McMillan vs. Accuracy International

PDA

DocHarman
October 2, 2006, 06:39 PM
If you were building a rifle in .308 (off of an remington 700,) would you chose a professionally bedded McMillan A5 or an Accuracy International chasis?

All comments are welcome!

If you enjoyed reading about "McMillan vs. Accuracy International" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
L.Puckett
October 2, 2006, 11:13 PM
Doc,

I wish I had a good answer for you. I have 2 of each since I can't make up my mind either. LOL.

My best suggestion is to get down behind each one (somehow) and dry fire each for several minutes and see which one you prefer. To me they both are very comfortable.

My observations though are: the AICS is more of a prone stock (not exclusive though), the A-5 is better for all positions. Beware the "saddle" cheek piece on the A-5's versus the adjustable pillared type. The saddle will put your eye a little more off the bore center line and with a critical eye relief scope (high power) it will not be quite as comfortable.

Both stocks should be bedded to obtain the best accuracy.

LP

IV Troop
October 3, 2006, 12:19 AM
AICS is out of buisness. I have an A5 Mcmillian and prefer it but it is all in how it fits You not me.

Mute
October 3, 2006, 02:48 PM
I like both stocks but I prefer AI, YMMV. Also, AI is not out of business. They had some financial issues but they are back up and running. Tac Pro Shooting Center (http://www.tacproshootingcenter.com/index.html) is their primary distributor here in the U.S.

SILENTSOUL308
October 3, 2006, 03:43 PM
one vote for mcmillan, I have an A5 that I love, but sadly I cannot say I've ever used an AI. The AI's look pretty cool though :)

Coronach
October 3, 2006, 03:53 PM
AI is not out of business. The AICS is in very limited supply or unavailable, though, supposedly due to the war in Iraq. I have NO IDEA if that is accurate, that is just what I heard.

AI is still around, though.

Mike

Zak Smith
October 3, 2006, 06:14 PM
AICS vs. a McM stock comes down to personal preference and ergonomics. Once you add a DBM and bed it, they are about the same cost anyway.

ALS
October 3, 2006, 07:08 PM
Again it is personal preference. My opinion McMillan make one of the finest guns out there. That isn't just my opinion but Col. Norm Chandler Sr. of Iron Brigade Armory's also. If I didn't like my 3 Chandler's so much I would own a few McMillan Bros rifles.:evil:

Accuracy International makes one very nice gun.

Zak Smith
October 3, 2006, 07:10 PM
I thought we were talking about stocks???

boonie
October 3, 2006, 07:51 PM
What is the consensus on bedding an AICS type stock?

I've seen some sources say that it needs to be bedded, and others say that it doesn't.

I've always thought that bedding was to help eliminate shifting of the receiver in a soft wood stock, and that the aluminum chassis would eliminate this problem.

Zak Smith
October 3, 2006, 08:04 PM
It's not required.

USSR
October 3, 2006, 08:09 PM
Check this link to an article I wrote several years ago, to see my take on this:

http://www.snipercountry.com/InReviews/McMillan_A-5_Stock.asp

Don

DocHarman
October 3, 2006, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the comments thus far. First, I was under the impression you did not (or could not) bed an AI. Anyone have a definite answer to this? Second, the AI will actually be cheaper, if I do not have to bed it.

L.Puckett
October 3, 2006, 10:16 PM
DOC,

Zak knows AI's better than most folks and I agree, bedding per AI is not necessary.

The man that builds my best rifles is Terry Cross, and he feels that there is an accuracy gain in using a small amount of bedding in the rear and near the recoil lug. His rifles shoot amazingly well, so I go with his recommendations.

I would think that you could start without and somewhere down the line if you want have it bedded.

LP

Coronach
October 3, 2006, 11:20 PM
Zak knows AI's better than most folks and I agree, bedding per AI is not necessary.

Is that "not necessary" as in:

1. Will do nothing to benefit accuracy?

or

2. still might do something small/minor to benefit accuracy, but you could get away without it?

My inexperienced opinion was that using the chasis system made bedding completely unneeded, and that bedding might actually make things worse, since you're fiddling around with the stock/receiver interface (and maybe even de-floating the barrel), and the whole point of the chasis was to make the interface as rock solid and simple as possible (but, like I said, I'm inexperienced in this regard).

So...which is it? Any idea?

Mike

Jonathan
October 4, 2006, 01:19 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/TerryCross/R700SA1C.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/TerryCross/R700SA1B.jpg

No, it's not my action or test. 25 in-lb on the rear bolt.

DocHarman
October 4, 2006, 03:05 PM
I was researching McMillan prices, and there prices are pretty high. I am looking at a $475 for the stock, with at least $250 dollars in upgrades and another hundred (or $200) to get it bedded.

The AI chasis is $750 for the whole sha-bang, if I don't get the folding stock.

Decisions, decisions!!!

Zak Smith
October 4, 2006, 04:25 PM
The vast majority of AICS users just screw the action onto the chassis, shoot, and get great results.

Terry also knows what he's doing.

kieran
October 4, 2006, 04:58 PM
AI are most definitely not out of business. right now, demand is far outstripping supply.

i'm a tall bloke with 'long' hands. there is something about the AI stock's thumbhole which is more comfortable by design. i prefer the non-vertical grip as well, compared to the 'cornerpiece' grip of the a-5.

it does come down to small considersations. the AI stock is more expensive initially, but if you try one and like it, you wont need to replace it. though you might end up buying more. ;)

Erud
October 5, 2006, 10:14 PM
I was asking the same question about a month ago while looking to re-stock my 700P. I was not able to test either stock and I decided on the AICS 1.5 based on reviews and other info I found online. Price was also a factor, and the money saved on gunsmithing to bed the action and install a DBM tipped the scales to the AI. I have been very happy with it so far - without bedding I have seen a slight accuracy increase over the factory HS Precision stock. Tac Pro had them in stock when I ordered and I had it to my door in about 4 days. Resale value on either stock should be pretty good, so if you are unhappy you can probably get most of your money back.

Good luck,
Erud

Sogmanzulu
March 4, 2007, 02:05 PM
I have the 700P in .300 Win Mag, and am interested in the AI Chasis. The price seems right, but I have others are trying to influence me to buy American. I like the way the AI looks over the McMillan, but I have never held either in my hands. Any coments on the AI's quality?
:confused: :banghead:

USSR
March 4, 2007, 05:47 PM
The man that builds my best rifles is Terry Cross, and he feels that there is an accuracy gain in using a small amount of bedding in the rear and near the recoil lug. His rifles shoot amazingly well, so I go with his recommendations.

Terry built my last rifle. He does indeed know what he's doing.

Don

thertel
March 4, 2007, 06:48 PM
I'm biased as I work for TacPro, but I do like the look and feel of the AICS over the McMillan units. The supply of AICS's has been very short for the last little bit, due to quite a few reasons but they are definently still being made and imported.

Thomas

Sogmanzulu
March 4, 2007, 08:33 PM
Thomas,

I called TacPro yesterday inquiring about the AI chasis, and I spoke with a lady who asked me about the PSS being built before 2007. She stated that the recoil lug is different on the newer PSS rifles. I bought my .300 Win PSS in 2002, but am thinking about buying a new PSS in .338 Lapua (if I can find a dealer that has one). I wanted to be able to swap the stock back and forth between the rifles. Any idea if this would be possible?

thertel
March 5, 2007, 11:08 PM
Thats a good question, I didn't know about the recoild lug being different on the 2007 PSS rifles, I'll ask Bill when I get a chance about that for you

glimmerman
March 6, 2007, 10:08 AM
Just to let the members here know, The McMillan bros is NOT!! the origonal McMillan Gun co. started by Gail McMillan. Gail McMillan sold the origonal comp back in the early 1990's and they have since folded. The Mcbros started sometime in the late 90's early 2000 and while they do have some of the ideas of there father they are not the same company.

LouforAI
November 13, 2008, 08:21 AM
I got one custom made 7mm R Mag AI and a just built a custom 300wMag from an old Savage. I like them both very much. Great tappers.

LouforAI
November 13, 2008, 08:26 AM
For those who own an AI. I just came up with the thumb screws for the chiek piece. I tried to locate one and was not able to find them here in US. so here is my thumb screws if anyone is interested

If you enjoyed reading about "McMillan vs. Accuracy International" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!