Shooting Glass?

PDA

Drjones
May 14, 2003, 02:47 PM
Suppose you find yourself trapped in a room and need to get out.

Or trapped in your car.

What is the best way to shoot glass? Dead-on perpendicular? It seems to me that if shot at an angle, there would be a high risk of ricochet.

How about plexiglass? It seems that that is what they use at a lot of schools....(NO, not bullet-resistant.)

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting Glass?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
foghornl
May 14, 2003, 03:03 PM
I would vote for straight-on. Depending upon the shape of bullet and angle of the glass, a "slides along the angle" is certainly possible.

Bravo11
May 14, 2003, 03:05 PM
I think I would first try to knock out the glass with the weapon.
If that doesn't work duck down in the front seat, hold the weapon over the seat and go for the rear window, unless of course passengers present.
I heard that if you live in an area with a lot of canals to carry a spring loaded center punch. They are supposed to work excellent
for shattering window.

Standing Wolf
May 14, 2003, 06:02 PM
I vote for a straight on shot: glass is actually a liquid, not a solid, and does extremely weird things under stress.

I'd duck my head and make sure my eyes were well covered, since glass fragments move away from the point of impact at very high speed.

Rembrandt
May 14, 2003, 06:32 PM
If you're in a vehicle, don't try shooting the windshield....it's laminated glass (2 pieces of glass with plastic in the center) designed to keep passengers inside during a collision....go for the side windows or back glass. Called herculite, crumbles on impact.

Feanaro
May 14, 2003, 08:45 PM
1: Point gun at window.
2: Put arm over face, fire.
3: Curse self as the glass showers all over you because you were too stupid to just break it with the gun. :)

Straight on. No point in being fancy here.

Kharn
May 14, 2003, 09:34 PM
I wouldnt try shooting car glass from the inside without impact goggles (paintball-type, not just shooting glasses) along with plugs and muffs and then only as a last resort. Kicking the glass out, or using the weapon as an impact weapon would be better (unload gun first) for your hearing and eye sight.
If I absolutely had to shoot it, parallel to the normal vector of the surface.

Kharn

SkaerE
May 14, 2003, 10:32 PM
agreed, kicking out the windsheild (and i believe that to be easier to kick out than a side window) would be preferable to shooting out any window from inside the vehicle.

Sleeping Dog
May 15, 2003, 08:15 AM
Shoot out a car window? My vehicle is equipped with a system for retracting the side windows even in the event of a complete loss of electrical power. It's called a "crank". Very unusual these days. :)

Regards.

Smoke
May 15, 2003, 09:29 AM
I wouldnt try shooting car glass from the inside without impact goggles (paintball-type, not just shooting glasses) along with plugs and muffs and then only as a last resort. Kicking the glass out, or using the weapon as an impact weapon would be better (unload gun first) for your hearing and eye sight.

Lets see, your car just left the road and flew into the lake. You try to bust the glass by hitting it but its not working. So you jump into the back seat to dig for your muffs and glasses? Or do you close your eyes and shoot?

Or bad guy is standing in front of your car pointing the gauge at you. Do you ask him to wait until youcan get your safety gear on or do you aim through the windshield and blow him away?

Food for thought.

swingcatt
May 15, 2003, 09:58 AM
haha sleepin' dog! Does your vehicle have the 255* series Air conditioning too?

SC

*2 windows @ 55 mph

Bowlcut
May 15, 2003, 10:34 AM
hey now some of us love and live by our crank winders :D

oh but wouldnt any tatical person keep a seat belt cuter and window shatter near by at all times .... :confused:

general
May 15, 2003, 04:23 PM
It's called a "crank". Very unusual these days.
I think I've seen those...
See a few at a guns shows somtimes.... wait a minute... those were "old cranks" OH YEAH>:D :D :neener:

TechBrute
May 15, 2003, 04:27 PM
I heard that if you live in an area with a lot of canals to carry a spring loaded center punch. Yes, they are under $5 and very effective. I don't live in such an area, but I carry one to punch out autoglass when neccesary. I always carry a Cold Steel folder, and the tip of it is also effective for punching out auto glass, albeit with more of a flair.:D

themic
May 15, 2003, 06:02 PM
if you're under water: you're screwed no matter what you do. but yeah, cranking down the window first is the best idea. you have to equalize the pressure and take alot of water before you can kick the glass or open the door.

glass isn't quite liquid, but it does act funny sometimes.

if you're not under water: shooting the front windshlied will put a pretty hole in it, and turn it white. just as easy to hit it with the palm of your hand. front windshelf wont' cut your hand when you break it. then it's easier to kick it out.

side windows: from the inside, you can break it with the palm of your hand. seriously, guys, it's not hard.

from the outside: hand breaking a side window is nice and all, but it tends to shower the person and everything with glass. best advice is to tear off the radio antenna, and swing it hard so that the side of it about 4" from the top hits the a-post just as the antenna become parallel with the side of the car. the tip will have to bend in about an extra half inch, but really increases the velocity at the last moment, and strikes the lower left corner (if looking at the driver window). it ends up being a very controlled destruction of that window. it's also really fun.

really, i can't think of a time when you'd need a gun to break a car window except if you're underwater and have no hand crank. may still go for alternate methods, anyways, and save the ol eardrums. if you don't panic, it's not too terribly difficult to get out of such a situation.

Rembrandt
May 15, 2003, 06:20 PM
Don't waste your time trying to "kick out the windshield", all you'll do is die tired....since the 1980's windshields have been urethaned in. These are actually part of the structual integrity of the entire car. The only ones you might be able to do that with are vehicles with a rubber gasket...even some of these are installed in urethane.

winwun
May 16, 2003, 07:33 AM
Ah, memories, one of my early cars, a '51 Kaiser. Tubeless tires, laquer paint, aluminum body, and a windshield that would pop out with 35 pounds pressure. Bought it used, 26K miles, $75.00.

Drjones
May 16, 2003, 01:32 PM
Lets see, your car just left the road and flew into the lake. You try to bust the glass by hitting it but its not working. So you jump into the back seat to dig for your muffs and glasses? Or do you close your eyes and shoot?

Thanks, Smoke. That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Likewise, in that situation, ya gonna stop to unload your gun before using it to bust the window? :rolleyes:

However, this is also part of why I'm getting a Strider Tactical GB: I'm confident it could punch through glass with ease. (And less damage to my hearing too! ;) )

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting Glass?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!