M44 bayonet removal?

PDA

telomerase
October 3, 2006, 12:04 AM
Is there any reason not to take the bayonet off the M44? There seem to be more around in decent condition than M38s.

If you enjoyed reading about "M44 bayonet removal?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ditchtiger
October 3, 2006, 12:11 AM
it came with a bayonet leave it on. It will just take up shelf space at home. Flip it out 90%, stick it into the ground and you have a safe way to let the gun cool down.

chrisslamar
October 3, 2006, 12:15 AM
Wow never thought of it as a kickstand for letting it cool off. Damn those ruskies were clever. :)

Limeyfellow
October 3, 2006, 04:00 AM
Taking it off will also effect your point of impact since they were designed to be fired with the bayonet extended so if you did remove it you would need adjust the sights quite a bit.

railroader
October 3, 2006, 08:26 AM
I had a m44 which I sold and I now have a m38. The m38 balances better than the m44. It did make a differance on the m44 on where the rifle shot depending on if the bayo was extended or not. Also if you remove the bayo on the m44 then you have the lug hanging off the side of the barrel. There are nice m38's out there. Mark

DeputyVaughn
October 3, 2006, 12:08 PM
On my M44 I removed the assembly pins and removed the entire front sight assembly. this left me with a step down where the barrel was turned down for the assembly. I didn't like that so I had that 3.5 inches cut off and recrowned. Of course without a front sight I am condemned to use the scout scope idea or get creative about adding a new front sight but for now the 16.25 inch barrelled scout rifle is pretty cool to me.

Scott

http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=820

Gord
October 3, 2006, 01:21 PM
M44s were sighted in with the bayonet extended - my two shoot great with 'em up, but won't group worth a crap (I'm talking all over the paper) with the bayos down.

It doesn't add much extra weight to the already hefty carbines, it's inconspicuous when folded down, and yeah, pigsticking random things sometimes is fun. The kickstand idea is also good, but I don't want to scratch up or dull my bayos. :p

Leave it on, get an M38 if you want one... and then get a 91/30, then a Finn, then... ;)

Cosmoline
October 3, 2006, 02:00 PM
It's an easy matter to pop the M-44 Bayonet off. I usually do. In fact I've found that while keeping the bayo folded hurts accuracy (because it's pressing the stock which then presses the barrel), taking it off negates the effect. You can also just leave it extended while shooting. But I find M-44's too front-heavy and removing the pound of steel out there helps. A single screw holds it in and it's easy to pop off.

Taking it off will also effect your point of impact since they were designed to be fired with the bayonet extended so if you did remove it you would need adjust the sights quite a bit.

I've never been able to confirm that myth. FOLDING it often impacts accuracy, but the rifle doesn't care if it's extended or if it's off. The bullet's course doesn't change because it's flying over a bayonet. There may be a very minor impact on the harmonics of the barrel, but if you look almost all M-44 bayonets rattle loosely on the end of the barrel and don't grab it tightly (you can jostle them up and down--try it), a fact which undercuts the harmonics argument.

Skofnung
October 3, 2006, 09:45 PM
Sorry for the hijack, but I've got a related question. Have any of you seen an M44 with the bayonet screw staked?

Gord
October 3, 2006, 10:34 PM
"Staked" being the little dimples, right?

Both of mine are, but they're just that... dimpled. Don't affect removal of the screw at all.

Skofnung
October 3, 2006, 10:38 PM
OK, good.

Whoever staked mine did a very good job.

If you enjoyed reading about "M44 bayonet removal?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!