HD 870 Barrel

PDA

Famine
October 2, 2006, 11:31 PM
I'm looking to shorten up my new 870 for HD. I understand 00 Buck is the way to go, along with an 18.5 inch barrel. Two questions: (1) should this be an open choke, and (2) does anyone know where I can find one?:D

If you enjoyed reading about "HD 870 Barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rustymaggot
October 2, 2006, 11:33 PM
i donno what the correct term is but just a regular bore, or cylender bore for hd. that way you can shoot buck shot and slugs.

look on ebay for barrels. i see cheap ones there all the time.

Famine
October 2, 2006, 11:59 PM
I've been looking on ebay, and it seems I can either pay $110 for a new one, or $80-100 for a scratched one (depending on how bad it is). I'm not a "used" kind of guy. I like to know that all the scratches are from me. For some reason, I see $110 going on the credit card here pretty soon.

I suppose there is no real re-sale value in the stock 870 barrel?

Famine
October 3, 2006, 12:08 AM
Oops, spoke too soon. I found one for $50...of course there's 4 days left on bidding and the seller gives minimal info.

HiVelocity
October 3, 2006, 12:33 AM
Famine-

As a police officer, I'd opt against using 00 buckshot in HD situations.

First, most 00 Buckshot [including the low recoil tactical type] will penetrate sheetrock easily at "in house" distances. You would be taking quite a risk shooting at an intruder if someone you love is on the other side of the wall you shot at.

IF for protection outside, hiking, backpacking, etc. Buckshot is fine.

The cheapest High Brass birdshot, # 6 or 7 1/2's, will work just as well at the "in house" distances and will make every bit of a mess that 00 buckshot will. I've seen what both can do at close range...........ugh, nasty!

Just food for thought.

HiVelocity

Rupestris
October 3, 2006, 09:26 AM
Famine,

You can get a 18.5" parkerized, bead sight, I/C choked 870 barrel direct from Remington. The part number is 242243. Price is $96.40 + S&H.

The link below is the order form. On page two of the order form is a phone number where you can order direct with a CC.

http://www.remington.com/pdfs/PartsOrderForm.pdf

HTH,

Rupe

Fred Fuller
October 3, 2006, 11:43 AM
Remington has been putting fixed ImpCyl chokes in many of their 18-20" barrels in recent years. I like a degree of choke in a defensive-use shotgun barrel, because it tends to make patterns a bit tighter and more even. I LIKE tight patterns in defensive guns, other people don't. YMMV. At very short range, choke makes little difference, I want to be able to stretch my effective range with buckshot out to 25 yards before having to switch to slugs- thus my preference for choke.

I've bought used barrels from gun shops, from other members here via the 'sale or trade' forums, and from eBay. Never found one I was really unhappy with, so far. Some have taken a bit of experimentation or even modification to get to do what I want them to do, ranging from having forcing cones extended to the full treatment of extended forcing cones and having choke tubes fitted, but that's the luck of the draw. Shotgun barrels are more akin to magic than science, there is never any predicting what any given barrel will do. You have to experiment with it by shooting it on patterning paper to see, and then tweak as necessary. Cheap tweaks are trying different loads and shot sizes, more expensive tweaks are altering the internal geometry of the barrel.

Note which kind of magazine cap retention your gun has, and be sure to get a barrel that is compatible with it. Newer Express guns retain the magazine cap via the teeth on the plastic retainer that keeps the magazine spring in place, older Express guns, Wingmasters, Police guns etc. use a detent in the barrel ring that bears on dimples in the magazine cap rim.

lpl/nc

Famine
October 3, 2006, 05:03 PM
Famine-

As a police officer, I'd opt against using 00 buckshot in HD situations.

First, most 00 Buckshot [including the low recoil tactical type] will penetrate sheetrock easily at "in house" distances. You would be taking quite a risk shooting at an intruder if someone you love is on the other side of the wall you shot at.

IF for protection outside, hiking, backpacking, etc. Buckshot is fine.

The cheapest High Brass birdshot, # 6 or 7 1/2's, will work just as well at the "in house" distances and will make every bit of a mess that 00 buckshot will. I've seen what both can do at close range...........ugh, nasty!

Just food for thought.

I will admit, this has been a BIG concern for me. In my house, the bedrooms are at opposite ends of a long hall. I've been pondering 3 things.
(1) Use birdshot even though most think it's not going to put a person down
(2) Use 00 Buck and aim for the ankles
(3) Put up solid steel doors

If I did the third, I'd be instantly put into the "crazy person" catagory. I guess I can keep both shells handy, and I simple load up whatever I need for the situation? If my daughter is sleeping at the end of the hall, birdshot it is. If I'm alone, 00 Buck gets loaded. I'm still not comfortable with the solution. Hmm...so what if I'm crazy...what could I put on the backside of a bedroom door to stop 00 Buck...that won't break the door off the hinges from too much weight?

Famine
October 3, 2006, 05:04 PM
Famine,

You can get a 18.5" parkerized, bead sight, I/C choked 870 barrel direct from Remington. The part number is 242243. Price is $96.40 + S&H.

The link below is the order form. On page two of the order form is a phone number where you can order direct with a CC.

HTH,

Thanks!!! I like the sure bet; I've had too many "issues" with ebay. This is probably the route I'll take.:)

saands
October 3, 2006, 08:55 PM
Famine: hate to be the one to say it, but "aim for the ankles" is NOT a viable strategy ... a better one might be dropping to one knee and aiming COM ... any stray pellets are then launched up and clear of the others in the house (assuming you are in a one story place).

Also ... there are other choices besides just dove loads and 00 buck! You might consider #4 buck or #1 buck ... still get reasonable penetration without all of the energy of a 00 buck pellet.

I'd recommend a class (as expensive as they can be) to get the most important part of your HD system tuned ... you!

Saands

LaEscopeta
October 3, 2006, 11:31 PM
a better one might be dropping to one knee and aiming COM ... any stray pellets are then launched up and clear of the others in the house (assuming you are in a one story place).+1.

A search of this and the Strategy & Tactics forums will yield better explanations then this, but I think you have to work out a plan for not endangering others in your house before you need it. Rule four (know your target and what is beyond for the range of the ammo you are firing) is your guide. You need to consider entry points and where you and you loved ones could be when you become aware of an emergency, and have locations thought out where the threat has to come through a “fatal funnel” like a doorway or long hall to get to you. Work out the firing angles from your planned location and the funnel, so you know you are not endangering anyone beyond the threat. Firing up from a kneeling position (as noted in the post above) is what works in my situation, with down range shot going through the ceiling and into an attic with difficult access (not fixed stairs or ladder.)

The bird shot for home defense has a lot of supporters, but I believe any shot that will be effective against a threat will still be deadly after going through a normal, 2 piece of sheetrock interior wall.

SigfanUSAF
October 3, 2006, 11:44 PM
I suppose there is no real re-sale value in the stock 870 barrel?

There absolutely is! Depending on what your original barrel is, I think you'll find it will cover the cost of your 18.5" and then some. Ebay is a wonderful tool, for both buying and selling!

ojdidit
October 4, 2006, 12:16 AM
Famine, check out www.theboxotruth.com for shotgun loads vs. interior walls.

Rupestris
October 4, 2006, 12:49 AM
Thanks!!! I like the sure bet; I've had too many "issues" with ebay. This is probably the route I'll take.

Good call. It's the route I went with after I found that most used 870 bbls fetch almost that much.

Just so you know, I ordered mine early in the year and was notified that they were on back order. I was told to expect it in August. It showed up in late June so don't get discouraged if they tell you its on back order.

After swapping out the 26" for the 18.5" I thought they sent me the wrong bbl. There is a world of difference between a full length bbl. and a 18.5". It'll move the "BOOM" almost 10" closer to your head compared to the standard Express 28". Spend some time behind the trigger to get used to it.

I shoot pasture clays with a couple guys that feel they don't need ear protection. After a couple rounds through the short bbl, they start complaining about the noise that comes out of that short bugger :) .

tango3065
October 4, 2006, 08:51 PM
HiVelocity

You might want to rethink the birdshot, a local officer was shot within 20 ft from a 12GA and he still had enough in him to shoot the perp when he hit the ground. He is still alive but with the loss of one eye and lots of nerve and tissue damage to the neck and sholder and face, he has had multiple surgeries and you can hardly tell he was shot. He is still on the force but with only one real eye, he was promoted to detective.

Famine
February 27, 2007, 08:02 PM
Famine,

HTH,

I couldn't get this barrel when I first posted, but today I can. I went to Remington's site and could not find the barrel described above. All I see is the Express Bead Site, part number 24620, for $128. Is this the same thing?

I went to Cheaper Than Dirt and found the same thing for $112, but it says it is Matte Blue. What is Matte Blue? Doesn't sound like black, which is what I need. They also have a Mossberg barrel for the 870, but that says Blue too.

Is my synthetic 870 Express Super Magnum black, or is it matte blue. I guess I don't know what matte blue looks like.:(

Banshee
February 27, 2007, 08:59 PM
go here

http://www.remington.com/pdfs/rempartslist2.pdf

go down to page 37

242243 V-3 870 BBL 12/18 IC PARK BEAD (FIXED I/C NO CHOKE TUBE) $96.40

I ordered two of these last year. showd up in less than a week.

Mannlicher
February 27, 2007, 09:08 PM
keep the old barrel. you never know when you might want to go bird hunting.

+1 on the 00 buck.

If you could be certain that the only time you would ever need that shotgun would be when the perp was wearing a tee shirt, and was standing still at 10 feet, the misguided comments about using bird shot might be valid. Life does not always present such a scene. Shoot what will be most likely to serve the need in the widest possible range of scenerios. Bird shot is quite likely to be ineffective.

byf43
February 27, 2007, 09:19 PM
For your reading enjoyment.
Part # first - Description - Price

#242549 870 BBL 12/18” IC RS PK (FIXED I/C NO CHOKE TUBE) $135.00
#242556 870 BBL 12/18.5” MOD TRITIUM RS PK (FIXED MOD) $144.00
#242554 870 BBL 12/18” CYL RS PK $144.00
#242559 870 BBL 12/18.5” I/C FRONT RS (only) $144.00

Remington - 1.800.243.9700
M-F 9-5 ET

Please note: Remington charges the appropriate sales tax for your state + shipping.
Still, I'd rather buy something new for a good price than to possibly get something that MIGHT be not as advertised on e-Whatever.

I hope this helps.

Famine
February 27, 2007, 09:46 PM
Cool, thanks. I'll order tomorrow afternoon.

Snarlingiron
February 27, 2007, 10:24 PM
If you are fortunate enough to live near a Cabelas, they carry Remington 870 barrels in stock. Just walk in and get yourself one. It will cost you a few bucks more, but by the time you pay shipping it is about a wash. I bought the 20" improved cylinder one with rifle sights. Works great for shot or slugs at longer ranges. If you will use Hornady reduced recoil 00 buck, or Remington managed recoil 00 buck you won't have to worry about the choke. I doubt that an extra full turkey choke would make this stuff pattern any tighter.

toivo
February 27, 2007, 11:01 PM
That .pdf pricelist says 2006, but if you can get that price, go for it. The Remington website pricelist says $128, but Cabela's has them listed at $109.

PedalBiker
February 27, 2007, 11:41 PM
I like the I/C choked barrel with the rifle sights. I tried out some rifled slugs and they hit pretty much right on at 100 yards with no adjustments to the sights. With buckshot the pattern is good enough for HD and very close big game hunting.

I don't think the sights would slow you down in a point shooting situation, but they are nice otherwise. I havn't tried trap with the short barrel yet.

I'd be wary of bird shot indoors too. Don't count on being "safe" with bird shot either. My dad and uncle went after racoons in the corn crib one night and left 6" holes in 1/2" hickory and Oak boards that were the sides of the corn crib. I think they were using #4 shot high brass 12ga (1 1/4 oz duck & pheasant loads).

If you're not sure of what's behind your target you can't pull the trigger, bird shot doesn't let you off the hook, but it does reduce the danger vs buckshot.

I keep 00 buck in an ammo band on the stock (gun is locked up and unloaded). You just have to be aware of your surroundings. Once you pull the trigger you can't take it back. It pays to think ahead of time where your fire zones are and where the no fire zones are. In the Army we drew up a range card for every position we occupied. You could do the same for your house.

Snarlingiron
February 28, 2007, 01:13 AM
I havn't tried trap with the short barrel yet.

I have been out and shot clays with manual throwers. The rifle sighted barrel tactical gun gets me as many hits as my 26" barrel vent rib RemChoke 870. I don't think the bead points any better. When using it this way, I just ignore the rear sight and focus on the front.

Famine
March 9, 2007, 09:54 AM
I just got my 18" barrel from Cabela's--$109, $121 with shipping. And I must say, I like it! The barrel doesn't hit the ground if I hold it at my side, and since it is lighter, I can easily reload while staying on target. Nice!

I would have been a lot better off just buying the final product instead of piecing it together. But I never thought I would add barrels, extensions, and stocks to my guns after I bought them. I guess I got the bug?

Speaking of extensions, I see there is some talk about the best extensions on another thread. Based off of those discussions, should I assume that a $20 plastic extension is a bad choice? Why spend $100+ on metal? Does plastic break? I don't plan on throwing the gun or hitting anything...

Fred Fuller
March 9, 2007, 01:21 PM
should I assume that a $20 plastic extension is a bad choice?
==================

Yes. That's a safe assumption.

You don't plan on beating up the gun, but stuff happens. Especially when something real happens and your adrenalin goes sky high. A Choate steel extension that will fit your gun properly, and come with an extended spring, follower and barrel clamp list for a bit over $40 at one of my favorite mailorder sites ( http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=327264 ). That's a long way from a hundred bucks, and a lot more for the money than the other item you mentioned.

Stay safe,

lpl/nc

helpless
March 10, 2007, 01:45 PM
Not that this is what we are all "really thinking" but I finally got my 18.5 for my 870 and...

it looks way more bad ass. :evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "HD 870 Barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!