How to sell a firearm

PDA

PlayboyPenguin
October 4, 2006, 02:13 PM
If you decided you wanted to sell a firearm how would you go about it?

As I mentioned I bought a Beretta Tomcat .32acp then shortly after bought a Seecamp .32cp so I have no use for the larger Tomcat now. So I am stuck with a beretta that I have only fired 6 rounds through sitting in my safe.

If you enjoyed reading about "How to sell a firearm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
browningguy
October 4, 2006, 02:18 PM
I open the bidding at $200.

Seriously though, I've bought and sold a few through Gunbroker.com and had no problems so far.

PlayboyPenguin
October 4, 2006, 02:23 PM
I am betting I could find a buyer. It is a sweet little gun and I am not going to be too demanding how much I get for it. I also am going to include the holster I bought for it (Don Hume leather belt holster). I just want it to go to someone who will enjoy it. I would just not know how to go about transfering it if I did sell it.

SOG/MACV
October 4, 2006, 02:43 PM
PM sent

vynx
October 4, 2006, 02:57 PM
List it for sale on this site.

I have bought guns from listings here.

PlayboyPenguin
October 4, 2006, 02:57 PM
SOG,

If that means private message I never received it.

DogBonz
October 4, 2006, 03:04 PM
I've had good luck selling some things here, and they were face to face, so no shipping problems.

Bullet Bob
October 4, 2006, 03:04 PM
You really just don't have a reason for it now. Odds are you will in the future, for a wife/girlfriend, or because you're other gun is in for service.

Never sell quality guns. You will want them again in the future, and it will cost you more then to replace it.

Feel free to ignore this advice from someone who learned his lesson the hard way!

SOG/MACV
October 4, 2006, 03:12 PM
Playboy,, you didn't get my PM !! :banghead: .. Sorry about that. I sent you a PM asking what your FTF price here in PDX would be..

PlayboyPenguin
October 4, 2006, 03:14 PM
SOG,

What is FTF ?

SOG/MACV
October 4, 2006, 03:16 PM
Face to face

Polishrifleman
October 4, 2006, 03:27 PM
First off the thread should be moved to the appropriate section if you are actually selling it.

Second off individuals like SOG should answer your question while making a pm offer.

You can sell your pistol in the state you reside to a resident in the state you reside in. Oregon even provides you with an option to do a background check if you read the 166 statutes as mentioned in your other post.

Otherwise you can sell it out of state or to a person from out of state. Let's say someone wants to do a FTF in Vancouver or is willing to drive across the river to meet you. You would need to meet at a legal FFL that is willing to conduct the transer, the FFL will charge a fee and the transfer will be complete. Since it is a handgun the purchaser might be subject to holding timeframes.

If you choose to ship the pistol all you need is the money (certified is best) and an FFL from the buyer. You ship the gun to the FFL (NOT the BUYER) with a copy of your drivers license you cash the check and you are done.

asknight
October 4, 2006, 03:38 PM
If you choose to sell it online, you have the buyer send a FFL signed in ink along with the check or money order. You ship it direct to that FFL dealer's address listed on the form, and absolutely to no other address. You will likely have to present the FFL to the shipping carrier when arranging shipping to verify that you're abiding by federal regulations.

Some shipping companies require it to be shipped overnight. Ask your local shipping companies what their specific requirements are. Avoid them if they say federal law mandates them to require overnight, as it does not. Federal law only mandates that a firearm be shipped TO a FFL dealer, not how, so long as it's not USPS.

See here (http://www.thegunzone.com/ship-guns.html) for some specifics on certain carriers.

PlayboyPenguin
October 4, 2006, 03:43 PM
Anyone have an idea what I good price would be to ask? I am not wanting to soak anyone...just cut my losses. I know it's retail price is a little over $400 and the holster was $30 I think so I was thinking in the $225-$250 range. I have only fired one magazine through it.

asknight
October 4, 2006, 03:49 PM
I see them locally in that range, so I don't think you're way off in the stratosphere or anything like that.

If your buyer doesn't want the buy the holster, I will gladly take it off your hands.

Polishrifleman
October 4, 2006, 03:54 PM
You have about three different posts going in one so it is a little tough. Hopefully the last couple of posts helped you with how to complete the transaction.

I know all this posting is all spur of the moment and you are going with it.

Pricing you should post in the general handgun section. You are on a good track with the round count, you will need to provide more information though because the more info. you provide the better the experience and maybe the price too.

What make: Beretta
What model: Tomcat (blue, matte, stainless, inox) it matters
What features: .32cal 7shot
Box, papers, tools, holsters etc...:
Round count: 7
How accurate:
Night Sites:
# of Mags:
Scratches, Dings, Dents:

Oh Yeah: Why are you selling it (nevermind lengthy post elsewhere)

PlayboyPenguin
October 4, 2006, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the info. I just found the "for sale" section of THR and I will be listing it today. I just need to figure out what to charge for shipping and transfer.

Gord
October 4, 2006, 06:36 PM
I just need to figure out what to charge for shipping and transfer.

If you are doing a face-to-face sale, FFL transfer isn't required - you get cash, other party gets gun. Simple as that. (Unless you're in ************.)

If you ship it to someone, it's up to them to pay the transfer fee, which is set by the FFL it's being shipped to. So, unless you're required by law to have an FFL send your gun for you, the transfer fee shouldn't be a factor at all.

Shipping will range from $15-30, depending. Again, in California, handguns must be sent overnight air; I dunno about other states' laws.

Good luck!

If you enjoyed reading about "How to sell a firearm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!