My Camp 9...

May 14, 2003, 11:06 AM
Just got it out... how'd I do for $220?

Mikey D...

If you enjoyed reading about "My Camp 9..." here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
May 14, 2003, 11:46 AM
Very nice!
Just out of curiosity, what kind of magazines does it use, and how easily available are they? The standard-capacity ones, not neutered ten rounders.

May 14, 2003, 11:55 AM
You know, I don't know... it has one ten rounder that came with it. I'll try to get more info as the days progress...

Mikey D...

Mike Irwin
May 14, 2003, 12:20 PM
The Camp 9s use double-stack S&W magazines.

My Camp 9 has surprisingly robust recoil for a rifle shooting 9mm ammo.

May 14, 2003, 12:40 PM
And a nice deal, too.

Now go get yourself some 15-round mags from CDNN or Keisler's, or a 20-round Mec-Gar mag from Kelley Arms, and go have plinking FUN! :)

Here's links to the right pages; these companies have all been great for me to deal with:

May 14, 2003, 01:13 PM
The recoil is robust all right. The bolt in my Camp 45 weighs 15 ounces, 1 0z shy of a pound.

Fron the stock it looks like yours may be a pre-ban. You should check out the serial number with Marlin.

You did great on the price. Remember to replace the buffer and spring. When I got mine, the recoil rod was bent from lack of maintenance.

May 14, 2003, 01:25 PM
Thanks, guys. Erich, I'll check out those links.

Meowhead, It has one 12 rd Marlin mag; at least, the baseplate says Marlin.

The recoil doesn't seem much at all, to me; just a nice push I really like. I took it out back, and set my bag up at 25 yds. After the first shot (pizza box target; they work great!), there was the hole close to center. Fired the next two shots, and only saw two holes. I figured I missed completely with the third shot. Turns out the second hole was a bit big! I loved it!

Ledbetter, I'll check into the buffer and spring; it's gonna be a ton of fun, I can tell! How do I check with Marlin?

Mikey D...

May 14, 2003, 03:48 PM
I love the Camp 9! I've had mine for about 2 or three years and it's one on my favorites. The only thing handier is a pistol. Your price was good. IIRC, I paid about the same.

If you take the first two digits of your S/N and subtract it from 2000, it will give you the year yours was made.

You can use 10 or 15 round mags for the S&W 59 series(ie. 5904, 5906, etc). Once in a while you can find original 12 round Marlin mags, but they are very pricey. I sold the two I had and used the money to buy more 15 round mags.

J&G has some good prices on the pro-mags.

Here's a pic of mine

May 14, 2003, 04:13 PM
What kind of mag pouch is that? GI?

$220? Man, I hate you!!! ;) I've always wanted to get a Marlin, but the only ones I've found went for the same price as a brand new Ruger PC9 (which is what I eventually got). The Ruger is nice, but I still want a Camp 9.

May 14, 2003, 05:31 PM
DMK... the first two digits are 10. That means it was made in 1990? It's a pre-ban? I'm even happier!

Mikey D...

May 14, 2003, 07:15 PM
Steelharp, yep it's a preban. Mine's an '89. I've never seen too many made after the early '90s. I don't think they selling too well, probably due to the large number of Chinese SKS's available for cheaper. Very soon after the AWB, Marlin dropped them completely.

Razor, that's actually a surplus WWI 1911 pouch. I've found that double stack mags will fit in the one's with the rounded covers. The one's with the triangle covers are too tight. I attached it to the stock with wide velcro straps wrapped all the way around(soft side down!) and fed through the belt loop of the pouch. I stole the idea from the M1 carbine pouches of course. It gives me 45 rounds of Hydrashok on board

May 14, 2003, 07:54 PM
Great price, neat rifle.

And its not even tactial black or anything??

Seriously, that little rifle would be a great plinker or IDPA side match toy, not to mention a good defensive weapon.

May 14, 2003, 10:44 PM
I'm sorry Marlin quit making those. I've kinda wanted the Camp 45, but have had a hard time justifying it.
What purpose would it serve? Is it necessary? I guess it'd make a nice truck gun, but I have a SLR-95 which is probably the same size and with a more potent caliber.
If nothing else I guess it would be just a fun gun. But for $220 or even $275 I'd save for one, if only Marlin would restart production.
Ruger ought to consider making a .45 version of their other two pistol caliber carbines, that would suffice.

Target Shooter
May 14, 2003, 11:14 PM
You got a heck of a good deal on it. The mags that you will need are 59 series magazines for a S&W. You can still get meg car or Pro mag 15 rounders from CDNN for about 16.00 apiece. I think you will enjoy that little carbine. My dad has two of them and I have been trying to get him to sell one to me.

May 15, 2003, 12:14 PM
I have a camp 9 and camp 45. Great rifles and blast to shoot. Does anyone know where to get new buffers and springs for them?

May 15, 2003, 12:39 PM
Did it come with a manual? These things are an absolute PITA to strip down and re-assemble properly, because you need at least three hands and the patience of Job to do it properly. Have fun :)

May 15, 2003, 01:02 PM definitely has them. Maybe too. I bought a reserve supply (and an extra triggerguard) in case they quit making them.

Check out

May 15, 2003, 02:11 PM
SDC, no, no manual. Where can I get one?

Mikey D...

May 15, 2003, 02:46 PM
How about this from Uncle Mike's (

And in Tactical Black no less :D

May 15, 2003, 02:52 PM
Marlin will send you a manual free.

May 15, 2003, 02:54 PM
I have a preban as well

Picked it up with a choate folder as well as the original wood stock

I like it because the folded size fits in my range bag and I can shoot it at ranges that limit you to pistol calibers without getting the third degree cause I walked in with a rifle case in hand.

I can chew the head off of a target at 25 yard with the iron sites...

Some ammo has proved problematic, but springs are available from wolfe and Brownells has the buffers

May 15, 2003, 07:13 PM
SDC, you can make reassembly easy by using undersize 'slave pins' to hold the works together while you get everything lined up; insertion of the real pins will drift the slaves out.

Save the slave pins in a ziploc bag, for next time! ;)

May 15, 2003, 09:03 PM
NOW you tell me... :)

If you enjoyed reading about "My Camp 9..." here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!