Shotgun Legal question:

PDA

lurkersince03
October 2, 2006, 03:17 PM
A pistol grip shotgun without a stock is still a BATF classified shotgun, right? So even a pistol grip only shotgun needs to have an 18.5" barrel?

If you enjoyed reading about "Shotgun Legal question:" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mikeb3185
October 2, 2006, 03:23 PM
check local gun laws here in ny i think that would be a no go

AJAX22
October 2, 2006, 03:35 PM
unless you have it registered as an AOW or SBS then yes all shotguns need 18.5 inch barrles.

some local ruled are different, where I live you have to maintain a 26inch overall length.

Fred Fuller
October 2, 2006, 03:40 PM
Unless it's a legally registered and transferable AOW (any other weapon), then the barrel can be shorter.

http://images.gunsamerica.com/upload/976677888-1.jpg

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976677888.htm

lpl/nc

Exmasonite
October 2, 2006, 03:43 PM
i remember from my NRA CCW course here in michigan that the legal consultant said any shottie w/ pistol grips was illegal in indiana or illinois.

Loyalist Dave
October 2, 2006, 08:29 PM
I think the actual fed regulation is a barrel of 18.5 inches, AND and OVERALL LENGTH of 26". So if the reciever and grip don't add 7.5", it's considered a sawed-off shotgun, so it would be a class 3 weapon.

LD

Rob62
October 2, 2006, 09:01 PM
Federal law states that in order to be legal a shotgun needs to have a barrel with at least an 18.0" barrel. This is measured from the face of the bolt, with the action closed to the muzzle (crown) Measurement is done by inserting a rod down the bore of the gun and measuring. Also a shotgun needs to be a minumum of 26.0" overall.

Both lengths MUST be met. i.e. have at least an 18.0" barrel and be at least26.0" overall in length. If barrel length or overall length are shorter than what I just posted then the shotgun must be registered with the BATF as an Any Other Weapon (AOW) or Short Barrelled Shotgun (SBS). Depending on how it was registered and who manufactured it, cost for the tax stamp would be either $5 or $200.

Here is the direct verbiage of the reg:

"The term "short-barreled shotgun" means a shotgun having one or more barrels less than eighteen inches in length and any weapon made from a shotgun (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches."

Local city, and state laws may vary.

Rob

If you enjoyed reading about "Shotgun Legal question:" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!