M-1 Carbine problems

PDA

bender
October 1, 2006, 11:43 AM
I took my M1 Carbine shooting today, for the first time in over 10 years probably. It used to be very reliable. It's a WWII Inland.

Sometimes this morning it would not fire even though a round was chambered. I was shooting the rest of my old reloads from the early 1990s. They were 110gr "short jackets" (exposed bullet was all lead), but I used to shoot those and they worked ok.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I should probably shoot FMJs.

Every few rounds it would not fire again, even though a new round was in the chamber. I wonder if it chambered the next round, but did not cock all the way...? Is that even possible?
or maybe firing pin not striking? Sometimes the trigger just would pull back a little, but do nothing (just like if it was not cocked). Sometimes the trigger did fire, and I hear the hammer hit the firing pin, but ... nothing happens. Take the round out of the chamber, and no marks on the primer... just like new.

I'm not much of a gunsmith, I do have the book called "know your M-1 carbine", guess I'll take a look at it.

any ideas?

oh yeah, also the top of the handguard came off (the wood top half). I see where there is a metal lip that holds the forward part of the handguard on, but what holds the back part on? I see 4 sunken screws in the back of the handguard.

If you enjoyed reading about "M-1 Carbine problems" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
4v50 Gary
October 1, 2006, 11:48 AM
Try the ammo in another gun, like a Ruger revolver or Thompson Center. This is to test if the primers are still good. If the ammo is good, then the problem is with the gun.

Remove the bolt. Check the firing pin. Be sure it's concentric and nicely rounded. Second, if you can't disassemble it, then soak it in solvent to clear out the oil. Gummed up oil can impede the foward movement of the firing pin, thus depriving it of the momentum required to crush the primer.

TrafficMan
October 1, 2006, 12:31 PM
There should be a little lip on the wood that holds the rear of the handguard onto the rifle.

I had similar problems with my Aftermarket M1 Carbine. It sounds like the bolt isn't fully going into battery...if you give the charging handle a little nudge forward, it should function just fine. Also, these rifles like a little grease. Grease 'er up a little and it should help things out...polish the chamber as well. Good Luck.

bender
October 1, 2006, 03:51 PM
Some of the "non-fires" were the first shots by my son. My first thought was that he had too light of a touch when pulling the bolt back to chamber the first round.

I don't have anything else that shoots .30 carbine.

I'll try to field-strip it and give it a good cleaning. Might as well learn to field-strip it, never done it. I use Lubri-plate for my milsurps.

Blackfork
October 1, 2006, 03:59 PM
Yep, too bad. Those things just go bad after 60 years or so. Nothing to be done except to toss it. I'll give you 20 bucks, sight unseen. I'll even come pick it up. Just gather up all the pieces and put them in a sack.

You can put the 20 bucks on a Walmat 10/22 and shoot cheaper and be happy as a clam!

mljdeckard
October 1, 2006, 06:24 PM
I also have an Inland that my grandfather got for $15 when he joined the NRA in the 50s. I've cleaned it meticuluously, and I've never had a problem with it, but I would like to send it to Fulton Armory for new springs, a tune-up, and maybe a barrel when I have a couple of hundred bucks to spare.

bender
October 1, 2006, 07:00 PM
I'm gonna learn to field strip it, and give it some maintenance & cleaning.

I thought it was obvious that this thread was not a complaint about M-1 Carbines, I was just mentioning some recent things about mine. I love the carbine and it's one of my favorite guns.

Some act like I'm trashing a classic military rifle.

georgeduz
October 1, 2006, 07:04 PM
you going to need the gas piston wrench,when u clean it.

bender
October 1, 2006, 09:38 PM
The handguard coming off was because the barrel band at the front had gotten a little loose and moved forward a little, thus releasing the handguard.
The barrel band has never been able to be pushed back far enough into the handguard to allow the spring lever underneath to pop back up thru the hole in the barrel band. That why it moves forward over time.

Another thing I noticed while messing around (I haven't taken anything apart yet) was that the rear sight was loose (can slide it back and forth sideways). I mean the entire rear sight assembly... Actually, it came off completely - and its not supposed to.

It appears that there was some "epoxy" or something under it. Maybe the previous owner had to stick it down cuz it was loose. The entire assembly slides into a track on top of the receiver. I think its supposed to be kind of permanantly held in place... not sure. It is the later "stamped" type of peep sight. How do you fasten it down permanantly ?

Dave Markowitz
October 2, 2006, 08:25 AM
you going to need the gas piston wrench,when u clean it.

Not for routing cleaning. Unless you are taking the gun all the way apart for detailed cleaning, or tightening a loose gas piston nut, the nut should be staked in place and not removed during normal cleaning.

bender
October 2, 2006, 10:13 AM
yeah, my m1 carbine book (by Larry Ruth & Scott Duff) says not to take that nut off if possible.

What's involved in a field strip of the Carbine? I mean, my book details COMPLETE disassembly, but it requires a few special tools. However, the book also mentions that basic field stripping can be done with no tools.

What's done in basic field stripping? I don't see much of anything that comes off without tools, except the magazine :)

and as I mentioned before, my rear sight comes out of the dovetail track. How does one put it back 'permanantely' ? My book says a "special tool" is needed to remove it or put it back. Mine just slides in and out of its dovetail.

MrAcheson
October 2, 2006, 03:08 PM
How does one put it back 'permanantely' ? My book says a "special tool" is needed to remove it or put it back. Mine just slides in and out of its dovetail.I don't think the sight is pinned in place, but I don't have my M1 in front of me. It is probably held in place by a force fit (like the front sight is around the barrel). Unfortunately yours has probably worn the dovetail so badly there is no force to the fit anymore. You probably need a smith to weld it up and recut the dovetail. You could try shimming it with a thin piece of metal or glue/locktite/silver soldering it in position.

With basic stripping you pull the barrel band off and then you can remove the barreled action from the stock (upper and lower). The recoil spring comes out, the slide comes off, the bolt comes out, and the trigger group can also come off the bottom by pulling a few pins. You can basically clean and lube everything except the inside of the gas system and a few other nooks and crannies.

If you enjoyed reading about "M-1 Carbine problems" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!