Regretted purchases?

PDA

PlayboyPenguin
October 3, 2006, 08:42 PM
Do you have a gun in your current collection that just irks you every time you see it? You ask yourself "why the hell did I buy that thing?" If so, what is it and why do you regret it?

For me it is my .32acp Beretta Tomcat.

The reason I regret it is because I have found other weapons to fill the same void that it was supposed to that are much better at it. The Seecamp I have is much smaller and easier to conceal (not to mention it's solid stainless construction) and the .32 H&R mag Taurus 731 packs a much bigger wallop than the Beretta. The Beretta is kind of bulky to to a pocket pistol. The only things I do like about it are the DA/SA trigger and the flip up barrel to make it easy to load an extra round in the chamber without then having to de-cock the firearm.

If you enjoyed reading about "Regretted purchases?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
AirForceShooter
October 3, 2006, 08:44 PM
Taurus PT-945.
Wasn't the gun it was me. I just couldn't shoot it.

AFS

DontBurnMyFlag
October 3, 2006, 08:44 PM
I bought a Mossberg Maverick 88 for 100 bucks used. I took the rifle stock off to replace with a pistol grip and it wouldnt fit. So I said no big deal, Ill just put the rifle stock back on. Damn thing is stripped on the inside so nothing will screw on properly. Then the slide racks whether or not there is a round in the chamber or if it has previously been racked. The thing is flimsy. but ya. It irks me.

absolute0
October 3, 2006, 08:56 PM
I don't tend to buy stuff on whims, and my tastes are pretty much of the meat and potatos variety i.e. wheel guns, 1911's and Hi Powers so I don't find myself lusting after Guns & Ammo's latest gun of the month. The couple guns I've had those kind of feelings about got traded off without remorse.

No Regrets...:)

Declaration Day
October 3, 2006, 09:02 PM
I bought a Walther G22 carbine on impulse when they first came out. It never worked properly, was a pain to clean, and wasn't very fun to shoot. I ended up selling it at a big loss.

Eyesac
October 3, 2006, 09:04 PM
Oh man, I have a S&W 22A that I kick my self for buying... Should have bought a Ruger, but I liked the rails... Kicking myself... Anyone want to buy one.

SigfanUSAF
October 3, 2006, 09:05 PM
I have far more regrets NOT buying firearms than actually buying them. The only gun I regret buying is an 870 I bought back from a good friend. I sold it to him ANIB 2 or 3 years ago, and said if he ever wanted to sell it back to me I'd give him what he paid me. Stupid mistake. He came over with this poor, abused 70% finish 870 with dings all over the stock and forend:( , and a barrel that had been dented in two spots:mad: Like finding a lost puppy, I guess. Being a good friend, I honored my commitment and handed him $220 for it. :cuss:

P97
October 3, 2006, 09:08 PM
I bought a British 303 that you couldn't hit the side of a barn with. Bought if for Deer season and shot at a Buck broadside about 25 yards and missed. I didn't keep long after Deer season.

Hazzard
October 3, 2006, 09:10 PM
I really don't have any that I regret buying, but the list of the ones I regret selling or trading is just too long to list..:(

Glock22
October 3, 2006, 10:08 PM
all of my guns are great, although i do regret my ipod because its making me angry right now but thats a different story.

eastwood44mag
October 3, 2006, 10:12 PM
My only regret is buying a case of crappy ammo last week:banghead:

MechAg94
October 3, 2006, 11:01 PM
I bought a WASR 2. The mag wobbles so much it takes the follow round out of line with the bolt. I have never had a chance to try to work on it.

I have a couple of cheap .380 auto pistols. A Firestorm and Bersa Thunder. Both are reliable enough, but I have other pistols now that are better and the same size.

A Springfield UltraCompact. Neat gun and reliable enough. It is just way to dang heavy to consider carrying. I might as well have a full size 1911.

Also, I guess I tried to scope a Mosin M44 once. I wish I had saved my money and got a couple more of them instead.

tenbase
October 3, 2006, 11:28 PM
Around 1995, I bought an A-O 1911A1.

I know the new ones are better.

Standing Wolf
October 3, 2006, 11:32 PM
My Ruger Mark II. For what I ended up pouring into that sorry excuse for a gun, I could have bought a brand new Pardini. It's ended up being an okay practice match pistol, and I can reassemble the !@#$%^&! thing in reasonably good order now, but I'll never buy anything from that !@#$%^&! company again.

10-Ring
October 3, 2006, 11:34 PM
Currently....NO :D I've thinned out the herd to where I've got what I like & like what I got :cool:

Wesker
October 3, 2006, 11:35 PM
I have both a regrettable purchase AND a trade.

I regret having bought this confounded Springfield Loaded model. The POS NEVER locks open on the last round, and will usually double feed. It could be the mags, but those are the WISON COMBAT TACTICAL ELITE POLICE LIMITED EDITION MODEL, so it can't be those.

I do regret selling off my XD-9. Almost 18 rounds of 9mm and it was a dream to shoot. I used it to qualify for my CCW here in Florida. In fact, I did so well with it the others in the class were asking if I could do a quick switch-er-oo when the instructor wasn't looking :D

Old Dog
October 3, 2006, 11:38 PM
Kel-Tec P-40 ... bad sproingy trigger, couldn't get through two consecutive mags without malfunctions, un-godly recoil ... couldn't believe it was so horrible; thought the P-11 might be okay so picked up another KT ... the P-11 didn't make it through the first range session without breaking ... Ever tried to sell or trade a used Kel-Tec?

Actually, I don't usually regret buying guns ... but I sure have regretted almost every single one I've sold or traded away over the years.

I love my Tomcat, BTW...

the 22 junkie
October 3, 2006, 11:48 PM
AR-7 could've gone towards a new Mk. III. Jam-o-matic. :(

lowracer
October 4, 2006, 12:13 AM
.32ACP, French military/police sidearm, 1950's vintage. Bought it from my sister-in-law who needed some quick cash.

What was I thinking? Any collectors out there want this gem? Let's make a deal, then we'll have my FFL talk to your FFL...

Pork Fat
October 4, 2006, 12:17 AM
$400 7.62 NATO battle rifle! Shoots patterns! Shoots them well below point of aim unless rear sight is jacked way up! At least it's heavy. And with that muzzle brake- LOUD!

browningguy
October 4, 2006, 12:58 AM
CZ 40B, just could not shoot it well, sold it and got another BHP. Nothing wrong with the gun I just could not get comfortable with the grip.

Axman
October 4, 2006, 01:45 AM
Since I only have 5 firearms as of now, I can say I don't regret buying any. I do regret selling my granddad's old IJ single shot 12 guage. The darned thing wouldn't break open, the release linkage was broken. Now I think back and tell myself, "I could fix that!"

Ala Dan
October 4, 2006, 01:55 AM
I guess I'm in a minority here, cuz I very carefully chose each and every
weapon based on its merit's; or in other words, the gun's intended purpose.
I will have to say that in my current inventory of approximately 30 guns, I
don't have a bad one; or one that I dislike~!:cool: :D

Rexrider
October 4, 2006, 01:59 AM
Jennings .22

Need I say more? :o

To this day I have no idea why I bought it. My guess is that it was so cheap there was no reason not to buy it ($50 new).

Can't sell it or give it away for fear of being sued. To make matters worse, I live in a gun friendly state so there are no gun buy-back programs to speak of.

All that is left is to will it to my best friend....just to **** him off (unless of course he goes first..... just to **** me off)

To add insult to injury....the darn thing still works. :scrutiny:

Third_Rail
October 4, 2006, 02:17 AM
My K-31. Can't find any ammo locally. :banghead:

Fn-P9
October 4, 2006, 02:23 AM
I regret all my firearm purchases, for the sole reason of it leaves me with little play money, for the rest of the week, after my "range day" :evil:

Old Fud
October 4, 2006, 02:52 AM
I bought a Walther P22 on an impulse. It was such a "cute" little piece, fit my hand nicely and looked like a fun plinker. I curse that miserable inaccurate malfunctioning Stove-piping ammo-picky FTF queen every time I open my safe.

And then I turned around and bought a Walther G22 rifle on an impulse because it was such a cute little piece that looked like it would really be a fun plinker. Got it home and read forums describing it's little "quirks" -- including the difficulty of getting it apart to be cleaned coupled with the absolute necessity of exquisite care or it would also be an FTF Queen -- and still haven't been able to force myself to attempt disassembly and spring-chasing. So it's an un-fired safe clogger-upper.

First time is "shame on them." But the second time --- well -- I keep looking for somebody to blame. Any volunteers?

Fud

Zeke Menuar
October 4, 2006, 04:40 AM
Ruger P95. Defective POS. Poor customer service from Ruger. Left a very bad taste in my mouth. Sold the gun. Swore off Rugers forever. Life is good.

S&W 686-4. Never could get into it. Don't know why? Traded it for a CZ-83. Much happier now. The CZ is one of my favorite guns.

ZM

usp9
October 4, 2006, 08:56 AM
I bought a AR7 in the '70s. Much "cool" factor, but I could not go through a mag without a jam. POJ.

Bersa Thunder .380. I know people like them, but I couldn't take the foibles the gun possessed. When compared to my other .380s it came up lacking.

Targa GT380 bought on a whim, paid too much. Nothing against the gun...just paid too much.

farscott
October 4, 2006, 09:09 AM
My one regretted purchase was a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Comanche. It functioned just find as long as I did not try to slingshot it from slide lock. Baer told me the gun functioned fine, but my smith showed me the issue and how to fix it. The fix is pretty easy, but it would require refinishing the hard chrome. So I sold it for just about what I had in it.

Legionnaire
October 4, 2006, 09:50 AM
Hmmm. Ask me again in a couple of weeks! :D

Only thing in the safe right now that I regret is a Stoeger Uplander Supreme side-by-side 12/20 combo that came with a set of 12 gauge barrels and set of 20 gauge barrels. It is actually a fine shooter, and I really like the straight, English style stock. But since the 12 gauge barrels work so well, I've never tried the 20 gauge. Glad I bought the gun; sorry I spent the extra money on the combo version. Shoulda just stuck with the 12 gauge.

There have been a couple of others over the years, all sold or traded off for something I liked better. Also been a couple that I got rid of and now regret parting with. Pretty much culled the herd at this point, though.

repsychler
October 4, 2006, 09:53 AM
Hi-Point carbine...What a hunk of junk.

22-rimfire
October 4, 2006, 09:56 AM
Regretted purchases? At the time, I regretted buying a 6" Smith Model 29-2 and 4" Smith Model 25-? (around 1990) as I had no interest in either caliber. Bought them because a friend needed the money. Didn't shoot either. Sold both of them within about 3-months. Now, as I see the interest in both of these guns, I regret selling them off. But you can't have one of everything, or at least I can't. At the time, I had no regrets.

Truly regretted purchases are the ones that I bought as collector pieces that I didn't take the time to really look over carefully. One was a reblue, well done, but reblue all the same. They tend to leave a sour taste in my mouth, but life goes on. Usually sold them first chance I got. The problem here is knowledge. I can't or won't mis-represent a gun and have someone else go through the same feelings. To be truthful about "regrets", I have few. Or...maybe not buying more.... more!

thegriz
October 4, 2006, 10:49 AM
I love my 8mm mauser. I equiped it with a Leupold scope and it's just plain amazing. So I decided to find something in semi-auto that also shot 8mm and had detachable magazines or could be fed with stripper clips. The Hakim does both.

I hate this gun. The design is just plain screwy. It's finicky about the ammo it eats - pretty much have to use old war surplus or self-load. I did a lot of research and thought I would love this gun. I found a beautiful well cared for hakim. I growl every time I see it. Now it's just a beautiful piece of history that sits in my gun safe.:banghead:

I've never sold or traded a firearm. I can't put my finger on the reason but it just bothers me to let go of any firearm, whether I like it or not.

Gadsden
October 4, 2006, 01:13 PM
Century .308 CETME. Had to rework every magazine I have on the bench grinder. Had to work on the welds in the mag well with a Dremel. I still can't get the front sight to adjust, even after drilling out the setscrew. Hits dead center at 25 yards, but puts em in the dirt at 50. I tried using the long range apertures on the rear sight, still can't get the rounds out of the dirt. Tried it with a red dot scope. Rounds in the dirt. I think maybe the barrel is bent or just not mounted properly. Did I mention that it jams a lot? It does. Kicks like a mule too. I'm sorry that I bought it, but hate to give up on it. Oh, the agony!

Manedwolf
October 4, 2006, 01:18 PM
My K-31. Can't find any ammo locally.

I've had no problems finding ammo for that. GP-11, Norma or Wolf Gold. There's always the web, too...lots of places to order it from. Should be $23-$26 for 60 rounds of GP-11.

Radjxf
October 4, 2006, 01:22 PM
Kahr P40. Glock 22--regretful purchases
Any S&W revolver--regretful sales

SRMohawk
October 4, 2006, 01:26 PM
An EDM Arms Windrunner Model SS-99 chambered for the .408 Cheyenne Tactical cartridge. Of course, I don't have the rifle anymore because it was just too expensive to operate and maintain. But even more importantly, its capabilities were simply far beyond those of mere mortal men. Placed in a machine rest, it once hit a rusted out old P/U truck 1.25 miles away in the passenger side door 5 times in a row. But the same huge target was merely a tiny spec in the distance through a 32 power Nightforce NXS. Consequently, I could never even get close to doing this on my own! :(

shield20
October 4, 2006, 01:27 PM
Plenty i have regretted buying, but NONE that I have now. I will dump a gun in a heart beat, at a loss, instead of staring at it day after day. ANY unreliable handgun fits that, as I will NOT keep one I can't count in.

Latest was a CZ Rami that I traded in for a P99c, which I now know I should have gotten in the 1st place - would have saved a couple bills for sure.

SRMohawk
October 4, 2006, 01:30 PM
AMEN, Shield 20!

justatexasboy
October 4, 2006, 01:35 PM
Second gun I ever purchased was an awesome looking stainless Colt Anaconda 44 mag with a snub nosed barrel. It was the meanest looking gun I had ever seen.

Unfortuanley I could not hit anything past 4 feet with it. But at that distance it could burn the target.:neener:

SIRVEYR666
October 4, 2006, 01:41 PM
Jennings .25 Auto: Jam-O-matic P.O.S.:cuss:

dtalley
October 4, 2006, 01:55 PM
.32acp Berretta Tomcat. Bought it off of a friend that needed some money and he priced it right. I couldn't hit the side of a barn with it from inside the barn. Offered to sale it back to him when he got back on his feet and he declined.

Manedwolf
October 4, 2006, 02:02 PM
.32acp Berretta Tomcat. Bought it off of a friend that needed some money and he priced it right. I couldn't hit the side of a barn with it from inside the barn. Offered to sale it back to him when he got back on his feet and he declined.

I really don't know what they did wrong with that. The earlier 950 is like pointing your finger at something...and the holes go where you point.

JLStorm
October 4, 2006, 02:09 PM
I should regrett buying a hand cannon that I rarely use (taurus raging bull 454 casull). It's the only gun I own that doesnt get carried. I justified it by telling myself I plan to go to alaska and I want a nice powerful handgun, but I know that the taurus, although fun to shoot, is not something I would trust with my life...and yet I refuse to trade the damn thing in or sell it... :rolleyes:

pharmer
October 4, 2006, 03:55 PM
I bought an R-9 (Hipower lookalike) for $199 at a gunshow. Shot it once. 30# trigger. Insides were different than P35. Started to wear immediately. POS. Traded it for a SW 2" model 10-5. Much better. Joe

dillonuser
October 4, 2006, 07:44 PM
Browning HiPower Practical. Front sight blade snapped off while shooting. They had me send it to a place in Missouri. They damaged it. It went back again because of the scratches they put in the slide and the sight drifting constantly. They touched up their scratches with something like shoe polish. Still wasn't fixed. Sent to Browning Headquarters 2 times. On the second time they bought it back.

CNYCacher
October 4, 2006, 08:55 PM
BRAND NEW Ithaca Model 37 turkey barrel. Got into a bidding war on ebay and spent $270 on it. It is the same one that comes on the new Ithaca Turkey Slayer. Porting, screw-in extended turkey choke, 26inches, parkerized, brand new never fired. fiber optic sights, fits any Model 37 made after the 850,000 serial number switch (which i think happened in the 60's). I have never fired it because I don't want it to lose the newness. I would rather sell it back to someone and buy a used complete turkey slayer for a hundred bucks more. Anybody here wants it, I'll sell for $200., PM me

Grizzley Adams
October 4, 2006, 10:24 PM
i only own 4 guns and i use them all and they serve me well.i have a marlin 1895 cowboy in 45/70,a mossberg maverick in 12 gauge,a bersa semi auto in .380 acp,and a rossi .357 magnum revolver.none of these fine firearms have let me down so in my book thats what you look for in your guns.something good and reliable that will do what you need it to.

Gewehr98
October 4, 2006, 10:45 PM
Operative words being "used to". Made an alright single-shot rimfire rifle, all things considered... :scrutiny:

Autolycus
October 4, 2006, 10:48 PM
I regret purchasing a Beretta 92FS Brigadier in INOX. I really should have rented one before I purchased it. It was my second gun. That gun was just unreliable for me. I have a friend who loves his. I think it was me and not the gun to be honest.

To be honest I regret selling more. So many guns I wish I still had.

bender
October 4, 2006, 10:56 PM
don't have anymore, got rid of it at a gunshow a while back. It was an El Cheapo .25 auto, don't remember the brand. Was $50 or $60. The recoiling slide would tear up the web of your hand if you weren't careful with your hold.

Guncrazy45
October 4, 2006, 11:05 PM
...because I no longer have it. But the Taurus PT-111 is the first gun I ever regretted buying.

Not 100 rounds into it, the extractor went flying off the gun, never to be seen again. I sent it to Taurus, and they repaired it. The next time I went to the range with it, I didn't even get to finish a box of 50 rounds, when the ejector broke. While Taurus repaired that, too, I never fired it again, and sold it for a big loss.

For what it's worth, I hear that Taurus has fixed the problems with the PT-111 since then, calling the new version the PT-111 Pro. I really did like the way that gun felt in my hand, and that it was so concealable. But every time I'm tempted to give it another chance, I'm reminded of what happened with the first one.

lee n. field
October 4, 2006, 11:16 PM
Jennings .22

Need I say more?

Ditto the Jennings .22

I used to have a Charter Arms AR-7.

Ditto the AR-7. Jam jam jam. Traded that one off for a 720K floppy drive (back when those were worth maybe $85. I wouldn't trade any gun for any computer at this time. Any gun not in pieces will hold it's value better than computer hardware.).

bogie
October 5, 2006, 12:39 AM
Regretted purchases?

The gold chain set that I gave to Cindy Brown my sophomore year in college. I coulda bought a nice gun with that...

Captain Bligh
October 8, 2006, 01:02 AM
Sig p2232, a very well made, nice looking gun that gives me slide bite and has a trigger I absolutely hate.

Huddog
October 8, 2006, 02:36 AM
Another Charter AR-7 owner here. My wife bought it for me for christmas one year. Never had a jam problem but it shoots so far to the right I can't correct the sights enough to get it on the paper.

shooterwolf
October 8, 2006, 12:00 PM
:cuss: Bad purchases. My second marriage license! The divorce costs would have filled a gun safe. :fire:

Squawker
October 8, 2006, 10:42 PM
I did until recently. I was taking my CCW class last December. I already had a Beretta 92FS, a Glock 19, and a Glock 26. I was thinking that I would need a better "pocket gun" for the hot Las Vegas Summers. I had originally planned to use the 26 for that purpose, but I began to feel that it was too thick. So, after reading the glowing reviews on a few forums, I bought a Kel-tec P11. It did fit well in the pocket. But at the range, I began to have trouble. First, the trigger pull was way to much. Long and heavy. Then, after only a few rounds, it began to "stove pipe", and have other feeding problems. I had a gunsmith do a "fluff and buff", which did help. But that long hard trigger pull was just too much. I had to wear band aids on my right and left index fingers, in order to qualify with the gun for my CCW, as the trigger would quickly rub blisters on my fingers.I was not a fun gun too shoot, which meant that I would not keep up my skills. And I just didn't feel comfortable trusting my life to the gun. I found that by using a Nemesis pocket holster,the G26 actually worked out well. So, now while working, or when I can't wear a cover garment, the G26 is in my right front pocket. Please, no flames from Kel-tec lovers. I know that there are very many people that feel that they are well served by their P11. As I said, I bought the gun because of the glowing reviews. It just isn't the gun for me. I sold the gun back to the gun shop, at a significant loss. It was sitting in the safe, unused. I had planned to keep it just as a trade weapon should the excrement impact the oscillating air flow director. I had lost my job (the clinic that I worked in went out of business, owing me $7 grand, and I needed some quick cash.

If you enjoyed reading about "Regretted purchases?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!