Rifled Barrel and Shotshells

PDA

Cueball
October 3, 2006, 02:01 AM
I have an 870 Express with both the 26in barrel and the shorter rifled slug barrel. I'm wondering would it do any harm to the rifled barrel if I fired #1 shot thru it? I am considering that combo for a HD option.

Thanks for any help on this.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rifled Barrel and Shotshells" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mnrivrat
October 3, 2006, 02:06 AM
Won't hurt the barrel but the spin will open the pattern up right quick.

CHEHALIS
October 3, 2006, 02:50 AM
I patterned my mossberg with the rifled slug barrel/oo buck combo and got donut shaped patterns

3 gun
October 3, 2006, 03:38 AM
Shooting shot from a slug barrel is far from ideal, but if that was all I had I think from my limited testing I wouldn't feel to bad about it at very short ranges.

I tried a few loads through a Mossberg 500 with a 18 1/2" cyl bore barrel and with a 24" rifled barrel. What I found was surprising. The biggest downside is a MUCH more open pattern, but depending on the distances in your house this may not be a problem, it may even be a plus.

At most "in the home" ranges, a heavy field load and 00 buck loads would still be effective at under 21'. I found full shot wads did more to open a pattern then just a fiber wad like in the S&B 00 buck loads. All 12 pellets of the S&B 00 buck load was on a B12 torso at 21', barely. Remington reduced recoil 00 buck loads had 7 out of 9 on target. The plus side to this would be an easier hit on a bad guy and a reduced chance of over penetration. It's pretty well known that a 00 buck load from a smooth bore at short range acts a lot like a slug. The rifled barrel keeps this from happening at short ranges. I really doubt that a single 00 pellet would carry much power through a wall, even an interior wall, so the extreme spread could be a plus.

Heavy field loads (#4 shot, 2 oz, 3" turkey loads) open enough to evenly cover a B12 target from waist to neck, shoulder to shoulder at 21'. Again from a smooth barrel it patterns much like a slug, a 3" wide hole at 21'. The penetration of #4 shot on a BG many not be ideal but I think the area of impact might make up for it. Again given how quickly the load opens I doubt any of the pellets would be able to go through a wall.

Past 21' the chance of getting hits drop quickly, so you are pretty much limited to 21' or less using a slug barrel. Of course if you have to shoot past 21' use a slug. Given most homes I doubt a shot of more than 21' would come up. I did my shooting with a 12ga, I'd expect a 20ga might reduce the max range you'd have to work with because of the smaller payloads.

In the end if all I had was a rifled barrel, I'd use it, but it is far from the right tool for the job.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rifled Barrel and Shotshells" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!