Grips For Colt Detective Special

PDA

tackleberi
October 2, 2006, 08:32 PM
Just scored an excellent condition Colt Detective Special that will likely become the primary carry piece once I put a few hundred rounds and a couple of IDPA matches through it.

The only mod I will make to the gun is a set of grips to replace the oversize, square-butt ones that came with the gun.

What grips have you put on this gun that really soften the square-butt profile but still give you a solid grip on the gun? The only ones I have found have been Hogue, but there have to be more out there.

I have also been advised that Barami makes their excellent Hip-Grips for this gun, but they tend to be a bit slick for my preferences. Unless I find something else from the forums then, I may go for the Baramis.

If you enjoyed reading about "Grips For Colt Detective Special" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dfariswheel
October 2, 2006, 08:46 PM
The more or less "standard" grip for the Colt "D" frame guns is the Pachmayr Compac.

This is a round butt rubber grip with a cut for the little finger.
Colt used this grip on later guns, and is still about the best grip available for a Detective Special.

It's small enough to conceal well, but offers a really good grip.

Standing Wolf
October 2, 2006, 10:47 PM
http://www.herrett-stocks.com

magsnubby
October 2, 2006, 11:58 PM
Lots of grips out there for the D frame Colt:

www.badgercustomgrips.com

www.cdnninvestments.com (have a pair of their checkered walnut grips on my Viper. They work great)

www.handgungrips.com

www.eaglegrips.com

www.getgrip.com (HOGUE)

www.grips4guns.com

Or the best rubber grips on the market:

www.pachmayr.com/pachmayr

Ric
October 3, 2006, 10:37 AM
I put Badger grips on mine and recommend them. I got a lot of "finger slap" with the original grips.

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/1749/detspcbadgergrip6ou.jpg

Starter52
October 3, 2006, 11:37 AM
Lots of 'em on eBay.

I'm just the opposite of you, tackleberi. The grips for the Detective Special is the only pair of factory grips that fit me. All my other revolvers wear Pachmayrs or Hogues.

mainmech48
October 3, 2006, 01:05 PM
Second the Pachmayrs. Be aware that the grip frame is different on the old, "skinny barrel" DS/Cobra and the later issues. I don't think that they'll fit both models in one stock number.

Vern Humphrey
October 3, 2006, 02:06 PM
On my '60s-era DS, I find the Tyler T-Grip is the ideal solution. It makes for a more secure grip, protects the middle finger from bumping, and adds no bulk to the gun.

magsnubby
October 3, 2006, 10:57 PM
Ric,
Those are some great looking grips. Nice gun also.

If you enjoyed reading about "Grips For Colt Detective Special" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!