Just about the DUMBEST thing I ever heard of

PDA

CZ-75
May 14, 2003, 03:17 PM
http://www.foxnewschannel.com/story/0,2933,86878,00.html

Tongue-Splitting Is the Latest Controversial Trend

Wednesday, May 14, 2003

CHICAGO, Illinois ? Ears with two, three, even five piercings are ancient history. Studs in tongues and navels are, for many, no big deal. And who doesn't have a tattoo? These days, the attention-grabbing look is tongue-splitting: cutting the tongue to make it forked.

Some say the practice, still relatively uncommon but edging up in popularity, is nothing short of mutilation. Lawmakers in Illinois are considering regulations that would all but outlaw it.

And earlier this year, several branches of the armed services banned tongue-splitting. Officials at Seymour Johnson Air Force Base in North Carolina say one airman had the tissue in his split tongue reopened and sewn back together in February to avoid being kicked out of the service.

Those who've had their tongues split call it a body modification, and see it as an enhancement.

A few do it for shock value. Others describe the experience as spiritual. And many say they simply like how it looks and feels.

"When I first saw it, I thought tongue-splitting was the most beautiful thing I've seen in my life," says James Keen, a 19-year-old from Scottsville, Kentucky, who got his tongue cut by a local body piercer in December after a surgeon declined to do it.

Keen, who now speaks with a slight lisp, says most people don't know he's had it done unless he shows them.

When he does, he demonstrates how both forks of his tongue can move independently. And it's a plus, he says, when it comes to kissing.

"People are very curious about how it feels," says Keen, whose parents gave him their blessing --- and the $500 it took to do it.

He says the cutting was done in three sessions with a scalpel heated by a blow torch and no anesthetic.

Keen's story is exactly what Illinois state Rep. David Miller, who's also a dentist, had in mind when he authored a bill requiring that tongue-splitting be done by a doctor or dentist, and only for medical reasons.

The bill passed nearly unanimously in the Illinois House and is awaiting a vote in the Senate.

Last summer, state lawmakers in Michigan narrowly defeated a similar bill. "Ultimately, it came down to an individual rights issue," says Tom Kochheiser, a spokesman for the Michigan Dental Association, which supported but did not introduce that state's unsuccessful measure. He says the association has no plans to pursue the issue further.

Miller, a Democrat from Chicago's south suburbs, says he understands the notion of personal freedom. "But I'm not sure the people getting this done understand the risks," he says. "We're choosing safety over cosmetics."

One of the main worries, Miller says, is risk of infection from bacteria in the mouth. He also says a person's speech could be affected by scar tissue and the splitting itself.

Essie Hakim, a 30-year-old New Yorker who had her tongue split by a surgeon in 1998, says she did have to learn how to speak again. But she enjoyed the process, and says she knew what she was getting into.

"I'm an adult making a decision that's not harming anybody. And I'm not harming me," says Hakim, who believes piercing and tongue-splitting are no different than plastic surgery.

Beauty, she says, is simply in the eye of the beholder.

"People get breast implants. People do body building," Hakim says. "People do so many things that are never questioned."

She and others believe the Illinois bill, if it passes, will actually do more harm by making it difficult for the most qualified people -- doctors -- to do the procedure.

Shannon Larratt, a 29-year-old Canadian who had his tongue split by a surgeon, worries that many people will simply go to "underground" parlors to have it done in unsafe conditions.

"It means only the hacks will be left doing it," says Larratt, editor of the Body Modification E-zine, a Web site he publishes from a farm in rural Ontario.

While Larratt estimates that only about 2,000 people in the Western world have split tongues, that's "almost commonplace, as heavy 'mods' go," he says, using the abbreviated term for body modification.

And curiosity about having it done is growing, says Scott Jania, a senior piercer at Progressive Piercing in Chicago.

Jania says he now gets seven to 10 inquiries a week from customers who want to know if he'll split their tongues. But, afraid he'll hurt someone or get in trouble with city regulators, he turns them down flat.

Says Jania: "My career is far too important to risk it."

First thing, is that I think it should be legal when done by medical professionals..

Second, who is dumb enough to actually mutilate themselves like this?

Third, what kind of parent PAYS for their kid to do this?

Fourth, what does this say about the world and America, in general? I mean who is so lacking they'd do something this bizzare just to stand out (along with about 500K other sheeple who also thought it was cool and did the same thing)?

If you enjoyed reading about "Just about the DUMBEST thing I ever heard of" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Justin
May 14, 2003, 03:26 PM
Quite frankly, I don't care if a person wants to implant bolts in the side of their neck in an attempt to look like Frankenstein's monster. If a person wants to do that sort of thing, it's no skin off my nose. Too bad these idiot legislators can't seem to think the same way.

HankB
May 14, 2003, 04:35 PM
Actually, I think the popularity of visible self-mutilation by certain classes of people is a good thing, because it warns normal people about who they're dealing with. (Danger Will Robinson! Freak alert! Freak alert!)

I remember once some years ago I was in an airport and was accosted by a young lady in a flowing white robe asking for a donation for some cause. Her nose, lips, tongue, cheek, and eyebrows were all adorned with hunks of metal pushed through the skin.

I said, "You know, miss, you'd be a really pretty girl if not for all the holes you poked in your face - they're a real turn-off."

Dumbfounded, she just stared as I walked away.

But she left me alone.

CZ-75
May 14, 2003, 05:04 PM
Quite frankly, I don't care if a person wants to implant bolts in the side of their neck in an attempt to look like Frankenstein's monster.

Somebody did that already. :rolleyes:

I'm with Hank - a good visual alert.

Almost as good as getting "Vacancy Inside" tattooed on their foreheads. ;)

Preacherman
May 14, 2003, 05:07 PM
he demonstrates how both forks of his tongue can move independently. And it's a plus, he says, when it comes to kissing. ... "People are very curious about how it feels," says Keen
Anyone who kisses me with a forked tongue is likely to get the bleeping thing bitten off!!!

:cuss: :fire: :banghead: :uhoh: :what: :mad:

Ledbetter
May 14, 2003, 05:39 PM
Honestly, I don't think your warning was necessary around here.

Speaking for myself, anyway. Maybe some of the newer guys . . .:what:

JohnBT
May 14, 2003, 05:51 PM
Gee, it's a shame it's so hard for so many of them to find someone to do the dicing and the slicing. It would make it much easier for most of us to tell when we're talking to an idiot. I guess the poor babies don't have the guts to mutilate themselves.

John

May those that love us, love us.
And them that don't love us, may God turn their hearts.
And if He can't turn their hearts
May He turn their ankles, so we'll know them by their limp.

Sergeant Bob
May 14, 2003, 05:57 PM
Lawmakers in Illinois are considering regulations that would all but outlaw it.

I don't think it should be regulated by the government. If some idiot wants to have his tongue split with a rusty pair of scissors and sewn up with old dirty tennis shoe laces he should be able to do it. Providing the taxpayers don't have to pay his medical bills when he gets gangrene or wants to get the surgery reversed when he's 50 and feeling really stupid about it.

I justh hope he'sth not upseth when thsomeone thsaysth he talksth funny.

This post is not meant to offend anyone with forked tongue or a face full of metal.

What's next? Ear trimming? Spock? Spock, is that you?

Russ
May 14, 2003, 06:24 PM
Why is this a surprise to lawmakers in Illinois? They have been speaking with forked tongues for decades!

rock jock
May 14, 2003, 06:30 PM
whose parents gave him their blessing --- and the $500 it took to do it.
If anything should be illegal here, its these stupid people breeding.

cordex
May 14, 2003, 06:34 PM
I have a hard enough time attracting the "young and nubile" (as El Tejon might say) without cutting my head up and sticking metal bits through it, thank you very much.
May not trip my sear, but I have no problem if someone else wants to Freedom Kiss a blender.

None of the gov'ts business.

CZ-75
May 14, 2003, 06:35 PM
If anything should be illegal here, its these stupid people breeding.

You're too late. Perhaps we can scrape together $100 to get the kid neutered. :evil:

Hal
May 14, 2003, 06:40 PM
Preacherman
Honorary Chaplain said:

Anyone who kisses me with a forked tongue is likely to get the bleeping thing bitten off!!!

LOL!

Sky pilot,,,,you made it worthwhile getting outta bed today! That's one of the wittyest things I've seen in a long time. :D

Shalako
May 14, 2003, 06:46 PM
To think, when I was a youngster I was more worried about putting the right stickers on my binder or getting the cool handlebars for my bike. Maybe a 'new wave' hairdoo.

Now these advanced individuals have moved light years beyond stickers and mohawks. Makes me feel like a real simpleton that I could be so easily amused...

These modern folks sure know where its at though. I guess I just wasted all my time riding around, huntin lizzards and making forts out in the field when I coulda been having my gents pierced or tounge split. Hmmm, I guess I must really be some kinda simpleton....

Oh well. <sigh>

dinosaur
May 14, 2003, 06:53 PM
Let`s hope spaying and neutering are the next big fashion statement.:evil:

bobs1066
May 14, 2003, 07:11 PM
I live in the People's Republic of Lawrence, KS. If you go down on Mass St in the evening, it looks like a traveling production of Peter Pan went out of business and all the pirates & lost boys have been turned loose.

I will own up to something. Last year when I went to the Renn Fest, I got my beard done up in two braids with little bells on the ends. Much to my dismay, the people at work have become jaded and nobody freaked out....:(

Standing Wolf
May 14, 2003, 07:15 PM
Last summer, state lawmakers in Michigan narrowly defeated a similar bill. "Ultimately, it came down to an individual rights issue," says Tom Kochheiser, a spokesman for the Michigan Dental Association...

Good for Michigan! Shame on Illinois! (Do I mean "Illinoise"?)

QuarterBoreGunner
May 14, 2003, 07:20 PM
Oh man I know I’m going to get in trouble for this…

I firmly and absolutely support the right for anyone to stick a hunk of surgical steel through whatever body part they want, go for it, heck tattoo your face while your at it. BUT! Don’t come crying to me when doing so makes you singularly unemployable outside of the local coffeehouse or non-main stream music store. I’ve got tattoos- you just can’t see them unless I want you to see them, same with the piercings (side from the ears). My wife has a very discrete nose ring that you probably wouldn’t see from more than ten feet away. But we also realize the need to maintain a, well, somewhat more conservative image when dealing with corporate America. My wife has a little more leeway- she’s a production manager in the fashion industry, and have you paged through a copy of Vouge lately? Talk about soft core.

Why do otherwise sane and reasonable people do this? Honestly there are a million reasons why, the worst being ‘it looks cool’… yeah, right, when you’re interviewing I’m sure that many hiring managers will applaud your sense of individuality for the whole ‘split tongue’ thing. Here’s your paper hat. Start flippin’ burgers.

As for my wife and me? Well we have our reasons, which would require an extremely long post and a perhaps-unnecessary peek into our lives.

So we’ll just let that one go.

And to keep it on topic- the cheaper less professional piercers use a tool called a piercing gun. See? Gun.

CZ-75
May 14, 2003, 07:51 PM
I firmly and absolutely support the right for anyone to stick a hunk of surgical steel through whatever body part they want, go for it, heck tattoo your face while your at it. BUT! Don?t come crying to me when doing so makes you singularly unemployable outside of the local coffeehouse or non-main stream music store.

Actually, I agree with you.

Neither is all piercing bad. Nor all tattoos. However, I find that these things seldom accentuate a person's appearance and are most often a detriment.

I guess you folks have never seen the "lizard man"? He's tattooed nearly his entire body green (the whole thing someday, I'm sure) with scales, split his tongue, had his teeth filed to points, embedded studs in his scalp to attach "fins," and not even sure what else. The kicker? He's a doctoral student in Philosophy, I believe in the SUNY system. :what:

Wildalaska
May 14, 2003, 08:29 PM
"Hey look at that fat guy with thre belly hanging over his pants and the stupid NRA hat, must be one of them fascist inbred hicks"

"hey look at that freak with the split tongue, must be some type of insane psycho loser'

WildjudgenotlestyetoobejudgedAlaska

QuarterBoreGunner
May 14, 2003, 09:07 PM
Some more thoughts.

I think WildinterestingandrelevantstuffhereAlaska here has a good point, but here's my take;

I'm pretty conservative when it comes to financial and governmental issues, but culturally and societal issues? I’m so far left that the light from the right won’t reach me for a million years. But being a freaky guy that likes freaky things I absolutely appreciate that I can exercise my 1st Amendment rights largely due to the existence of the 2nd. The 2nd represents, to me, the ultimate extension of my right to individual free thought and expression.

I understand that in a totalitarian society, me, my wife and a lot of my friends, gay, straight and whatever would most likely be in gulag somewhere.

I think also that’s why some of Oleg’s posters resonate so strongly with me.

I tell my non-gun friends, ‘you like the 1st Amendment? Support the 2nd.’ Trite, I know, but oh so true.

Preacherman
May 14, 2003, 09:27 PM
QBG - does that make your evil black rifle a politically-correct, socially-acceptable high-speed body-piercing instrument??? :D

QuarterBoreGunner
May 14, 2003, 11:20 PM
Hey! I like that!

Hard to sterilize though, heck its hard enough just keeping it clean. :D

Don Gwinn
May 15, 2003, 12:34 AM
Honestly, I predict it will not be that many years before one of two things happens:

1. A massive backlash against tattoos, piercings, and all other "body modifications" as they become a "conformist" thing to do and are thus deemed no longer cool.

2. Things continue pretty much as they are, in which case you will eventually see people lopping off entire ears, making skull-type Michael Jackson noses, removing fingers, maybe even a hand. Some idiot will have his hands made into paws so as to channel the bear spirit deep inside. None of these things will end the world, but sane people will shake their heads sadly when these poor souls walk past.

Tamara
May 15, 2003, 12:51 AM
You know, this stuff baffles me, as I don't even wear a watch, or conventional normal plain-old jewelry, much less go drilling new holes to hang stuff off. But if somebody wants to do weird things to their person, I fail to see how it's any of the State's business. :scrutiny:

sm
May 15, 2003, 01:06 AM
Tamara, well said.

twoblink
May 15, 2003, 05:17 AM
And what is the difference between someone who self-mutalates, and a politician??:rolleyes:

Disgusting..

general
May 15, 2003, 08:01 AM
Well guysssssssss and galsssssssss,
I jussssssssssst wanted to let you know the newesssssssst sssssself mutilation rage will be voluntary chemical cassssssstration.
Be kinda nice of them to voluntarily remove themselves from the gene pool.
:p (freak alert! freak alert!):p

Kharn
May 15, 2003, 09:57 AM
Don Gwinn:
1. A massive backlash against tattoos, piercings, and all other "body modifications" as they become a "conformist" thing to do and are thus deemed no longer cool.

From my experience, that is what is happening. Kids are becoming more conservative these days and are swinging back towards normality. (Also, good luck getting a job with a Fortune 500 company with odd metal bits stuck in all sorts of places, giant visible tattoos or a split tongue...)

Kharn

Shalako
May 15, 2003, 02:35 PM
I bet the .com companies hired a bunch of these free-spirit types. Then again, here in the .gov biz we've got some 'interesting' folks as well....

Justin
May 16, 2003, 12:49 AM
And what is the difference between someone who self-mutalates, and a politician?? Someone into the whole self-mutilation thing does it to themselves. Politicians do it to you.

Tamara
May 16, 2003, 12:55 AM
LOL!

Matt249SAW
May 16, 2003, 12:59 AM
this is why I raise my family in Indiana.

Shaggy
May 16, 2003, 01:11 AM
I guess I just wasted all my time riding around, huntin lizzards and making forts out in the field when I coulda been having my gents pierced or tounge split.

Man ain't that the truth. That's what I did too.

First off, I think the .gov should not be passing laws against this. I could care less what anybody does to themselves as long as:

1) It does'nt cost me money.

2) I do not get sued for discrimination for not hiring them.

Other than that, knock yourself out.

Tounge splitting = further proof there is no cure for stupidity. This thread is the first I've heard of this BTW.

Freedspeak
May 16, 2003, 11:11 PM
I've had a view on this for many years. You may do what you wish so long as it hurts no one else (ok, I'm a Libertarian) and the gov't should have no say.

Personally I say, " I have had so many holes put in me involentarily, that I am not going to have any put in me volentarily!":D

GitSome45
May 17, 2003, 06:31 AM
I pierced my forehead one time with .451 sized piece of copper coated lead...

Looked "KEWL", but I died.

Oh-well

Howard:D

ravinraven
May 17, 2003, 08:34 AM
Just wanted to mention to RUSS who mentioned the forked tongues on the legislators, etc. There is a difference between a natural forked tongue and these artificial items being produced in the yaps of America. Perhaps the Natural Forked Tongue [NFT] crowd is getting nervous that the Fad Forkers are getting delusions of grandeur.

I do hope that neutering becomes the next "cool" fad. But something that might work as well is to get a fad going that a guy could split his You Know What [YKW] so he could YKW to two YKWs at once.

just a thought from the mad bird

Wildalaska
May 17, 2003, 01:21 PM
If you think forking is wierd, try infibulation and subincision...

WildkinkyAlaska

StLGlocker
May 17, 2003, 11:28 PM
The line about how 'spiritual' it is reminds of of those idiots who drill holes in their skulls (trepanation) for the 'incredible enlightenment' that results :scrutiny:

Darrin
May 18, 2003, 02:38 AM
Perhaps we can scrape together $100 to get the kid neutered I've got $10.

tyme
May 18, 2003, 09:56 AM
I used to work at a company with someone with a split tongue, among other "modifications." You wouldn't notice the tongue unless he pointed it out to you. This person was not unintelligent by any stretch of the imagination. Some of the stuff being hurled around here seems to be just so much reactionary conservative tripe.

Maybe I should get my tongue split. :neener: :evil:

Like all the resident certified libertarians said, it's none of the State's business what people do with their tongues.

CZ-75
May 18, 2003, 01:53 PM
This person was not unintelligent by any stretch of the imagination. Some of the stuff being hurled around here seems to be just so much reactionary conservative tripe.

Yep. Self-mutilation is the sign of good judgment, alright. :rolleyes:
I suppose you think lizard man, the Ph.D. student in philosphy, is a person is going to be or should be taken seriously? Horsemanure!

Stupidity may not be an apt description, but mentally ill sure is.

Like all the resident certified libertarians said, it's none of the State's business what people do with their tongues.

It isn't, but don't expect to get a job outside the local coffee bar/aromatherapy parlor/candle shop/tattoo parlor unless you can also play a guitar.

If you enjoyed reading about "Just about the DUMBEST thing I ever heard of" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!