a cleaning question

PDA

dougestyle
October 4, 2006, 07:24 PM
Confused a little bit on if I need a guide to use with my cleaning rod even though I'm cleaning from the breech. I've heard of using one for the muzzle but not sure about the breech. Also, have any of you guys used Pro-Shot copper solvent IV? It says that it removes copper AND powder fouling. Should I belive this or get another cleaner for the power residue. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "a cleaning question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ocabj
October 4, 2006, 08:34 PM
There are many bore guides that fit the breech / chamber end.

Stoney Point makes an All-In-One style bore guide:

http://www.stoneypoint.com/boreallinone_index.html

I have one, but I prefer to get a guide that is made to fit the specific action. I get the delrin ones sold by Sinclair Intl.

If you want a good all round solvent, I highly recommend either Butch's Bore Shine or Montana Xtreme. Both of these are good a getting both powder/carbon and copper fouling, yet are bore safe.

Chipperman
October 4, 2006, 08:38 PM
IMO you do not need a guide, just be careful.
Remember it's a cleaning rod, not a ram rod. ;)

ocabj
October 4, 2006, 08:51 PM
Considering how tight fitting the patches are in the bore, you'll want a bore guide considering you'll be putting some flex on that rod.

Short Dewey 30 cal rods in my Garand are no problem, but my 40"+ Dewey rod in my 6.5x55 Swede flexes quite a bit.

Use a bore guide at all times.

dougestyle
October 4, 2006, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the insight and quick reply guys. I'll heed the warnings and go on-line now and get one. Thanks again.

dfariswheel
October 4, 2006, 08:54 PM
The purpose of the chamber end bore guide is to keep solvent and dirt out of the action and trigger assembly.

ocabj
October 4, 2006, 08:57 PM
The purpose of the chamber end bore guide is to keep solvent and dirt out of the action and trigger assembly.

That's one of the benefits, but you still want a bore guide for chamber end cleaning to protect the throat. While muzzle or crown damage is detrimental to accuracy, throat damage is also critical.

If you enjoyed reading about "a cleaning question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!