How the heck do you guys do it?

PDA

LkWinnipesaukee
October 3, 2006, 10:15 PM
You guys who CCW, how the heck do you do it? I hear about people carrying flashlishts, pepper spray, cell phone, gun, spare mags, knife(knives) on them daily.

Daily, I have trouble carrying a flashlight, OC, cell phone, and sometimes a small shethed knife (outside of school) on my belt...And even then everything 'prints'

What do you guys carry, and how do you guys do it without looking like a goof?

If you enjoyed reading about "How the heck do you guys do it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cassandrasdaddy
October 3, 2006, 10:16 PM
i got fat enough to spread gear out and hide it better:uhoh:

FTF
October 3, 2006, 10:27 PM
I carry my .45 OWB and a small folding knife. No extra mags. I'm debating OC since it's legal in most places I can't carry my piece.

Big shirts in the summer I guess. Big jackets in the winter.

Some people 'do' carry a lot in my opinion. Better safe than sorry, I know but I agree that it seems some people do push the comfort envelope lol.

SigfanUSAF
October 3, 2006, 10:27 PM
-Sig P220 (for when I FINALLY turn 21)

Outstanding choice! when I carry my 220 (I weigh 175lbs), I generally wear loose clothing, dark shirts, jackets where applicable, etc. By loose clothing I mean 1990s era, not 2000s with the crotch of the jeans between the knees. I buy shirts that are a little loose and somewhat long. For prolonged carry (can't carry at work) I have a 2 mag pouch on my left side. I refuse to buy a cell phone, don't carry pepperspray, flashlight, or a knife. Night carry warrents the 220 rail with my M3.

steveracer
October 3, 2006, 10:29 PM
I have asked this question before, and got answers that would require me to gain 40 pounds and make my belt long enough to hold everything. I also refuse to get a cell phone, and I don't see the need for OC. if the fight gets above and beyond what I can do with my hands, I need a gun NOW, not after I play trial-and-error with pepper spray.
Here's what I carry:
Pistol or revolver strong side behind the hip, holster or not, depending on clothes, but always the same place. IWB if my shirt isn't ver long, or owb if it is long enough to cover the gun.
Right back pocket: Wallet. I try very hard to carry my gun in such a way that getting to my wallett isn't hard. This is a pain sometimes with OWB carry, as the holster covers the entrance to the pocket on some pants. I have found holsters that don't do this, and the others sit in a box.
Left back pocket: Knife. This is where a good folder is handy.
Left front pocket: Magazine or speed strips. Two speed strips, or one magazine for the pistol. I got a DeSantis Magpacker for this. It's the cat's meow, I promise you. All it really does is keep the mag in the same place in your pocket. This has proven invaluable many times.
Right front pocket: Keys.

See? Not hard. I have only one item on my belt, and I can pretty much dress how I want. I carry a smaller gun when the clothes dictate it, but really it isn't bad. I can get away with a Commander with only a pair of shorts and a polo shirt. I'm 5'11" and 190 pounds. I have a 29" waist, so real estate on my belt is at a premium.
I used to carry two mags, and it never worked out. Something always poked me. Ever heard of "dehorned" magazines? me neither.
I do add a flashlight to my belt on the left side behind my hip when I walk at night. This isn't so bad now that I found the right light and holder.
Tadgear makes the best flashlight carrier I have ever seen, and it is specifically for the Innova X5, which is my carry light. (I can always just stick it in my pocket, too, but then I have the horrible racket of my keys hitting the light.)
Your size may be different, but this is the way I have found after 15 years to carry my stuff without printing, and without jabbing myself when I move around, which I do A LOT.
Steve

Geronimo45
October 3, 2006, 10:41 PM
Wear a coat whenever weather's below 90 (looks like that may be November). A cheap leather jacket can carry all sorts of things easily. Glasses, pens, keys, phone... ad infinitum.
I look however I please. If I decide to get a red shirt, epaulets, black pants and cavalry boots, I may go through the town dressed like a 19th century British cavalryman, saber and all. I may prefer jeans and t-shirt.
I dress however I please. If people think I look like a goof... they may have a point. I think they look like braindead zombies.

My parents won't admit it, but I'll bet that my first words were "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

neoncowboy
October 3, 2006, 10:49 PM
Carharrt pants are simply wonderful.

1911 in IWB holster
2 mags on weak side belt (or, in left front and left rear pockets when tucked in)
Strong side front pocket: Bechmade or CRKT folder clipped in, Swiss army knife, jeys
Strong side back pocket: Wallet and copy of US Constitution/Declaration of Independence
Weak side front pocket: OC spray if no spare mags...if spare mags are in pockets, they're the only thing in that pocket
Weak side rear pocket: Surefire E2D
Strong side thigh (or shirt pocket): cellphone

It all carries pretty well...not a big deal moving around with it. Then again, when I get undressed at night, it does look like a LOT of stuff to be carrying around.

Heh, I leave it all in my pants when I take them off/on at the gym...my pants weigh about 15 pounds.

Atticus
October 3, 2006, 10:57 PM
P3AT in front pocket.

MechAg94
October 3, 2006, 11:09 PM
A belly strap ain't real good for a quick draw but it does allow you to carry with just a T-shirt and shorts, as long as I don't tuck in the T-shirt.

Bruce333
October 3, 2006, 11:15 PM
I haven't changed the clothes I wear at all. I never have liked tight pants or tight shirts, so my wardrobe works well for me now that I carry (where I can).

Aker 1.25" belt
Cargo pants or cargo shorts (the ones with a built in cell phone pocket in the leg pockets)
flashlight in the left cell phone pocket
extra mag in the left front pocket
cell phone on belt on left side, in front of leatherman
pocket clip folding knife in right front pocket or in the right cell phone pocket
sidearm IWB right side
keys on caribiner on right front belt loop
wallet left rear pocket

Biker
October 3, 2006, 11:20 PM
I got a gun on my left ankle and once in a while, another one in my hip pocket, and a Gerber Mark II on my hip. No cell, no pager, no reloads. It oughta do. Always has. When it don't, well, I won't be able to let y'all know.

Biker;)

Standing Wolf
October 3, 2006, 11:28 PM
One of the advantages of carrying openly is that one doesn't still need to take appearances seriously. That saidô, I'll admit I carry a very thin pocket knife, six spare rounds of ammunition, no flash light, no back up gun, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

Hogfan1911
October 4, 2006, 12:37 AM
I'm 6', 165. Kahr P40, usually IWB just behind point of R hip, 1 spare mag in OWB holder behind L hip, folding knife clipped in L front pocket (visible, no prob w/that in Ark). Cell in front of mag pouch. Comfortable for 2-3 hrs or so. This is under a loose-fitting untucked t-shirt or unbuttoned, untucked button-up shirt. If I know I'm going to leave a jacket on (rare here), my full-size Kimber .45 OWB in a Fobus paddle rig, mag pouch, same location for both. If I'm in my typical work attire of scrubs, P40 on L ankle w/no spare mag. Hope to change that to a Galco Classic Lite shoulder rig soon.

taliv
October 4, 2006, 12:47 AM
for 3 of 4 seasons i'm in shorts and a t-shirt all day long. a 1911 compact iwb is all i carry, plus a wallet and car keys. i occasionally carry a cheap surefire G2, but never knives or reloads or spray or other assorted crap. i wear my phone on a cord around my neck.

Euclidean
October 4, 2006, 12:52 AM
Good holster. Careful clothes shopping. Confidence. Consistency.

DerringerUser
October 4, 2006, 12:55 AM
Hehe, i made a thread about this awhile ago.

IWB or OWB works well.

browningguy
October 4, 2006, 12:56 AM
Browning Hi Power in .40. Sometimes put the spare mag in a pocket if I'm downtown, but not often. Other than that I only carry important stuff, keys, wallet, snacks, I don't have any need for all the other stuff on me. And I do carry a Treo phone, great when I'm traveling, works anywhere in the world, gets email etc.

I almost always have my Land Rover nearby with a good tool kit, 2,000,000 candle power rechargeable light, BHP spare mags (2), BUG+ spare mag, multitool, 200 MPH tape (Duct Brand-also can be used as handcuffs).

Eyesac
October 4, 2006, 01:13 AM
I carry a Glock27 in a Galco IWB and I don't wear "big shirts or big coats" and you can't tell at all (and I'm a skinny guy 5'9" 150lbs). OC and a phone in the left pocket, knife clipped to the right pocket. Not so bad really!

Just pick a gun, and go to any well stocked gun shop and start buying holsters, you can probably get nylon holsters for $15 a pop (don't buy leather until you find a style that works well, then buy leather, or else you could spend more money than your gun).

BullfrogKen
October 4, 2006, 01:21 AM
Euclidean said: Good holster. Careful clothes shopping. Confidence. Consistency.

I concur. Its a complete system.

Good belt, good pouches, and good clothes shopping. And, I have to admit, the vests I produce do help quite a bit.

I carry a Commander in a discontinued Spark Road Runner (closest current design might be the 60TK). I have a spare mag and 6P in Sparks pouches, and a 4" fixed blade.

You can see a picture of that when I was working outside this year and had no cover garments here:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=208407

EatBugs
October 4, 2006, 01:44 AM
I too often wondered how one is able to CCW. I sometimes look to see if I can spot a person who CCW:scrutiny:

I never seem to find anyone who does. Even the few people I know for a fact CCW, I can never tell.

But I'm always looking for the belt or pocket or on the back carries. I get some curiouse looks back when I'm caught scoping those places out :o
Only thing I ever find are folding knives.

But my secret to where I keep my wallet, phone, mace, knife, keys, and stuff ....... In my purse!!:neener: Although I do keep a folding knife in my front pocket when wearing pants, which is most of the time.

But I guess my secret doesn't count since I'm not a guy :rolleyes: Oh well.

katonk
October 4, 2006, 02:21 AM
IWB..the only way to go for me....Mitch Rosen's "Workman" is by far the best concealment holster..IMHO...

shotgunkevin
October 4, 2006, 02:54 AM
I can easily conceal a medium sized auto in 9mm or .40 IWB, with a spare mag. on the weak side, under an untucked polo shirt or short-sleeved button up shirt. I've never been comfortable carrying with an unbuttoned shirt, or wearing a lightweight windbreaker unzipped. Oklahoma is too windy, and I fear the garment will blow open unless I weigh it down with scads of spare mags.
If I'm forced to wear my shirt tucked in, I'll carry a Kel-Tec P32 in my front right pocket with a spare mag in the left front.
I always carry a folding knife, and usually have a well-travelled Surefire 6P in a pocket. Add to this the requisite wallet, ink pen, keys, and cell phone, and it does make for a load. However, Milt Sparks 1.75 belts are, indeed, perfect.
Every bit of this - the gun, knife, phone, mag - is underneath an untucked shirt. All an observer sees is a handsome fellow with impeccible grooming and piercing eyes. ;)

xd9fan
October 4, 2006, 02:56 AM
you'd be amazed at what people DONT notice........

aaronrkelly
October 4, 2006, 02:59 AM
The key is to keep at it.....its gonna cost you a little money to try a few holsters and perhaps a few guns. Then you will find the setup. Anything will be foreign to you until you do it awhile, then it will be second nature.

evan price
October 4, 2006, 04:49 AM
SIG P239 IWB right side. Streamlight Stylus in breast pocket with a decent clicky ball point pen. Gerber multitool left side holster. Cell phone breast pocket. Watch on leather carabiner clip strap hanging on right side into front pocket. Keys- I have pared down how many keys I carry so now they comfortably fit in front pants pocket. Wallet in rear hip. Swiss army knife other front pants pocket. Asthma inhaler in pocket with swiss army knife, padded with a hanky. Spare mag in my truck.
I stopped carrying any change, that gets dumped in a bucket every night when I come home. It just jingles and weighs you down, and you'd be surprised how much you save up after a year, and how you never seem to have the right change when you DO carry it.

KD5NRH
October 4, 2006, 05:21 AM
Well, let's see:

SmartCarry: Colt Gov't Model .45 & spare mag, S&W 4" .38Spl, or Bersa Thunder .380 & 2 spare mags

IWB (Tuckable): Colt Gov't Model & spare mag or Taurus PT99AF

IWB (Regular): the Bersa or the Colt

Coronado Safari Leather Vest: All of the above, though the Taurus or the S&W can be a bit of a tricky fit. Also, spare mags, SureFire G2, glowstick, second wallet, spare batteries for G2

OWB: Pelican M3 Xenon - who cares if it gets spotted?

Generally, I carry either the Colt or Taurus IWB tucked, and the Bersa in the vest. With the Colt, the holster carries a spare mag, and I drop an extra in each front pocket. With the Taurus, I just carry a spare in the left pocket and an extra in the car. Two Bersa spares tend to live in the vest unless I'm doing something where I can't wear it. For bowling and other heavy activity, the Bersa goes in the SmartCarry w/2 spares, and one of the larger autos stays in the car.

The idea is to have a complete kit (gun + spare ammo + light) in the vest so I can just throw it on and go if I'm running late and can't spare the time to put something else on. The Safari and matching Henschel leather fedora might not blend in as well as some styles, but they really don't tend to scream "GUN" either. Combining them with the Indiana Jones ringtone on my phone tends to make people write me off as a bit eccentric :D

mzmtg
October 4, 2006, 08:36 AM
I usually wear "cargo" style pants or shorts that have leg pockets. The only things I carry on my belt are the USP in a CTAC holster and a spare mag behind the left hip. Wallet goes in right leg pocket. Surefire G2 goes in left leg pocket. Knife gets clipped in left hip pocket. Phone goes in right hip pocket or breast pocket of cover shirt, if there is one.

So that adds up to:
USP
Spare Mag
Flashlight
Knife
Wallet
Phone

Keeping it spread out keeps it from printing.

usp9
October 4, 2006, 08:48 AM
I use this to carry. People assume I'm a postal worker and ignore me.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d108/MercAce/Airsoft%20Equipment/QUICK20DRAW20TACTICAL20VEST.gif
Hides great under a parka, poncho or full length beaver coat.
:D

Legionnaire
October 4, 2006, 10:03 AM
I wear a sport coat most of the time, and that works great for covering IWB or OWB. Other times, tuckable IWB holster under a button shirt. Yet other times, IWB with clip under an untucked sport shirt. "Always" gun is a small pocket auto in a pocket holster. Gun, rig, and garments all depend on the situation. It's good to have alternatives.

shooting on a shoestring
October 4, 2006, 10:23 AM
When I switched to the SP101 I started trying different holsters, I also tried none. It worked best of all. I carry at about 2 o'clock, IWB, jeans with leather belt, tee shirt untucked. Gun stays put while sitting, running, climbing, chasing Jack Russel Terriers.... Invisiable, quick to draw, carry from morning till night.

I go with what works. Change it if it doesn't.

Ben Shepherd
October 4, 2006, 10:26 AM
Pockets, and a good belt.

DesertShooter
October 4, 2006, 10:43 AM
I've CCW'ed for 35+ years, and have NEVER been "made". I prefer the IWB holsters, but often carry in a shoulder rig when the weather is cold and I can wear a jacket.

Personally, I don't think that you need to buy "custom-made" holsters or "CCW clothing". With an IWB holster, you need to get it adjusted properly, so that it won't print. Then, you need to experiment with your body positioning. By that, I mean that you should place your IWB at a comfortable location, but will still afford you to draw it effectively. Then, put on a loose fitting tee shirt and stand in front of a mirror. You can slightly angle your stance, or hold your elbows against the exposed butt of your firearm, so that it can't be seen by others.

Lastly, I've noticed how many folks are somewhat "paranoid" about "printing". Chances are quite slim that anyone will notice a small bulge at your waist, no matter how fat or how skinny you are! If someone DOES notice and says something about it, tell them, "Oh, this is embarrassing! It's my catheter bag, and it's full! I need to find a bathroom to empty it!"

NineseveN
October 4, 2006, 11:18 AM
Well, here goes:

1911 and 4 spare mags in a shoulder holster system. Cell phone, wallet, knife/leatherman, keys. Getting the gun off the belt helps a lot for me, I can put whatever I want in my pockets and on my belt and not have to worry one bit. With 8 round mags I get 41 rounds until I'm out...that's not because I think I'd actually need that many, but the weight on either side of the rig is within 3-4 ounces of the other, which helps keep it balanced and comfortable. :)

kahr404life
October 4, 2006, 11:31 AM
Where clothes (shirts) that are at least 2 sizes two large.

riverdog
October 4, 2006, 11:36 AM
http://www.miltsparks.com/

Dirty Bob
October 4, 2006, 11:47 AM
I carry a Kel-Tec P-11 in the right front (appendix) area, regardless of attire or time of year. I use a "tuckable" holster (Galco "USA"), but prefer carrying under an untucked shirt. Either way, the drawstroke is the same.

Flashlight is a compact (but not tiny) Inova T1, in my front left pants pocket next to the wallet. I carry a very thin and small fixed blade on my keys in the other front pants pocket. It draws easily: I drag the back of my hand against the pocket edge while drawing, and the sheath catches there and drops back into the pocket with the keys. Fast and simple. Spare mag is carried openly in a flap-top knife pouch. It's 100% hidden, but I don't try to conceal the pouch. Cell phone on right hip. Streamlight Stylus and sturdy pen in my shirt pocket.

When wearing an untucked shirt, I sometimes add a KA-BAR TDI to my ensemble on the left side, in front of the hip, set up for a left-hand draw.

A light t-shirt under the outer shirt adds a lot to comfort.

It took some experimentation to work out what's best for me. YMMV. Everyone is a rule unto themselves when it comes to CCW. Health issues, required wardrobe, lifestyle, activities, etc. all play a part. Some people just tolerate the weight and bulk of a handgun better than others. I've heard some state that they can't carry bigger than a .25 or .32 in summer, and I can agree with them on one thing: carrying on a hot, steamy summer day isn't much fun. Others carry a Glock 17 all year-round, but I just couldn't do it with my system. The P-11's the right size/caliber/weight for me.

Regards,
Dirty Bob

Here's the knife and keys setup:
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=34954&d=1138981251

StuckInMA
October 4, 2006, 11:53 AM
The best thing I ever did to help with printing was to buy a good belt. After going through several holster/gun combo's I realized the problem was that the belt was too thin/flimsy to support the weight which allowed the OWB holsters to lean. So I ditched the $10 Wally World belt and picked up a decent CCW belt.

I can comfortably leave the house in jeans and a t-shirt now without asking my wife "Can you notice it?" every time I head out. :)

Sawdust
October 4, 2006, 11:58 AM
1911 and 4 spare mags in a shoulder holster system.

What rig do you use? Do you recommend it?

Thanks,

Sawdust

NineseveN
October 4, 2006, 12:06 PM
Sawdust: Check your PM's. :)

Steve499
October 4, 2006, 12:13 PM
Kel Tec P3AT and one spare mag in a home made open top holster in my right front pocket. Everywhere. Works with jeans, cargo pants, khakis, suit pants and all the shorts I own. You forget it's there.

I retired from law enforcement after 30 years. I have carried lots of different pistols in about every way imaginable during that time. The little Kel Tec in the front pocket is the easiest of all.

Steve

ny32182
October 4, 2006, 12:19 PM
I wear cargo pants or shorts whenever possible.

Midsize auto IWB, if I have a spare mag its usually in my weak side front pocket. Wallet/keys/knife/phone distributed between my other front pocket and cargo pockets. Never could figure out the point of a flashlight.

ron8903
October 4, 2006, 12:25 PM
What EUC sead

romma
October 4, 2006, 12:32 PM
wallet, keys,sunglasses,cell phone (sometimes two cell phones ), only 1 gun, no spare mags (usually) tucked IWB. No problem, it's the rest of the crap that falls out of my hands as I am walking out the door. Especially If I am carrying a gym bag to work out later in the day. ;)

Sistema1927
October 4, 2006, 12:35 PM
Here is what works for me, YMMV (BTW, I am left handed):

Left front pocket: Kahr PM9 in DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster & NOTHING else.

Right front pocket: keys, change, spare 7 round mag in leather sheath, small Case pocket knife for ordinary chores, small one handed folder (either a Gerber or CRKT) clipped inside this pocket, small vial of Tylenol and Motrin.

Left rear pocket: wallet.

Right rear pocket: checkbook and comb.

On belt at 5:00: Leatherman in nylon sheath, cell phone in clip on holder, and sometimes work cell phone in clip on holder

I can do this with any kind of clothing, jeans, slacks, dockers, shorts, etc. so I don't have to change the routine to match the wardrobe. The only exception are those few times when I need to wear a suit, and I will forego the Leatherman and put the cell phone, less case, in an inside suit jacket pocket. Using pocket carry, I don't have to wear a cover garment, buy my pants/belt larger than necessary, or worry about the colors I choose.

Dirty Bob
October 4, 2006, 12:37 PM
Never could figure out the point of a flashlight.Neither could I; that's why I carry two! ;)

Seriously, when you come out of bright sunlight into a dim area, you can be blind without a light, even in the middle of the day. I had this happen recently in the back hallway of a restaurant. There was no light at all, but I had a light and was able to find my way through to the restroom.

At night, a light can back someone off. I don't believe in the light-as-a-weapon stuff, but a bright light generally means that the person's intended target is not in "victim" mode. Thirdly, a good, sturdy flashlight makes a heck of a pocket stick. I've carried the T1 on airplanes all of the U.S. and in Western Europe, and through metal detectors into museums and other places. I have it set up with an o-ring lanyard, as recommended by Tiger McKee in his excellent book.

Regards,
Dirty Bob

If you enjoyed reading about "How the heck do you guys do it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!