Went to the Range today after long hiatus

PDA

Broadbill
October 2, 2006, 10:38 PM
Spent the day at the range today with my sons. I set them up with some 22s and tried to get down to business.
I had a Savage/Anshutz 22 that my Dad had given me that I never got a chance to fire, and 2 Ruger 77s one in 22mag and one in 22HMR.

I should state that I didn't have a decent rest, I smoke like a fiend, and I haven't been to the range in probably 10 years.

Anyway I started off at 50' to get on paper, so far so good.
Then I tried the Anshutz at 50 yds with Eley target ammo.
First 5 rounds measured 3/8". Mint put that one away.

Then I tried the new 17 I just got and had the hots for. After reading the reviews I had good intentions of taking it to 100 yds but I couldn't manage anything better than 1" at 50.

And I couldn't even do that well with the 22mag.

I used the Hornady 17 & 20gr bullets in the 17 and the Remington 33gr v-max in the mag.

Granted it was kinda windy, I was shakey, and my scopes were 2-7 & 3-9.
When we used to shoot 22-250 it was with 6.5-20 scopes.

When I got home I checked the 17 has a pressure point at the tip of the stock and the 22mag is damn near fully bedded.

Would both of these improve with full floating? I figure this would be the first step before triggers and glass.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. There was a guy near me shooting an out of the box laminated stainless Savage in 17 (don't know what model) tearing little 1/2 groups consistently.

Thanks,

Broadbill

If you enjoyed reading about "Went to the Range today after long hiatus" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
10-Ring
October 2, 2006, 11:59 PM
Nothing like a good trip to the range ;) & to have shared that time w/ your boys...(to steel a phrase from an advertising company)...priceless!

Jackal
October 3, 2006, 12:25 AM
I am sorry, but if a 3-9 scope aint enough magnification at 100yds, then you may need more practice.

rangerruck
October 3, 2006, 04:00 AM
hwo old were the 17 and the 22 mag? because those are two rimfires, that def need a couple hundred round break in before they can do anything. Then you also need a bore snake for the 17, most of them start shooting real well at about 25 rounds, and then start to fall apart again sometime after 100 rounds.
yes, you should def do something about the free float, check them cold, and hot, see fi the sticking points are moving around on you. with the teeny round, the 17 really benefits the most with a free float. go here for the best rimfire info.http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/

Broadbill
October 3, 2006, 07:42 AM
Thank you,
I'm sure that most of the trouble was my hold, and breathing. Both rifles are virtually new, and there was no cleaning done at the range.
I'll get some decent rests and try shimming the receiver to "float" before I break out the rasp.

Again thanks,

Broadbill

CornCod
October 3, 2006, 12:24 PM
I used to think I was an indifferent pistol shot, then I started shooting once a week. Four months later, I am now amazed with myself. I don't shoot like those guys who write for the gun magazines, but I am now very confident about defending myself.

If you can manage it, shoot once a week, you will be floored. Like the old joke about the New Yorker asking for directions to Carnegie Hall and being told to practice, you may not get to Camp Perry, but you will amaze your friends!

If you enjoyed reading about "Went to the Range today after long hiatus" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!