George Stringer?


Rick from Kalifornia
May 14, 2003, 02:09 PM
Any one here ever had any work done by George Stringer and if so how was it??

If you enjoyed reading about "George Stringer?" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
May 14, 2003, 09:08 PM
I had him do a pillar beddign job for me a few years back, did a good job and had it back to me when he said it would be.

Rick from Kalifornia
May 15, 2003, 07:07 PM
The reason i asked that question is to see if anyone here got burned by him other than me. in july of last year i sent him a 6.5 carcano rifle to be re-barreled by him. being an uncommon caliber i had to have P.T.G. in Oregon make me a 6.5 carcano chamber reamer and headspace guage. that cost me $172.00 i paid him $550.00 for a 6.5 sheilen C/M barrel blank and he was to true the action thread/chamber/and headspace it and also re-blue the whole gun. when i sent it to him in july of 2002 he told me it would take him two months to complete. after two months i called him and he said that sheilen sent him the wrong barrel. in late november that year i still did not recieve the gun, and finally was able to get ahold of him and he told me to send him the balance owed by Pay Pal and he would have the gun to me before christmas.
after xmas and still no gun i continued to call him and e-mail him and still no reply. come january 6th of 2003 i get a e-mail from saying that my gun was finished but just needed to be blued and he would have it to me by that next week. well the next week came and still no gun. again i tried to call him and e-mail him but got no reply. two months latter after trying to get ahold of him through hi e-mail and phone number i finally get a e-mail from his wife telling me that he had a heart attack and that it would be a while before he went back to work. so i e-mailed him back and told him to send me back the gun gun finshed or not and to deduct from the $550.00 for any work that he did and refund me the rest and to also make sure that he sent me back my carcano reamer and headspace guage.another two months went by before i was able to to get ahold of him. i finally got the gun this last tuesday and was horrified when i opened the box. nothing was blued, the barrel was off of the reciever and the threads on the barrel shank looked like they were stripped and did not match the threads in the reciever. you can slide the reciever three quaters of the way on the barrel shank before it will start to screw on. i put a sized 6.5 carcano case in the chamber and it slid in the chamber and the rim of the case was below the breach face so it is not chambered right.
and my 6.5 carcano reamer and headspace guage was not in the box. when i called him and asked him where those items were he said that they forgot to pack them with the gun but he would send them to me next day air. well next day air and still no reamer or headspace guage. so i try to call him and Lord and Behold his phone number is dissconnected. also his web page is gone and he is not answering any of my e-mails. so it looks like he burnt me Big Time as now i am out of pocket $772.68 and have a rifle that's just parts now. it doesn't even look like i can salvage the barrel the way he hacked on it. so to any of you reading this be wary of any gunsmith working out of Earlington Kentucky as he probably has changed his business name already. it's guy's like this that give gunsmith's a bad name. oh, he solicated me over at the AGI forum that i frequent that's how all this came about. but i'll never forget George Stringer. hope this info helps some one.

May 15, 2003, 09:10 PM
I've read that George has had a heart attack and other health issues. Before calling him a crook on a public forum, I'd verify all circumstances including who's minding the shop in his stead.

Rick from Kalifornia
May 15, 2003, 09:30 PM
EDIT: Deleted as repetitive.

May 15, 2003, 09:57 PM
Rick, I'm sorry about your plight, and I agree that you have rights in this case, namely to your property and to services you have paid for. I just wouldn't go as far as labeling someone a crook without being abreast of all details - do you even know if he is still among the living, for instance? Think about are putting a man's good name on the line, who may be gone or on his way out...

Hope you resolve this, I wish I had a contact to offer but I don't...

Rick from Kalifornia
May 15, 2003, 10:59 PM
I spoke with George Stringer 5:00 p.m. california time tuesday the 13th of may 2003 so yes he was alive at that time. a hour latter i called again and his son answered and wouldn't let me speak with George. if you read my post again you will see that i sent him the rifle in July of 2002 last year. so i ask you how long does it take to rebarrel a rifle. it's been 10 months and $722.68 latter and all i have to show for that is parts. at least when i sent it to him it was still shootable. so now i have no way in which to contact him and no way to get this resolved except through legal channels which i really did not want to do but he has left me no other recourse. what am i suppose to do, just say oh well to that $722.68 i don't think so. i worked hard for that money. i spoke with the Attorney's Generals Office of Kentucky today and they informed that even being from out of state i still have legal recourse under Kentucky Law. so if you or anyone else on this board can come up with a way to contact George Stringer, by all means please do so. all i want is my 6.5 carcano chamber reamer and headspace guage back and i will eat the $150.00 price of the barrel of the $550.00 that i sent him as i will have to find another gunsmith to do the work over again. is that asking too much. i guess it is cause like i said i don't have any way in which to contact him. if you have another solution romulus i'm open to it.

May 16, 2003, 12:53 PM
Regrettably, similar circumstances overtake many gunsmiths who fall into ill health and cannot complete projects because they are unable to work at their trade. If you follow the web sites devoted to firearms and gunsmithing, this is apparent.

George is known to many of us frm TFL. I speak for many, I'm sure, when I say I hope you will not label George a crook.

Can anyone please help get Rick's tools back to him?

Rick from Kalifornia
May 16, 2003, 02:02 PM
EDIT: Deleted as repetition.

May 16, 2003, 03:05 PM
Lots of people have heart attacks, hospitalized and return to normal lives. He's obviously living, but somehow refusing to deal with this problem honestly. If I were a decent man in his position, I wouldn't have accepted a penny from Rick and would do whatever it takes to make it right.

May 16, 2003, 03:18 PM
I've never met George, though I've cooresponded with him from time to time. It does appear that he is still alive... Sort of.

The story I got was that he had his attack while at work and he did die. For several minutes he was clincally dead, but his son applied CPR and brought him back. Good for his son!

But, as is frequently the case when someone goes through this sort of trauma, he has some lasting problems. Loss of memory is very common since blood flow to the brain is cut off for awhile. Many gunshop owners keep only minimal records, maintaining much of their scheduling and customer related information in their heads. I assume this is the case with George. While you're suffering considerable financial hardship from this chain of events, it could be worse. For instance: Don't get so worked up you have a heart attack.

May 16, 2003, 03:26 PM
If this is the case, it's odd that his son and wife aren't speaking up for him. The correct behavior should be to communicate with past/pending customers of his condition and arrange for resolutions. Disconnecting the phone and hanging people out to dry is not right.

Rick from Kalifornia
May 16, 2003, 03:39 PM
. . . .

May 16, 2003, 06:27 PM
Rick: sorry to hear you got reamed. It is definitely unfair that you will be out of pocket so much to re-do the work. If this was a business that he ran, his family may not be liable for the debts he had incurred. He may have been a nice guy and a lousy buisness man who overextended, took business he couldn't get to right away, and made optimistic promises.

I suspect you will be able to get your tools back with little problem because they are your property and you can prove that. As for monetary reimbursement, that may be harder: it's possible he may just declare bankruptcy and nobody gets anything. It really sucks when you have to write it off and move on, (it has happened to me), but that's how the law reads. Sometimes you just get the shaft and have to take the lumps from bad luck.

May 16, 2003, 07:32 PM

That totally sucks, dude. This might be one of those things that you have to chalk up to experience, regrettably. I hate the fact that rip off artists like this go around enjoying a great online reputation. I feel for you man.

May 16, 2003, 09:26 PM
I agree it sucks. However George has been around TFL for years, I think habitual incompetence or habitually dishonest business practices would have surfaced in that time. JollyWhite has given us experience to the contrary...worth a look before jumping to conclusions about a man's character.

Rick, I am sorry for your woes and hope you can resolve this

May 17, 2003, 12:01 AM
Wasn't George Stringer the Moderator for this here Gunsmithing & Repair board? If so, THR staff may know more about his condition than we do. They should speak up.

4v50 Gary
May 17, 2003, 12:21 AM
Just learned in the staph forum that George is a victim of Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA).

Ask any doctor and you'll learn that everybody recovers differently. Some spring back in a couple of months (I have one friend who is about 98%) and it's a wake up call for them to get into shape. On the other hand, some take months before to make a partial rcovery and even then they won't be working at the level they were prior to SCA.

As to George, we wish him well. We don't know when George will be back. From this thread, I know some folks are frustrated and I can't fault them. Please remember that all guns left with a Smith are entered into the records. Title remains with the owner and ultimately they must be returned. While I can't speak for George or his son, if George is permanently disabled, I'm sure they will conduct themselves honorably.

Byron Quick
May 17, 2003, 12:51 AM
The last time that George posted to this forum was the last time we heard from him to the best of my knowledge. I've emailed him a couple of times since February with no reply.

Rick from Kalifornia
May 17, 2003, 12:58 AM
. . .

Mal H
May 17, 2003, 08:44 AM
Rick, you've stated when you sent off your rifle to George around 6 times already. We understand the timeline here. I think the large majority of us feel you did, indeed, get the shaft in this deal. George's later heart attack doesn't excuse him from completing the work in around the time promised.

We understand. However, there's nothing any of us can do about it, so that is why you aren't getting many comments on the timing. No one is trying to make excuses for George. We understand.

May 17, 2003, 09:43 AM
I understand. I lost over a grand once due to a gunsmith's death. The people left to straighten out the situation did the absolute best they could considering that they had very little written information to work with. And it did take some time to figure it all out.

I also understand that ranting and raving in public and calling people names doesn't solve anything - no matter how good it makes you feel.

Good luck getting your problems resolved.


Byron Quick
May 17, 2003, 09:57 AM

We CAN use a calendar. We DO understand what you are saying.

However, YOU have had more recent contact with Mr. Stringer than we have.

We DO NOT have access to unlisted phone numbers, email addresses, or websites that are unavailable to you.

The phone number you had is the same one we had. The email address you had is the same one we had. The URL to a website is the same one we had.

May 17, 2003, 10:57 AM
I sympathize with your plight sir, but may I offer the thought that it (surmising) dang sure wasn't done to you intentionally. The fact of the matter (on this planet) is that;

Feces happens.
People get busy and behind.
People can be forgetful.
People are only human.
Falling behind can be the mark of a good workman cause everyone wants them to work for them. (right NOW)
Just because you contracted for a job with him doesn't mean the world started revolving around you.
With good gunsmiths, proposed delivery dates are (in my mind), proposed probabilities. (If the sky dont fall, heart attack dont come, wife dont feel neglected, workload dont bury them, etc.)
Its only money, some things are more important. I realize this may be hard to swallow when you are the one getting the short end of it but sometimes you gotta rise above petty frustration and be big about it.

George has done one job for me, custom built an extended mag tube for my sons 870 YE 20 ga., and it was late but good work. I didn't beat up on the guy for it being late. Just appreciated the completed good work. Every anxious phone call to him was met with respectful apologies and in no way did the guy ever leave me with the impression that he was a hack or crook or anything bad. A spirit of patience and understanding may not get your gun or money back as you wanted, but you'll feel better about it throughout the waiting process. Did you try saying a prayer for the man or just sit around cursing him?

Again, I DO sympathize with your situation. But lighten up on the man. There's obviously more to this than is known at this time.

May 18, 2003, 12:10 AM
George has always been a big help to me and many others, both on his own smithing board and through e-mails.

I have known many gunsmiths, factories, ect that have had problems similar to yours. While there has not been any intentional wrong doing by them that I am aware of, screaming about it only hurt their situation.
On the flip side, I was in at my Smith's today. A gentleman was in with his cowboy guns, he had trigger jobs and free-spin prawls put in them at different times. One was much smoother than the second and the cylynder spun smoother as well. Gunsmith said leave em both so I know what you are looking for and I will get right on it. Everyoen was polite and everyone was happy.

The point of this story Rick is that you came in here blasting George Stringer about being shafted. I have known him to be an honest man who will correct his mistakes if given the chance. We all understand you are having troubles getting ahold of him for your tools. If you would calm down a second and just ask us if we know how to get ahold of him or canhelp you I am sure many of us would. Most of the time in the gun world you will get a hell of alot more acomplished with asking for help and even a calm frustration than you will with flames. Calm down a sec will ya.

May 20, 2003, 05:25 PM
Has anyone tried emailing ?

That was George's email address, at least back when TFL was around. He sent me the parts diagram and takedown instructions for an old .22 rifle. I wouldn't have even thought to ask, if I hadn't seen how many times he had done similar favors for people on TFL. He sure didn't stand to gain any business on a 50 year old .22 that needed cleaned, but took the time to look stuff up, scan the pages and email it to me. I can see where someone that spent that much time helping people out over the internet might fall behind at work. I really doubt that he's dishonest or that he's trying to take advantage of anyone. Hopefully, he'll have a full recovery.

May 21, 2003, 01:40 AM
Six months isn't that bad and having a heart attack can sure put a crimp in things. I'd ask for my money and my tools and if I still didn't have them in 6 more months, I'd start getting more worked up.

I'm betting that he can't afford to give refunds right now, since he's effectively unemployed and it may be a bit before he's able to go to his shop to find things. Did it occur to you that he might not be able to pay his bills and that phone and ISP service got pulled.

Reason his wife and son didn't let you talk to him is that you probably flew off the handle - like he needs that.

May 21, 2003, 11:28 PM
I e-mailed him after I posted my last message to let him know what is going on. He re-plyed yesterday. Since we haven't heard back from Rick he must have gotten ahold of him.

May 21, 2003, 11:35 PM
I've never had any work done by the man, but he sure took the time to answer several of my questions many by personal email, I can't really believe that someone who would go to all that trouble could be a dishonest person. I for one hope he enjoys a quick recovery.

Gary H
May 22, 2003, 12:33 AM
George has gone way out of his way for me. He always came through and he never charged for his help. I can only think that there is more of a story here. George should have let his customer know the there would be a delay. I read these posts somewhat rapidly, so I might have missed this one...but was there a promised delivery time? I've had some real problems reaching some well known smiths. It isn't that they are bad folks, but I think that they are very busy. This isn't to excuse anything. I believe that health conditions allowing, George will make things good. All this aside, I sure hope that he is doing better... Wish you the best George.

May 22, 2003, 07:33 PM
I knew George before he had the Stringer website...Some other guy had it before him and George took it over.
He has answered several inquiries and like others have said, he took the trouble to scan and email some break-down things that I didn't have...How many ppl would do that??

I did send him some work once and he did it on time and the work was just FINE.

I've even offered to send him money for the scanned documents he sent but he declined it.

All in all I think the world of George Stringer..

I also had a heart attack a few years ago and it takes a long time before you're right again -- if ever..You lose your perspectives, your strength and your confidence.

Walt Sherrill
May 22, 2003, 08:29 PM
I've heard a complaint or two, privately, about George's work, over the years. A complaint or two. I think this message chain represents the third. But I've heard the same about my local gunsmith, whom I use regularly -- and wouldn't hesitate to use again. Sometimes complaints are well founded, sometimes people are just a pain in the butt.

In my business dealings with George, he has been a little slow but has done VERY GOOD WORK -- on two pistols, for me. (He did a trigger job on a S&W semi-auto for me that was raved about by anyone who shot it. I gave it to my son, and he traded it away. Sigh.)

Having a heart attack is not like breaking a leg. Bad stuff often follows, including depression, no stamina, poor concentration, often profound personality changes -- and then there's the sudden realization that you're mortal. It can be difficult to cope with.

The original poster was frustrated and angry. I understand; I think I would have been angry, too. But those posts did NOTHING to help the situation or resolve it. And George wasn't in a position -- due to his health -- to do much more than he did, when the writer DEMANDED that he return the gun as is...

I wonder if the original poster now understands the concept of "hoist on his own petard?"

If I were George, I'd do what I could to make things right as soon as I could, but I wouldn't rush about it -- as the original poster has already done what he could to harm me (George) in the one way most readily available to him.

As for the family not keeping people up to date, etc. -- most families have a lot of other things on their mind in this sort of situation -- especially if they're not involved in the business. They probably have jobs, other family [kids, spouses, other sick family members] to be worried about, and then they've got to look after the person who had the heart attack!

The family members of a one-man shop aren't much better than helpful neighbors when it comes to sorting out things in the business, answering customer questions, etc. Only the main business man knows the details, and if he's been on the verge of death, he's going to deal with it when he can, as soon as he can.

May 24, 2003, 01:40 AM
George did a .308 conversion on a 49/56 MAS and the job was very good and reasonable. When a man has serious heart problems it changes the way he thinks about a lot of things. If I can help George I will, but I will not put him down when he is already down.

June 6, 2003, 11:25 PM
That's pretty shocking. I understand your frustration and anger. George did some work for me a couple of years ago and offered free advice to me numerous times online - the work was good and the free advice was always helpful. I don't doubt your story, but those who have dealt with him know that something must be seriously wrong, perhaps in addition to the health problems. Sorry to hear about this. I hope that George is OK and that someday your issue can be resolved.

June 12, 2003, 07:20 AM
Hi, someone from another forum linked me to this thread.I sent in my father's My Hunter revolver to George last August for a repair and refinishAfter I sent payment in, I never heard back from him and after his heart attack, I asked to just have my gun back, fixed or not.The last time I spoke with him in May, he said he can only work 2 hours a wee/day per Dr orders.He said he'd have my gun ready within 2-3 weeks.After 3 weeks and no gun, I called and yep, phone was disconnected.I understand he can't work on guns but I don't understand why the man couldn't send me back my gun.I'm moving next month and he does not respond to my emails.He has read them according to a read receipt.I threatened a call to his local police and ATF if he didn't contact me and he still hasn't.I did call the police and the Earlington police chief said it was a civil matter.I called the cout in KY and they want ME to go to Earlington for court! Not only that, they need Georges address to serve the papers but if he didconnected his phone, how do I know he didn't close down his shop/work address?I beg to differ so I contacted the ATF and am awaiting someone who handles stuff like this to call me back.If anyone else is having problem with him, please let me know and I will let the ATF know and mention this when I go to court to get my gun back.

Rosco Benson
June 12, 2003, 10:25 AM
"Stuff", indeed, does happen. I had a pistolsmith, with whom I had developed a friendship, die while I had a gun in his shop. Fortunately, another friend of ours, who lived near him, worked diligently to get all the customers' guns and parts back to them. I wrote off the money I had paid and had my project completed by EGW. My dead friend had the only acceptable excuse for not answering phone calls and e-mails.

I have every sympathy for a person who gets sick and can't complete their projects. I can understand and accept that funds that they've already used up can't be refunded. I find it hard to excuse not answering the phone and e-mails. Even if one has to own up to not being able to honor one's commitments, one ought to communicate the situation...honestly and those who had entrusted one to do a job for them. Most persons are pretty understanding if given the facts. Most persons get angry if they're being dodged and given the run-around.

There is also no excuse (unless a bankruptcy court has pad-locked the premises) not to return one's property. If the gunsmith is too broke to pay shipping, then tell the customer that and most customers would pick up the shipping tab to get their items back. However, not communicating with those customers makes this sort of resolution impossible. The customer, quite correctly, feels that his property is being held hostage.

Hiding, incommunicato, just makes a bad situation worse. Just my opinion....but a pretty reasonable one.


June 12, 2003, 11:13 AM
Bad health / heart attack can force a man to change his priorities. Not that he would maliciciously keep your stuff, but he's likely in a life & death situation, and added stress from irate customers (right or not) could kill a man who's had a heart attack. Would you feel better if you badgered him into fixing your gun, and he died from the stress of it? At least you got your gun back, right?

No gun is worth killing a man over. No customer is worth killing yourself over, no matter how much you'd like to do the right thing. I sympathize with your situation, but I'm going to say more prayers for the man and suggest you all do too.

Priorities people!


June 12, 2003, 01:36 PM
Bad health / heart attack can force a man to change his priorities. Not that he would maliciciously keep your stuff, but he's likely in a life & death situation, and added stress from irate customers (right or not) could kill a man who's had a heart attack. Would you feel better if you badgered him into fixing your gun, and he died from the stress of it? At least you got your gun back, right?

You're absolutely right.That's why I told him to just send the gun back to me as is.I just want my property back, he's had it for almost a year.Is that too much to ask?

June 12, 2003, 09:28 PM
No thats not too much to ask but assuming George is a man of integrity (seemed so when I dealt with him), even a nicely worded correspondence with him could stress him by making him want to get it done but state of health stops him. He probably knows he's getting people mad, but is powerless to deal with it at the present time.

A less than nice correspondence would be even worse. Somebody said they told him that they'd sic the ATF on him etc.,
Heck, his wife probably checked his E-mail, saw the irateness of correspondence and shut it down herself so he couldn't get on there and stress himself to death over it.

If it were me, I think I'd send em a snail mail (hard copy) of a letter/card expressing concern and sympathy, and detailing the property he has and saying that when time & health permits, to contact you to work out the details of return. Then his wife could save the letter(s) for him to go through when he is stronger.

You know how loving wives like you care, friend for life. Act like you dont care, on the s**t list and not even worth a response.

June 13, 2003, 01:59 PM
I've had guns worked on by George and I like him. However, I would not describe him as timely in his dealings.

Also, I believe there is a huge cultural discrepancy between Tennesee (and other southern states) and urban California in matters involving speed of response to requests for service. Just an hour a day in the shop would allow the identification of items that should be returned to their owners rather than retained any longer. Has anyone received any property back from George in the last three months?

I wish George a speedy and complete recovery but I disagree that it is improper to demand your property back after the passage of so much time. It is also improper to sever communications with patrons owed money or their property, for any reason.

After enough time, any excuse for inaction begins to wear thin.

Nero Steptoe
June 13, 2003, 05:34 PM
Hey, Rick! WHEN did you say you sent your gun to George? Your sad saga sounded so interesting the first seven times you told it, I thought you'd just tell it one more time, for old times' sake.

If George had my money and gun, I don't think I'd make lots of threats and do my best to cause him to have another heart attack. What I would do would be to write a letter to George's wife and/or son, send it "certified, return receipt requested", and see what happens. If I were from **********, I'd know every morning when I took my first breath that I had a lot more problems than anything that George Stringer could visit on me.

June 13, 2003, 06:15 PM
Edit: Deleted in the interest of peace and harmony.
Johnny Guest

June 13, 2003, 06:31 PM
Maybe, just maybe now, people will stop making excuses for ole George!:barf:

This guy must have built up some kind of goodwill on TFL to get as many passionate apologists as he has.

June 13, 2003, 06:43 PM
Well, lets see if we get the story straight from the horses mouth.

June 14, 2003, 11:02 AM
. . . .

Byron Quick
June 14, 2003, 11:48 AM

This discussion will follow forum rules or it will be shut down...period.

June 14, 2003, 01:23 PM
This guy must have built up some kind of goodwill on TFL to get as many passionate apologists as he has.
What you call an apologia is actually basic consideration. Meaning now is not the time to excoriate publicly a man who's just been near death. I was taught not to kick people when they're down, even if I arguably have some moral right to do so...

June 14, 2003, 08:49 PM
. . .

June 14, 2003, 08:58 PM
Glib and juvenile...

June 14, 2003, 09:17 PM
. . .

June 14, 2003, 11:21 PM
I was referring to comparing the circumstances of an injured dog to those of a convalescing human being...

June 23, 2003, 01:29 PM
I too am experiencing the same difficulties. However, I have done some checking and here is what I have found out, Today:

Local authorities indicate that George Sr. passed away, however, someone is making, very recent, application under his license, with the same address. Local authorities are concerned, many phone calls and letters to Local Police from all over the U.S. and are investigating.

The phone number in the FFL has been disconnected. The phone number at the llisted address is Un-Listed. Not able to contact.

There are two Stringers in Earlington. Both with the same address and phone number. Recording ans. however, no reponse from that number. There is no listing for Stringer Gunsmithing in Earlington KY


June 23, 2003, 06:35 PM
Which George Stringer have we had these problems with, Sr. or Jr.? I got a phone # for a George Stringer in Earlington and a woman answered.She said that wasn't the residence of George from Stringer Gunsmith.She could have been lying also.I sent a certified letter to george w/ money order to pay for the return of my handgun.His wife or daughter? signed for it( Pam Stringer).I will wait with fingers crossed.The ATF agent I spoke with gave me their Louisville # 502-753-3500 to call if I don't get my gun back within a week or so.

George Stringer
June 25, 2003, 09:40 PM
To everyone,
First of all let me say I'm very sorry for all the trouble that George's heart attack has caused everyone. And to let you all know that George had no idea that the number was changed. I did that because George is having a hard time with what has happened to him. The reason for changing the number was to keep George from excepting jobs around here that he could not do. I don't know about you guys and how you would react if one morning you got up to go down stairs and work and the next thing you knew someone told you that you had a massive heart attack . My son and I had no idea what was going on and we did the best that we could. They said George was dead when they got here. And that what little my son did helped him from having more brain damage than he did. George was not trying to mess anyone over. I know that Rick felt as through he got the run around. George would get on the phone and tell customers that he would fix the guns because he really wanted to do right by his customers. But when he tryed to go down stairs and do the work he could not focus on what he was doing. And I know that you all probably think he shouldn't have tryed to work on them, but its hard for a man like George to declare defeat. I don't know what George did to Ricks gun because I do not have a clue as to his business. I am so sorry for what happened to him and I had throught that I had sent the parts back to him. If he will give me some kind of description of what it is I will try to find them. I am so sorry for not being able to send Ricks money back to him. The reason for that is that not only with George not being able to work and him trying to get disability the lady that I took care of for 8 years died in Feb. so all of our income was gone in a very short time. I know this is not you guys problems but I can't help what has happened. I would like to say thanks for the people that knows George and that took up for him on the sight. I would like very much to have to money to send Rick, that would mean that we would have some money. If it wasn't for my sons helping out some I wouldn't know what to do. But they have family and bills and can do only so much. If everyone would let me know just what it is we owe you then I hope sometime when everything gets better that we can repay you. My E-mail address is The reason for me writing to you is that George still has problems accepting that his buisness maybe over. I just want to say again how sorry I am for everything and that I and especilly George wishes that he could work and that none of this never happened.
Mrs. Stringer

June 25, 2003, 10:03 PM
Loving wife. I suspected as much. I think you did the right thing, Mrs. Stringer. I hope George gets better and I'll continue to pray for the Stringer family. I dont know critical your situation is financially, but I'd be happy to help you out in that area if needed, as much as I can. Fell free to PM me or E-mail etc..

George Stringer
June 26, 2003, 09:39 AM
Mr. Jagermeister;
As I have said in my reply on the 25th George was not aware that the phone number had been changed. And he sent in his license even though he cannot work now so that if the time comes and he is able to go back to work he would not have to go threw the process of getting the license. I had forgot about the number when he sent in the form. You can send e-mails to Mrs. Stringer:

June 26, 2003, 10:27 PM
Gun returns have begun. 5 were shipped out yesterday. I don't know whose they were. Interested parties wishing guns returned should contact Mrs. Stringer at the E-Mail link posted above or by letter to work out the details or to see if your gun has been shipped already. Please be kind.:)

June 30, 2003, 08:33 PM
Stringer fund anyone? I'm in for $20 if someone ( a moderator for example)wants to administrate. Crap happens...and sometimes the whole outhouse falls on you.

Edit- see my ad in the accessories section. I'll donate 50% of the proceeds from the sale of my grips to George and family.

June 30, 2003, 11:09 PM
I got my gun back.(Thanks Mrs. Stringer)Unfortunately it's in the same shape as it was when I sent it to George. . . . . .

Oh well, lesson learned.Get well soon George.

June 30, 2003, 11:16 PM
Stringer fund anyone? I'm in for $20

I'm in.:) Lets help these people out.

July 1, 2003, 12:49 AM
He did refinish it but the bake-on finish is all chipping off. . . . .

Oh well, lesson learned.Get well soon George.

*comment which does not meet minimum THR standards removed*

July 1, 2003, 08:33 AM
Just out of curiosity, I went over to the old TFL website and did a search on George Stringer. There are close to 2000 posts made by, or replied to, by George offering free advice. READ SOME! Not many complaints then. There comes a time to belly up and give back. You can choose to live (if hiding is living) in the Cyber world - or you can put a real person's face (warts and all) on that pretend name and personna. I truly believe that George's situation is genuine - and that even he may not realize that it is . If we can't help out someone like George - we are a sorry bunch.

July 1, 2003, 12:26 PM
Bad news. I sure hope his family can get George into a Cognitive Rehabilitation program to help his memory problems.
I've been in one since a stroke last year, and it has done wonders for my memory problems.
If something like that was in the offing for George, I'd sure kick in a bit to fund it!


July 1, 2003, 12:45 PM
Well said Atticus. I sense the same thing.

July 1, 2003, 01:42 PM
BTW -I'll still make a donation if my grips don't sell haha. I don't have any experience with fund raising, but I will volunteer to administrate a fund if no one else is able and willing. I finally set up a Paypal account, so that would be one avenue for setting up a fund, and/or I'm open to suggestions. Coronach knows me (and where I live), so he can come arrest me if I embezzle the funds. If anyone is willing or able to donate $10 or so - my email is listed in my profile. Thanks!

July 10, 2003, 02:40 PM**********/Nightmare

July 10, 2003, 07:08 PM
edited in the interest of peace and harmony

July 10, 2003, 09:19 PM
Please dont shut this one down, George's wife may want to post again.

EDIT: Good point. The remainder deleted in the interest of peace and harmony.

4v50 Gary
July 11, 2003, 12:25 AM
Count me in for $20.

July 11, 2003, 10:24 AM
Edited in the interest of peace and harmony

Desert Dog
July 11, 2003, 12:40 PM
These people obviously didn't know George before this predicament . . . .

EDIT: Partially redacted in the interest of peace and harmony.

Just pray to God you never have a stroke or heart attack.

Mrs. Stringer, we are praying for George here in NM.

Lord knows he has helped me out with priceless advice.


Johnny Guest
July 12, 2003, 06:51 PM

All complaints regarding George Stringer are duly noted.. For those who have taken up for him and asked for tolerance for a sick man, your comments have also been noted, and appreciated.

Flinging ad hominem attacks at one another is NOT APPRECIATED and is truly contrary to forum policy and outside the spirit of The High Road. I have begun editing some of those.

A request has been very reasonably made that this thread be left open as a conduit for Mrs. Stringer to communicate with us. It might well be an additional hardship for her to start a new thread, so I will, at least for the time beiing, leave this thread open.

In the interests of continuity and not wanting to mess with the archives, I'll let most, if not all, of the existing posts remain. BUT KNOW THIS: One more flame, one more kick-ol'-George-while-he's-down post, and posts will begin disappearing from this thread. If there's any additional static about it, I'll remove ALL the posts, leaving only Mrs. Stringer's entries, and those complimentary of George. Is this fair? Probably not, but it will happen.

I hereby admit that the problem has been allowed to rage unchecked for too long. My fault, as much as anyone's. I have been remiss in my moderating duties. I have received communicaitons from concerned members, and rightly so. I will now make this thread one of my priorities.

Please, take this statement seriously. Don't make any parting shots, no AWRIGHT, JOHNNY posts, no nothing.

Best regards to all,
Johnny Guest
Gunsmithing & Repairs Moderator

July 12, 2003, 10:40 PM
I have $25 earmarked in my Paypal account for the Stringers. If anyone would like to contribute to the fund, send me an email indicating that you are depositing to the account. I'm not sure how to go about setting up a seperate account for this, so I'll keep track of the donations seperately. Whatever is collected will be sent to the Stringers from "Your Friends at the High Road/TFL" though Paypal or otherwise on August 1st. If you would prefer to send a check or M.O., I can deposit and transfer those funds to the Paypal account.

My info:
I'll provide a mialing address via E-mail if you're interested in contributing another way. Thanks!

Desert Dog
July 13, 2003, 12:13 AM
Johnny you are absolutely right.

I hope George gets better. I sure do miss his advice.


July 13, 2003, 08:12 AM
Reading Mrs. Stringers letter I saw my Father. He was always a good mechanic, could get anything from a lawnmower to a bulldozer running right.
He had a couple of 'minor' strokes then Alzeheimers started to set in but he still wanted to fix stuff, that was his nature. Problem was his talent and logic were all but gone but he tried anyway. He did realize his shortcomings and quit trying. One day while I was visiting he told me to load up his tool boxes and take them home with me, all the tools were to go to me anyway.

July 13, 2003, 10:49 AM
I have a relative who's in a similar situation. He ran his own painting business, sold insurance, owned real estate(apartments-condo's), antique cars, etc etc. He was also a fitness nut /bodybuilder, and at the age of 60 could probably kick the butts of most 25 year olds. He was my idol as a kid. He had a series of small strokes a few years ago and then a major one that cost him the use of one side of his body. The mental damage was not that apparant to people who didn't know him. He can no longer run a business or even manage his own budget. His wife and sister have to watch him closely. If they don't, he will likely spend his entire disability check on glass figurines being sold on a info-mercial. He will get on the internet and look up people he knew 40 years ago and then start calling them - all day long- and all over the country. It's pretty tough on a family to constantly watch over and control the actions of a once proud, independent, and successful man. It's doubly hard to watch them lose everything they worked for and cherished. In my relative's case, he had been doing weird things long before the major stroke- like dropping insurance coverage on himself and his properties -ignoring other business responsibilities, etc. His wife learned this after the major stroke. Oxygen deprivation and resulting brain dysfunction can occur in small increments over an extended period of time. I suspect that may be the case with George as well.

July 13, 2003, 10:57 AM
Atticus - Check your Paypal acct.

Thank you for taking the time.


(edited for spelling - or the lack of.)

Byron Quick
July 13, 2003, 11:15 AM
Oxygen deprivation and resulting brain dysfunction can occur in small increments over an extended period of time. I suspect that may be the case with George as well.

I suspect that this is the case, myself.

July 13, 2003, 02:42 PM
The fund is under way guys and gals. Thanks to those who have sent funds or made committments. More info to follow. Hopefully, this fund will be announced in the General Discussion area very soon.

July 14, 2003, 08:02 AM
I am about 30 miles from the Stringers...if you need someone close b y for any reason send me a pm. - Mike

Johnny Guest
July 14, 2003, 12:27 PM
- -- and the float in General Discussion at
for more information on the Stringer Assistance Project.

This activity has Oleg's aproval.

Atticus - - - Thanks for your efforts in this regard.

Best regards,

If you enjoyed reading about "George Stringer?" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!