if you like the style, he does), and great shooting rifle (moa w/Hornady 130gr BTSP over 54.0gr IMR4350 -.270wcf).

fatelk
October 1, 2006, 07:48 PM
Thanks for your help. The blueish color in the stock is just my lighting; still learning with this digital camera. I never thought about the stock being shortened, that would definitely explain the pad. The inletting looks anything but professional though, pretty bad when you look close. They drilled a bunch of small holes and used some kind of pink epoxy. I think I might just put it back in the closet until I get a chance to try it on an old model 70, but it sure does look Weatherby.

If you enjoyed reading about "Old Weatherby or Winchester stock?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!