help with a new gun

PDA

gicts
October 1, 2006, 10:07 PM
First off sorry, I'm sure this comes up often. I am a 19 year old college student on the university's club trap and skeet team. Basically as competitive as you want to make it. There are people who have shot at Nationals and junior olympics and of course people who have never shot. I've been shooting for about a year and really enjoy it. I've been shooting an old mossberg 500 pump and think it's time to step it up. Went to a few local gun stores and found 3 guns I felt comfortable with
citori for $650
ruger red label for $950
or winchester supreme field for $950
all are slightly used and are in near mint condition.
I don't know the exact length of the barrels but the citori barrel seemed a little short. I'll be shooting mainly trap and being 6'2" I'd like something that could reach out a bit. I would also like removable chokes. I don't believe the ruger had that, however that fit me like a glove. Of course noone online can choose for me, but being fairly new I was hoping to get a few opinions as to those guns and how they match up price wise and how they will serve for mostly trap. Sorry for the length and if this post is in the wrong section. Thanks in advance for any help.

If you enjoyed reading about "help with a new gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ATAShooter
October 1, 2006, 10:24 PM
Ok, let's see, A Citori would be the choice I'd go with out of those 3. And if you are not going to shoot doubles, get a Browning BT-99, you can get them used all day for 650 and up. I had a Winchester select, LOVED the way it looked, but was unhappy with performance and recoil. Ruger Red Label... OK, here I am going by word of a fellow trapshooter,... " It was an OK starter". HIS words not mine, as I have never fired one. But no matter which you choose, GET IT FITTED, ... that makes a million percent difference in ability for sight plane, sight picture, swing, and comfort of recoil.

gicts
October 1, 2006, 11:53 PM
I have heard both a lot of good things and bad about the ruger red line, enough to make me want to stay clear of it yet it fits so well! I want to shoot skeet from time to time with it so I'd like to stick with an o/u. The only thing about the citori at the shop is the barrel seems a little short (26-27"?). Has anyone else seen a citori for $650 slightly used? Sure seems like it'd be more than that.

BigV
October 2, 2006, 07:48 AM
I have used a Browning Citori for sporting clays, trap and hunting upland birds for many years. It is by far my favorite gun for this purpose. It has 26” barrels and “invector” choke tube system. Although I have never used any of the other guns you mentioned, I would recommend the browning and $650 seems to be a great price (even for a field grade) for a used Citiri.

ATAShooter
October 2, 2006, 01:36 PM
I had a chance to see a Citori used one time for 500.00 ... problem was, the barrels were too short for trap. Wouls have made a heck of a skeet gun though. My preference for trap, is nothing shorter than 30".

gicts
October 2, 2006, 06:01 PM
well the citori is 26" and have fixed barrels of M and IC. Perfect for skeet and had I enough money I'd get it and a trap gun but I'm thinking of settling for the winchester

ArmedBear
October 2, 2006, 06:33 PM
A 26" Citori is all height and no length. I wouldn't want one for any reason whatsoever, especially if I were 6'2".

Since you're 6'2", a 30"+ Citori may suit you well. A BT-99, also, if you're shooting singles only.

Of those guns, I'd get the Ruger, especially if it fits.

Why do you want removable chokes? A double gun already has two chokes, generally. Removable chokes are overrated, especially for trap. M and F are all you ever need, and F is all I ever use. If the gun has M and F, I'd buy it. I have a box full of chokes for my BT99, and I wish it had a fixed barrel so it would be easier to clean. My old 1100 has a fixed Modified barrel, and it's worked for everything I've done with it. Removable chokes are a cleaning hassle; the plastic from wads accumulates on them and it's a PITA to get it off.

Note that none of these are trap guns. They have field stocks. That's not a showstopper; depends what you want.

The Deer Hunter
October 2, 2006, 07:03 PM
I dont know who started the myth that you need a long barrel for anything. I have 2 shotguns with 28" barrels and they shoot just as accurately as the guys with the 36 inchers.
Matter of fact, at our club the top shooter uses a Benelli SBE with a 28" barrel.

ArmedBear
October 2, 2006, 07:15 PM
Long barrels have nothing to do with accuracy, and no one ever said they did.

Long shotguns have everything to do with a smooth swing, which enables a skilled trapshooter to hit a hard left or right bird at 27 yards.

Even then, the BARREL doesn't matter; it's the overall length and balance of the gun. This will be different with a repeater vs. a break-action, with a typical semiauto receiver adding nearly 5" to the overall length.

At close to 50" long, 28" Benelli SBE II is LONGER than a 32" BT-99 trap gun, and only about an inch shy of a 34" BT-99, since the SBE II has a semiauto receiver.

gicts
October 2, 2006, 07:34 PM
the reason that I was wanting removable chokes as well as 2 barrels was to be able to shoot skeet or sporting clays as well. Something a little flexable, but not quite a multi-purpose gun. Regardless of barrel length the citoti is plain short, shortest on the shelves to be exact. That leaves the ruger and winchester in my price range and seeing the ruger is also fixed I spent a little time looking at the winchester. It's nice, has a good feel and look to it, nicely engraved. However it doesn't seem to be all of $950.I could be just a little nervous spending so much, not really sure. I have searched serval forums and google and can't seem to find the gun except here
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=57311449

ArmedBear
October 2, 2006, 08:17 PM
How is the Ruger choked, BTW?

The Winchester is a nice gun. The price doesn't sound bad. Doesn't sound great, either.

I'd start looking elsewhere.

gicts
October 2, 2006, 08:58 PM
the ruger is fixed at F&M so I wouldn't be able to shoot much else than trap.

ArmedBear
October 3, 2006, 12:10 PM
Frankly, $950 isn't the greatest deal for an old Ruger anyway. Is it a Woodside or something?

It won't cost you all that much more to buy a brand new one, particularly if you find one on sale, or bargain for it.

In general, though, M & F will serve you fine for 5-stand, SC and hunting -- essentially everything except skeet.

PJR
October 3, 2006, 02:37 PM
Is there a requirement that you shoot an o/u or can you choose a semi-auto?

Of the guns you've listed I wouldn't recommend any of them for an all-round clay target gun that can be used in skeet, sporting and trap.

I'd strongly suggest that in the $950 price range you should consider one of the Beretta semi-autos either the 391 Urika or the 3901 with choke tubes.

If you enjoyed reading about "help with a new gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!