Rifled barrels with buckshot?

PDA

telomerase
October 2, 2006, 11:57 PM
How fast do patterns expand from rifled barrels? Is this a viable HD choice for small houses (i.e. are the patterns less than 20 inches at 20 feet?) for people too cheap to buy two barrels?

Thanks from anybody who's tried this out.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rifled barrels with buckshot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dfariswheel
October 3, 2006, 12:55 AM
Shooting buckshot through a rifled barrel is a non-starter.

First, the bore will lead BADLY, and the leading is extremely difficult to get out.

Second, the shot is "swirled" by the rifling and as it exits the muzzle it forms a donut-shaped pattern with a large hole in the middle.

This donut pattern makes getting hits on target strictly a matter of blind luck.

Last, since the pattern is uncontrolled, you'll get stray pellets that may be a danger to others in the house or even in other houses.

Bottom line is, rifled shotgun barrels are for use with sabot type slugs ONLY.

Dave McCracken
October 3, 2006, 09:35 AM
Bad idea....

Zero_DgZ
October 3, 2006, 09:40 AM
If your shot uses a shot cup (as everything vaguely modern does) you shouldn't have leading problems in the rifling. Now, scrubbing the plastic shot cup material out of your rifling may be a different story, but I don't have any data on that one way or the other.

You will, however, have the old "expanding doughnut" shot pattern, which effectively (as humorous as it sounds) makes the safest place for the target to stand precisely where you're aiming the gun.

Fred Fuller
October 3, 2006, 10:30 AM
Not too cheap to buy two barrels, but my short barrels (18- 21") are all smoothbore. Rifled slugs do just fine out of a smoothbore barrel most of the time, no need to hassle with $expensive$ $abot $lugs IMO. And lightly choked smoothbore short barrels do great with buckshot AND slugs. Versatility is the name of the game for shotguns, specialization is for insects.

lpl/nc (Kent/Brenneke KO slugs, $1.73 per box of 5 in case lots when I last bought them)

foghornl
October 3, 2006, 12:36 PM
All the previous posts have it covered pretty well...rifled barrel plus buckshot just don't play well together.

Did my own test with a 'borrowed' rifled barrel on my Maverick 88, and confirmed the above results.

OK, OK...I'm kinda slow on the uptake sometimes, and I had to prove it to me.

My 18-1/2" smooth cylinder choke barrel prefers the PMC brand of slug, and the Brenneke "KO's" that Messrs. McCracken & Lapin like are a very close second. Most other slugs...well I could do better with a handful of thrown rocks.

dfariswheel
October 3, 2006, 02:37 PM
"If your shot uses a shot cup (as everything vaguely modern does) you shouldn't have leading problems in the rifling"

The rifling in the barrel shreds the plastic cup and the lead shot comes in contact with the barrel.
It leads up.

Zero_DgZ
October 3, 2006, 04:47 PM
Really? Cripes.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rifled barrels with buckshot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!