Thinking of a new project...

PDA

Il Duca
October 1, 2006, 08:27 PM
Ok, I want to do a semi-custom rifle for hunting. Here's what I was thinking:

Start with a Savage (I like the tang safety and Accutrigger) either 10 or 11 model. I am wanting to rechamber it to a caliber that would make the rifle unique, something out of the ordinary. So far I am thinking hard about .358 Winchester. It's nothing outrageous and would be useful for the game in my area, plus you don't see it hardly ever. Ammo is a non issue. I found a company that produces ammo made from resized .308 brass. After I buy a few boxes I will load my own. The brass is necked up from .308 so I will start with a .308 rifle to avoid having to fiddle too much with the bolt. I would like my end result to look like a safari rifle. Iron sights, with a low powered scope on top, barrel mounted swivel stud, with a classic wood stock.

My question is does anyone know who I might contact to get a barrel made in a medium sporter contour without breaking the bank. Installation and headspacing I can do myself, I just need a barrel. And is their anything else I need to consider? This is a project I will hope to start in the next couple months so there is no rush.

If you enjoyed reading about "Thinking of a new project..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hazzard
October 1, 2006, 08:31 PM
Start by calling these guys. They specialize in savage rifle custom jobs.

http://www.savageshooters.net/sharpshooters/index.html

I don't know if they can do your specific caliber, but they may be able to point you in the right direction.

Il Duca
October 1, 2006, 11:49 PM
Thank you for the info. I will definately check with them.

If you enjoyed reading about "Thinking of a new project..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!