Opinion on possible purchase (AR10A4)

PDA

Bob R
May 14, 2003, 10:45 AM
I found an AR10A4 in a pawn shop yesterday. The guy is holding it for me today.

It is in excellent shape, has the green furniture (less evil?), has a variable power Eurolux scope already mounted. It does not have a tripod, but, the stud is already there for one. It comes with 1 ten round mag.

He is asking 1k OTD, and is willing to do a 90 day layaway. I have looked at the various sites and this seems to be a decent price.

Now just looking for opinions.

thanks

bob

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinion on possible purchase (AR10A4)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Minuteman
May 14, 2003, 11:47 AM
Whether you should buy it or not depends on your intended purpose. Will this be a Main Battle Rifle, strictly a target rifle, a hunting rifle,...? As an MBR, the AR10 doesn't compare well at all with other .308 MBRs. For target shooting it's fine. My recommendation is, before you drop a grand on an AR10, invest $20 in Boston's Gun Bible (2nd edition) and read at minimum chapters 10 and 14.

Minuteman

Bob R
May 14, 2003, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the input. I think I have the MBR's covered with an M1A, M1, and then the C&R's I have. Hakim, SVT40, Drag Tiger, a few swedes and other various Russian types.

I am mainly getting this one for targets, 'yotes out the back door ( untill I get my .17 centerfire), and just to shoot.

I was looking at a Stoner SR25, but they are really expensive, and just try to find mags for them.

THis will be my first foray into the AR world, bur probaly won't be the last.

bob

Redlg155
May 14, 2003, 02:53 PM
Nice guns and not too bad of a price.

For the same price you can get a brand spanking new DPMS .308 AR. This is a new product, but the initial reviews seem very promising. It might be worth a look. There is some talk of them over at AR15.com.

I'm seriously considering one myself in the very near future.

Good Shooting
Red

mcshot
May 15, 2003, 08:35 AM
I have one in .243 that I carry during whitetail season. Great fun gun and accurate but not my choice for walking/stalking as to heavy.

swingcatt
May 15, 2003, 08:54 AM
Sounds like a good price and you seem to have a gap in your collection between "A" and "R" that it would fill.

I'd hit it.

SC

Cableman
May 15, 2003, 04:23 PM
My AR10A4 is my favorite rifle. Shoots MOA if I do my part. The only problem is the high price of mags. But now that Armalite is selling the mag rebuild kits again, 20 round mags are down to $40

I paid $1,200 for mine new, so $1000 used is a good price.

TechBrute
May 15, 2003, 05:41 PM
It's a good price. If it was local, I'd own it already.

rock jock
May 15, 2003, 05:44 PM
You might do better:

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=8848972

Cableman
May 15, 2003, 06:13 PM
One thing to think about - Eagle Arms version has a 1 year warranty - Armalite has a lifetime warranty.

Both are made by Armalite.

Bottom Gun
May 16, 2003, 01:11 PM
FYI, the Armalite warranty does not transfer and is only valid for the original owner. The use of reloads voids it too.

Aside from that, I really like my AR-10A4. It's reliable and very accurate. Mine doesn't have a muzzle brake. I understand the brakes make the rifle VERY loud.

I think it's just as reliable and rugged as the AR-15's.
I ended up putting a RRA trigger into it which was a great improvement since I almost needed a fence stretcher to pull the original one.

I'm planning to hunt with it this fall even though it's a little heavier than my bolt actions.

ShaiVong
May 17, 2003, 11:41 PM
Wow, fence stretcher. That brings back farm memories. *shudder*

355sigfan
May 18, 2003, 05:43 AM
Alot of AR10 owners have found themselves as beta testers for Armalite. People that have had good luck love the rifle. But Armalites poor quality control makes for many unhappy owners as well.
PAT

mcshot
May 18, 2003, 08:03 AM
First I've heard of "beta testers" and "poor QC" in reference to Armalite. The AR10 has a long history and I believe it is well rung out i.e., refined and proven.
I have three and think they are the best.

355sigfan
May 18, 2003, 02:00 PM
Well part of the problem is Armalite is not Armalite of the past. The name Armalite was purchased by Eagle Arms. Also go over to AR15.com and read on the AR10 page. There are multiple people besides me with problems. People are having problems with feed ing and extraction, trigger(me) dust covers falling off and magazine issues. I also purchased an AR180 from them that broke in half at the lower reciever pivot point. They are having problems.
PAT

BusMaster007
May 18, 2003, 02:30 PM
355sigfan,

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=62&t=160041&page=2

Looks like you've been there already, under the other boardID.
I hope this works out for ya.
I'm thinking the trigger upgrade on the Special Project might be worth the initial investment.
Does that sound correct for this application?

BusMaster007

mcshot
May 18, 2003, 06:13 PM
Appreciate the link to the AR10 page. I need to check out that site more often.
To date my "Arms" have been flawless but I now know what to look for if things go HS.
Thx,
mc

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinion on possible purchase (AR10A4)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!