Optics mounted with standard AR15 FSB question.

PDA

Redlg155
May 14, 2003, 05:10 PM
Ok...I'm still waiting for my money order to be delivered for my new upper (see my post about Postal Service Woes in General Discussion). In the meantime my Armalite 1" mount and Leupold VXII 3-9x40mm scope came in the mail. Ohh..and for anyone considering the Armalite mount, this thing is rock solid with a recoil lug built into lower part of the mount that engages a slot in the rails.

I went ahead and decided to just mount her on my 9mm AR to have fun with until whenever my new upper arrives. If you look at the picture you can see that the FSB (front sight base) clearly extends into the scope line of sight, almost halfway.

My question is this. How is it that the FSB can extend that far and not obscure the sight picture in the scope? The view is nice and clear with no indication of the FSB being in the way.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/pa3fa5bc4484d76fa1a1bdd23d2150bfb/fc261a4b.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/pd4aa9d128cc42587c01039a31e0da556/fc261a50.jpg

Good Shooting
Red

If you enjoyed reading about "Optics mounted with standard AR15 FSB question." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Onslaught
May 14, 2003, 05:19 PM
Because the optic is magnified. Imagine the image as a solid object making it's way to the scope. It's a cone, that gets smaller and smaller until it gets to the scope. So the light you're seeing in your scope is coming from a very narrow beam of light that's mostly missing the FSB entirely. If it were an unmagnified optic (as you know ;) ) you'd see it.

VERY nice btw. I really want a mid-length for my Bushy.

Redlg155
May 14, 2003, 10:49 PM
Ok..I think I get it. Kinda like a flashlight beam. :D

Good Shooting
Red

If you enjoyed reading about "Optics mounted with standard AR15 FSB question." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!