Rem 870, Rifled Choke Range Trip

PDA

frankt
October 3, 2006, 08:50 PM
Today I took my Remington 870 to the outdoor range to sight it in with a scope and rifled choke tube. It has a cantilever scope mount and I used a Bushnell 1.5 X 4 EER scope.

I used 2 3/4, 1 OZ HP Federal Powershock Rifled Slug that I had found this gun shot best with when I sighted it last year with a Red Dot sight.

Surprisingly the new scope was on paper at fifty yards right off the bat. A few small adjustments and I was able to have the big holes touching. I shot off a bench but supported the shotgun with my arms instead of using a rest.

At 100 yards I was able to shoot 3" groups after a little scope adjustments. I sighted it dead on at 100 which puts the slugs about 2" high at fifty which should work well for me in the deer woods. The scope has a "Circle Dot" and was probably not the best choice for the 100 yard target but where I hunt I never get a shot that far so I was happy.

The recoil was a push but was not a slam to the shoulder and I ended up shooting 20 rounds just having fun.

A couple of other shooters were amazed at the giant holes those slugs put in the target.
I wish I had brought a different Mod or IC choke with me to see if they would have shot any different than the rifled tube.

All in all it was a nice morning to be shooting.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rem 870, Rifled Choke Range Trip" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
If you enjoyed reading about "Rem 870, Rifled Choke Range Trip" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!