"Belly Wrap Holster" Good for CCW?

PDA

Crosshair
October 2, 2006, 07:45 PM
I am getting my CCW permit and I am looking for a holster. It is easy enough to conseal a gun in the winter here, but summer it can be a big problem since often all that you wear is jeans and T-shirt making it very difficult to conseal anything other than a derringer. I was thinking about getting a "Belly Wrap Holster" from Sportsman's Guide. (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=213575) Has anyone used these before and how did they like them. I want to CCW my Charter Arms Bulldog in 44 Special but I am having trouble locating a holster and I think that the belly hoster would be my best bet for a summer time holster.

On another note. Does anyone know about a good pocket holster for the Bulldog. In winter I would probably want it in my jacket.

/Thanks all

If you enjoyed reading about ""Belly Wrap Holster" Good for CCW?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Geronimo45
October 2, 2006, 09:00 PM
Should be an IWB that would handle your gun. Don't know if there's pocket holsters for one of those... look up a few custom makers and email them, ask if they've got any for your gun, or would consider making them.

omcf
October 2, 2006, 09:18 PM
Heartily recommend Mikas custom made pocket holsters: relatively inexpensive, stays in the pocket when you draw, doesn't print, lightweight, super fast draw, and maintains proper orientation of the gun in your pocket.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/pocket.htm

John Wesley
October 2, 2006, 10:54 PM
If I need good concealment for a large gun a belly band is sometimes about the only thing that will work and it seems to work well.

The only problem I have had with them seems to be perspiration. In fact, yesterday I wore one (it had been a while) and when I got home I noticed that the entire side of my gun had beads of sweat on it. :cuss:

Neither my t-shirt or covering long sleeve shirt had any damp spots - just the side of the gun that faced my body. :what:

Presentation will be slightly slower than other modes of concealment also.

Summertime is when I need it most and it is the worst time to wear one. - At least in my case.

Vonderek
October 2, 2006, 11:36 PM
Belly band...ugghh! I got one early on after I got my CCW (along with a bunch of other holsters and contraptions that ended up in a box). At least for me, a belly band is sheer torture. I could wear it in the south Florida heat for about 15 minutes before I could stand it no more.

Now if it's a J-frame or smaller it goes in the front pocket in a pocket holster (a cheap Uncle Mike's works fine). Larger than a J-frame goes in a IWB. Look for one with a perspiration shield or wear an undershirt.

rtl
October 3, 2006, 12:41 AM
I found the belly band to be about the most uncomfortable way to carry. Gave mine to my brother-in-law who threw it away after he tried it once.

For warm weather (inexpensive) carry, when not carrying via belt slide, I usually go with an Uncle Mike's IWB. If your t-shirt is long enough, in a pinch you can also carry an Uncle Mike's IWB clipped in your pocket, grip exposed (but concealed). If wearing light walking shorts without a belt, I've also clipped an Uncle Mike's to a nylon gun belt worn low on the waist under the shorts with the tip of the barrel just to one side of the 'package'.

RonC
October 3, 2006, 01:21 AM
I wore it once on a hike and it irritated my back and sides. It hurt every time I moved. I had red marks in those areas that lasted for days.
I won't use it again, but if I did, I would wear it over an undershirt, and never directly on skin.

Ron

usp9
October 3, 2006, 09:10 AM
Just how do you draw a gun from these things with any degree of speed and subtleness?

symr00
October 3, 2006, 10:48 AM
I have one, not that brand and use it occoasionally. Mostly for jogging. You will sweat on the gun but that's normal on most carry that is not OWB. I think pocket carry is pushing it for the Bulldog. You might look into the Barami Hip Grips http://www.baramihipgrip.com/ They offer an easy summer alternative carry and are quite comfortable.

wuchak
October 3, 2006, 11:07 AM
I think the smartcarry, http://www.smartcarry.com/, is a better option than a bellyband. It puts the weight on your hips, is quick to draw from, absolutely invisible, and has a moisture barrier to protect your gun from sweat.

Zundfolge
October 3, 2006, 11:41 AM
My first concealment "holster" was a belly band.

They do conceal well, but there are trade offs.

The sweat has been mentioned, but I had a worse problem ... the constrictive nature of the band caused a pretty bad case of IBS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irritable_bowel_syndrome) :uhoh: .

Also they aren't the most secure thing in the world, the gun moves too much for my liking.

However they are the best "tuckable" holster out there.

I still have my belly band (although I've sewn a leather holster into it). I wear it for formal events when I have to wear a suit and need real deep concealment.

fiVe
October 3, 2006, 11:52 AM
Heartily recommend Mikas custom made pocket holsters: relatively inexpensive, stays in the pocket when you draw, doesn't print, lightweight, super fast draw, and maintains proper orientation of the gun in your pocket.

Another vote for a Mika pocket holster. Robert's craftmanship and service are A+ first-rate. I REALLY enjoy my round-cut.

Safe shootin'!

fiVe

Trisha
October 3, 2006, 01:14 PM
Good choice in revolver, btw, especially if you handload. VV N340 does wonders.

I'd recommend KL Null for their kydex inverted shoulder rig - superb.

DFW1911
October 3, 2006, 08:42 PM
Crosshair:

I know a guy who carries using one of these:

http://www.tidepoolwebdesigns.com/kangaroo/

Personally, I have no experience with one, but he swears by it and wears it all summer long...in Texas. May be worth a look.

Sorry I can't help w/ a good recommendation on a pocket holster for your Charter Arms, I'm just not that familiar with them. Are you adverse to a belt holster? I think your options might open significantly if you'd consider using one.

Take care,
DFW1911

If you enjoyed reading about ""Belly Wrap Holster" Good for CCW?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!