Century AK's

PDA

Rupestris
October 4, 2006, 01:08 AM
Quick question.

I've heard nothing good about the Century FAL's. A local chain store (Dunhams) has Century AK's on sale for $199. Thats cheaper than the last Saigas that they sold. Are they worth looking into or should I save my coin for the Ruger 101 and CCW/CPL costs?

Thanks,

cs

If you enjoyed reading about "Century AK's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kymasabe
October 4, 2006, 01:23 AM
Wow, Century AK's for $199....I'd be tempted to buy one at that price!

MAKOwner
October 4, 2006, 01:35 AM
Single stack only (ie low cap mags) Romanian WASR I assume? Pretty good price anyway. I've had a pair of Century's older Romanian standard cap AKs (SAR1 and 2), I still have the SAR1. They've been excellent rifles w/ few issues, I'll probably never get rid of my SAR1, solid rifle IMO.

All century does is install a US gas piston and fire control group in the low cap only WASRs (at least I think they use the US parts in the low cap only models, certainly in the highcap models), the rest of the rifle is built in Romania. Century doesn't actually build the rifle. On the high cap WASRs Century then mills the mag well out to accept standard AK mags, but those sell for $300ish. Unless I'm mistaken on the low cap WASRs for the last couple years, they've had the standard AK trunion, so the only thing preventing the insertion of standard AK mags is the mag well opening size in the receiver. You could probably open it up yourself if you're into DIY projects, may want to read up on that to be sure though.

Rupestris
October 4, 2006, 11:14 PM
Thanks!

I already have a couple .30-30's which are ballistacally similar so I opted against the Century.

They also had the high cap WASR's on sale for $299.

Both tempting but not what I need right now.

Thanks again,

cs

the naked prophet
October 5, 2006, 12:30 AM
Jump on it, and dremel out the mag well, or have a gunsmith do it for a few bucks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Century AK's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!