First gun

PDA

JMS
May 14, 2003, 02:48 PM
I was wondering if anyone here could help me with the information I need to get my first firearm. I live in ohio and I need to know what training classes to take, what liscences I will need, as well as where is the best types of places to purchase a firearm.

If you enjoyed reading about "First gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
foghornl
May 14, 2003, 03:17 PM
JMS:

Ohio is a big state, so bit more info as to your location would be helpful.

No CCW allowed in Ohio yet, but it will happen soon. CCW reform has passed the Ohio House, bill is now in the Senate, as well as a CCW case before the Ohio Supreme Court. Visit the website

www.OhioCCW.org

for all you need to know about the case and current law.

Have heard that the City of Cleveland has some sort of handgun registration, but since I don't live in Cleveland, don't know any more about that.

"Reeds-Way Consulting" in Cleveland offers some training, and there is a training facility near Cincinnati, but the name escapes me right now.

www.reedsway.com

Maybe this will help you get started.

Justin
May 14, 2003, 03:54 PM
Welcome to THR.

This is the place to get general info regarding laws and where to get a gun.
Once you've decided what you want- rifle, pistol, or shotgun, pop into the more specific forums and light up a thread.

:)

Henry Bowman
May 14, 2003, 04:01 PM
Where in Ohio?

Standing Wolf
May 14, 2003, 05:57 PM
Welcome to one of the tip-top best sites on the entire internet!

I can't recommend a firearm to you on the information you've provided, but can recommend you join two organizations A.S.A.P.:

http://www.nra.org
http://www.gunowners.org

Hal
May 14, 2003, 06:06 PM
Couple of good places to start:

Here:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96603
is the link to the parent board of The High road. Most if not all of the Ohio members from there are here now.

Another link is 3gun's Ohio event calander.
http://calendar.yahoo.com/ohiotfl
(BTW, 3gun deserves a "well done" and thanks for keeping his calander going and updated.)

LiquidTension
May 14, 2003, 07:34 PM
Since I know nothing about your likes/dislikes, local laws, intended use, or anything else...I recommend you get a 1911 :D

4v50 Gary
May 14, 2003, 07:45 PM
Better to attend a THR shoot. Bring some bullets (45, 38, 9mm, 40 S&W, 22 LR. Buy a box of the first four and a brick of the latter). Try other folks guns and find out what you like by handling it yourself. Jes a suggesshun.

Now, if you need a gun for class, see if you can borrow one from a friend or relative.

Edward429451
May 14, 2003, 08:12 PM
For a thee very first gun, its hard to go wrong with a 22 LR. Pistol, rifle, whatever you like. Ammo is cheap, guns can be cheap, recoil is almost nonexistant, and the practice of shooting is the same with respect to sight picture, stance, trigger control, etc..

A decent 22 will give you something to do while you're taking your time shooting other peoples guns and doing research into what bigger guns you like or is appropriate for your intended mission with it. Dont buy a gun for the coolness factor, think...What am I going to use this gun for? Then decide if it fills that need. You'll never outgrow a 22.

Little boys never grow up. There 22's just start costing more.:D

Learn the four rules of gun safety.

Feanaro
May 14, 2003, 08:18 PM
A .22 might be good to practice with. If you are looking for an all purpose weapon a shotgun does a bit of everything. Put a short barrel on it and it's a home defense rifle. Stick a long barrel with full choke on there and you can hunt deer. So on and so forth.

cool45auto
May 14, 2003, 09:06 PM
Welcome to THR!:D

JMS
May 15, 2003, 10:59 AM
I live in the Youngstown, Ohio area.

My younger brother, who is an officer, was recently showing off his new glock to me. So I started reasearching on both sides of the gun control coin. And to be honest I couldn't find one substantial defense for having gun control. So I decided as a responsible adult I should at least learn how to use a firearm as a skill that may be needed some time in life.

On a side note I live DIRECTLY across the street from an outdoor firing range. I've just never taken advantage of it. Also strange how I don't even jump anymore at the sound of gunfire anymore.

blades67
May 15, 2003, 03:14 PM
I would have to say that "the best types of places to purchase a firearm" would be gunstores.:neener:

cratz2
May 15, 2003, 03:38 PM
If you live that close to a shooting range and you think you'd like to spend a fair bit of time over there, I might suggest a 22 LR rifle or handgun. Infinite amounts of practice ammo for the cost on one box of self defense 45 or 40 ammo and the mild recoil will help you avoid developing bad habits such as flinching. Unless you were wanting something pretty much purely for defense. Then there are many, many other options.

Were you thinking about more of a rifle or a handgun?

Chipperman
May 15, 2003, 05:38 PM
4v50 Gary-- "Bring some bullets (45, 38, 9mm, 40 S&W, 22 LR. Buy a box of the first four and a brick of the latter)."

Don't you think he would be better off bringing Cartridges, not just Bullets? :neener:

Sorry Gary, I had to bust you on that one.

Waitone
May 15, 2003, 05:50 PM
Living across the street from a range is only one step below owning you own range. Get happy!

My advice is to start with basic training. The range will have a list of NRA instructors and may even sponsor classes. Consider basic safety classes followed by pistol or rifle or shotgun or whatever floats your boat. My point is spend bucks on training up front and you'll never regret it. Work with you instructor on choosing your first firearm. That said, it is hard to beat a .22LR pistol or rifle. They are cheap and you can shoot all day for the price of a couple of sixpacks.

My only other advice is to not go cheap on eye protection and hearing protection. Get the best ballistic grade glasses you can afford. Hearing protection, resolve now to double up. 30 NRR plugs and 30NRR muffs. You will never regret it.

Good luck and shoot 'til you grin.

TechBrute
May 15, 2003, 06:02 PM
Start with a .50BMG, work down.:D

Just kidding. A .357 revolver with .38 rounds is a good first/only gun. I highly recommend starting with a .22LR, but don't stop there.

Dave R
May 15, 2003, 11:57 PM
The more firearms you try before you buy, the more likely you are to be happy with your first purchase. Some ranges rent firearms. Call around and find some place to rent.

Find some friends who shoot and ask 'em to take you out. Very few shooters can resist the opportunity to help a new shooter. BUt be careful, long-time shooters can be very opinionated. Take any opinions with a grain of salt.

That said, a .22 is always a wise choice for a first firearm. But it is not a good choice as a defensive firearm. A .38 revolver, or a .357mag revolver shooting .38 loads, is a traditional choice for a first defensive handgun. But there are many options.

Pheonix
May 16, 2003, 09:11 AM
Since you were looking at Glocks, you could buy a 10mm (G20 or G29). With one of these you could swap out barrels (takes about 10 seconds) to shoot .40 and .357. The 9mm is the cheepest centerfire round you could get. A 22 rifle should probably be you first choice (I have never had one). A 12 Guage pump can do just about everything (Mossberg is a good buy) just buy one that comes with a rifled barrel and a smooth barrel. I am assuming you are over 21, otherwise you cannot buy a handgun.

Ladybug
May 16, 2003, 12:56 PM
I agree with everyone else - rent, borrow, and shoot as many different guns as you can before buying one. My first gun was an old Beretta .380, and I loved it. The only problem is, it was the only handgun I ever really shot with, and I shot it a LOT, so now I have problems with anything other than a Beretta because that's what I got used to. Also shooting a lot of different guns will let you know what you like/dislike in a gun. Get your brother to go with you to show you basic gun handling, and like Waitone said, shoot till you grin.

And welcome to THR! :)

sm
May 16, 2003, 03:12 PM
Welcome to THR!

Agree , one should try before they buy. It is hard to beat a .38 spl revolver.

But then again, I think LiquidTension makes a point...1911, I think its written in the Old Testament somewhere...maybe the Constitution...its written somewhere I'm sure...:D

BerettaNut92
May 16, 2003, 03:20 PM
I'm a big proponent of a centerfire service pistol with a .22 conversion kit like the 1911, Beretta, CZ, Glock etc.

Do you want long guns or handguns? Hobby, defense, both? Birds, deer?

JMS
May 17, 2003, 09:02 AM
I was thinking a handgun, though I'm not opposed to a long gun. Probably for home defense, and target shooting. I'm not planning on doing any hunting.

Mastrogiacomo
May 17, 2003, 09:11 AM
The laws might be different in your state, but for me:

1. Went to the local police station. Spoke to a cop about what I wanted and he pointed me to the gun permit applications and told me where to go for the Firearm safety program.

2. Took the Firearm safety course

3. Called for an appointment at the Police, and brought the completed application and a copy of the certificate with two forms of ID. Had my fingersprinted and photo taken. Obviously they were doing a background check...

4. Lost the bid for the Class A (ten capacity or more, right to conceal) and had to settle for the Class B (nine or under for ammo, can't carry)

5. Returned to pay the $35 and get my finger prints again.

6. Got it in the mail two weeks later give or take.

Still not happy...wish I could have received the Class A but then this is why I'm planning on moving once I get working. Overall, the process didn't take very long.

Mastrogiacomo
May 17, 2003, 09:17 AM
Bought a @&W 442 .38 and a Beretta Compact M a couple of months after that -- recoil on the .38 was vicious where the compact was a blast. Eventually sold the .38 and bought another Compact M. Ammo is cheap, gun has low recoil and just a lot of fun to use. Great for home defense and a fantastic carry gun...assuming I could. Try a couple at the gun range if you can rent, or borrow them from any friends that shoot with you if possible. Otherwsie, you really won't go wrong with a 9mm. It's a great caliber to have fun with and perfect for personal protection which should satisify what you're looking for in a gun.

The-Distinctive-Edge
May 17, 2003, 09:19 AM
Hi,

Again, I will say that I am very new to firearms. Knives are our business. What do you me by

"4. Lost the bid for the Class A (ten capacity or more, right to conceal) and had to settle for the Class B (nine or under for ammo, can't carry)"

sorry for newbie question. I have want to do this process so I can go to a range. Thanks! Paul

Mastrogiacomo
May 17, 2003, 09:20 AM
Sorry for all the posts -- just woke up, the first gun was the S&W 442 -- but you figured that out, right? Good luck with your first gun purchase. Last message!!:o :D

Waitone
May 17, 2003, 10:05 AM
Lots of newbies on this thread.

A word of caution. Gun laws vary by state. Each state has its own peculiarities. Policies, procedures, prices, practices, etc all vary. Have made that point, there are two distinct governmental attitudes toward the right to keep and bear arms.

One governmental attitude is typical with most of the states in the United States. Gov't may not like the idea of peasants accessing firearms, but they will do as the law says. These states typically adopt a regulatory attitude toward peasants. They do things like require permits to purchase but they don't legally hassle you in your attempts to gain a purchase permit.

The other governmental attitude is a bit more predatory. These state's gov't not only don't think peasants ought to have access to firearms they go out of their was to hinder, harass, and demonize. Thankfully these states are much fewer in number. If someone said, "OK, Bub, who ya talkin' about?" I'd say California, Illinois, Mass, New York, New Jersey, Maryland. These states will allow firearem ownership by peasants but they make life very difficult.

The best single source for local information is www.packing.org. But remember, each state has its own laws which are typically available online.

The-Distinctive-Edge
May 17, 2003, 10:54 AM
Thanks! will look into this! paul

If you enjoyed reading about "First gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!