locktite on a 870 forearm nut?

PDA

saands
October 2, 2006, 12:06 PM
I tried to get the forearm nut off of my new 870 Express last night and it was (is!) on so tight that I am wondering if they used bearing retainer on the !@$#@! thing! Is this normal? I have read posts about people using open needle nose pliers on these and I can't imagine that working with this one. I had made a "spanner wrench" out of some pins held in a small vise but it wouldn't budge. I didn't bugger it badly, but I did scratch it a little :mad: and I'm thinking that maybe I should drop the $20 for a wrench from Brownells. This is a right-hand thread, right?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Saands

If you enjoyed reading about "locktite on a 870 forearm nut?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
EShell
October 2, 2006, 12:27 PM
Yes, right hand thread....lefty-loosy, righty-tighty. :)

The correct stock wrench is configured like a tube with tabs on the end and will let you get **much** more leverage than improvised tools. With the right tool, they usually come off without drama.

I have seen these really tight, sometimes a little rusty, sometimes a little stock finish in the threads, never loc-tite. Might pay to put some penetrating oil on the tube thread (usually a little section is exposed behind the nut), then stand the assembly up muzzle-down overnight, to let the oil get into the nut and threads.

Be careful how you stabilize the tube. The forend can be split during this operation if you grip it for leverage and apply a lot of pressure to the wrench.

FWIW, if it could have been removed with needle-nose pliers, it wasn't tight enough.

ocharry
October 2, 2006, 01:01 PM
hi saands,,, take the fore arm assembly off the action and put it in a padded vise,,, and use the proper wrench,,, i put the forearms in a vise with wooden jaws,,, and with the proper wrench you can concentrate on keeping the wrench teeth engaged in the nut slots..... the spaner wrench needs to fit the nut really good when they are really tight...... hope this helps

ocharry

saands
October 2, 2006, 01:08 PM
Thanks ... I'll order the right tool ... in the long run, I'll be happier.

Saands

Fred Fuller
October 2, 2006, 03:48 PM
It's easy to bend/twist the action bar arms when trying to remove a stubborn forearm tube nut. Be careful...

lpl/nc

saands
October 2, 2006, 03:55 PM
I can see how easy it would be to bend things ... but if you can't hold onto the wood (it muight break) or the metal (it might bend), HOW is a guy supposed to apply enough torque :confused: :confused: :confused:

Saands
(thinking that I need to find that old can of kroil before I tackle this job)

Plink
October 2, 2006, 04:11 PM
I went through that same thing when I replaced the forend. I didn't break or bend anything, luckily, but it was close. Get the right spanner, use penetrating oil, and be careful. What I did was remove the assembly, and carefully lock it up in a vise by the action arms. Lock it as close to the tube as possible to reduce the stress on the arms.

Shawn Dodson
October 2, 2006, 04:13 PM
One of mine (brand new 870P) had wood splinters fouled in the screwthreads, and I damaged (collapsed) the action bar tube from the torque I applied. I contacted Remington and the service guy said they use a special fixture that prevents this kind of damage, and that I *should* have sent it to them to remove. I argued that the damage was the direct result of defective workmanship and Remington replaced the damaged part for free.

You might consider contacting Remington for guidance.

Cheers!

Bix
October 2, 2006, 04:53 PM
My own fault, though.

I'd read all about surefire foreends coming loose and tying up the gun, so after installing mine, I slathered the nut with blue (removable) loctite and cranked that sucker on good :D .

After about 170 rounds of bird/buck/slugs, the foreend came loose as promised. When I went to tighten it, it wouldn't budge. Applied vice grips for leverage and promptly folded the action bars together and collapsed the tube. It had to be cut out from the forend with a dremel tool.

And all of this a two days before a weekend shotgun class :)

Moral - apply loctite sparingly (if at all), get proper tool, and check fore end nut often. Oh, and encourage your friends to run the same weapons platform as you - good source of emergency parts.

james481
October 2, 2006, 07:40 PM
Hmm, I haven't seen any problem with the SureFire fore-end loosening up, but I don't have that many rounds through it yet. Thanks for the heads up so I can keep an eye out for that. It is nice how SF includes a fore-end wrench right in the box. For me, installation took about 2 minutes in my living room using only the SF tool and my multi-tool pliers. I guess my foreend nut wasn't that tight, apparently.

gezzer
October 2, 2006, 09:53 PM
Hint: DO NOT try to remove the nut while the gun Is ASSYMBLDE! You WILL break it.

If you enjoyed reading about "locktite on a 870 forearm nut?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!