Poll: One-Gun Household, prepared?

PDA

Low-Sci
October 4, 2006, 10:30 PM
Here's the hypothetical: There is a family that owns a house in the suburbs of a reasonably safe town. The family consists of a man and his wife, both in their mid-thirties. They have two children who just started high school; one boy and one girl.

The only firearm in this household is a 9mm semiautomatic pistol, which belongs to the father. The father practices with the pistol on a monthly basis with some friends and has become quite skilled in its use at the firing range. He does not have a concealed carry permit, but does live in a right-to-carry state.

If you enjoyed reading about "Poll: One-Gun Household, prepared?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jorg Nysgerrig
October 4, 2006, 11:08 PM
Owning and being proficient with a firearm is a small part of being prepared. Your poll implies the question of whether he has enough equipment or training with his sole firearm, but the real question should be, "Has the family trained enough?".

Do they lock all the doors while they are home? Do the kids know where to go in case of a break-in? Does everyone have a phone nearby to call 911? Do they have a dog/motion sensing light/alarms? What do they do when someone rings the doorbell after dark? If they hear noises outside, what do they do?

And I dare say, that by practicing with the home-defense gun once a month, the hypothetical husband gets more range time than many of the people here.

Then again, with only about 17% of violent crime happening at or in one's home, one could say that he's not well prepared at all.

the naked prophet
October 4, 2006, 11:27 PM
Assuming other preparations are in line, such as locking the doors, not opening the door for strangers, situational awareness, etc., I think that a 9mm semiautomatic handgun is the best "only gun" you can own.

It's respectable power, respectable capacity, highly portable, and everyone in the family can be trained in its efficient use. You can take it with you on a trip, and if necessary you can stuff it in your waistband while you attend to other needs that may arise during a situation.

The Deer Hunter
October 4, 2006, 11:40 PM
At least you arent playing "oh it will never happen to me"

No_Brakes23
October 4, 2006, 11:46 PM
Could be a lot better prepared, even without any tinfoilly stuff.

But one firearm with one proficient user is a whole lot better than nothing.

Maybe his wife is mildly hoplophobic, in which case his passive preparation is sub-optimal, but far, far better than nothing.

Geronimo45
October 4, 2006, 11:50 PM
A 9mm isn't a bad choice for only gun. Harder for a BG to grab off you, easier to carry to the door - you can stick it in a pocket or waistband with a coat or shirttail over it. Can't do that with a shotgun.

FTF
October 5, 2006, 12:17 AM
Considering that by and large that the most popular means of death by gun violence is the 9x19 round... I think they are on equal ground. Of course, if the crook enters at night or when the homeowner is not as prepared as the criminal, then he is at a disadvantage and therefore, underprepared.

To equalize the situation, I would recommend some kind of alarm system, be it electronic or canine and a good set of locks/deadbolts as well as bars on basement level etc...

If those precautions are taken, then the homeowners proficiency with his weapon will give him the upper hand, ultimately.

I voted somewhat underprepared.

Who are the two freaks that voted overprepared? Maybe a bow and arrow is more relevant today, I dunno.

dfaugh
October 5, 2006, 08:49 AM
I went "unprepared"...not because of the choice of gun/caliber (although that could be debated) or the fact that there's only gun in the house.

The key is there's only ONE COMPETENT GUN USER in the house. Does any one else know how to effectively use the gun? What if Dad's not home?

In my house every one (in this case myself and 2 sons) is profficient in the use of any of the HD guns (large house there are 4, so you're never too far from a gun.) or amost any of my guns for that matter.

In your scenario the wife should definitely know how to shoot, and the kids are certainly old enough as well.

Although I'd go for a shotgun myself:p

ALHunter
October 5, 2006, 08:57 AM
Does the father, let alone any of the other family members, have the mental willpower to take a human life if needed to defend him/his family? Without first at least believing you can pull that trigger and take a human life then the number of guns, the caliber, the amount of training, etc. are all ancillary.

Pat Cannon
October 5, 2006, 10:10 AM
Good points made here about alarms, locks, etc., but I voted 'unprepared for one specific reason: If you should be required to shoot someone in defense of self or others, it's very likely the police will take your weapon, maybe for a long time depending on their attitude and the legal details.

So now that you really know you needed that gun, you don't have it.

Last time I suddenly wanted to buy a handgun (just because of a clearance sale) was before I had a carry permit and my permit to purchase a handgun was expired; it would have taken me 10 days to get a new one, so tough luck. Here in Minnesota there's no permit required for long guns so if I really just needed a weapon I guess I could get a shotgun at Wal-mart. Wal-mart is open 24 hours, but they're not right on my way home from the police station.

Anyway now that I do have a carry permit, I also have a second pistol for that reason -- and because sometimes they break (which is why my choice of second gun was a Ruger revolver).

Zen21Tao
October 5, 2006, 10:27 AM
I don't there is really any such thing as being "prepared." Usually when a SHTF situation happens quick reactions, adaquate training and available equipment do increase your chances of survival but they don't make you poised and ready to act in every possible situation at any moments notice. There is always a level of uncertainy that can't be anticipated no matter how much training and/or equipment you have.

Also, many people come to rely so much on the fact that they are skilled and have the equipment to defend themseves available to them that they drop their guard. In their situation, their belief that they are prepared actually works against them. I think that the best formula is to work towards being as prepared (both physically and mentally) as possible while at the same time realizing that they will never succeed in being 100% prepared for any and every situation that might happen.

Shipwreck
October 5, 2006, 12:23 PM
You aren't really prepared until you have 5-8 guns :p :p :rolleyes:

akodo
October 5, 2006, 01:47 PM
the gun is only one catagory of preparation. In that catagory, i would say, yes, adequately prepared.

However, do they have a few weeks supply of any important medication? Is the cubboard bare or is it well stocked? do they have multiple smoke detectors and regularly check them? fire extinguisher? Insurance policies all paid up? emergency creditcards? etc etc

sometimes us gunners like to think about 'what guns to fight off the looters when bird flu hits and the city shuts down' but we don't always get enough preperation for other areas.

PlayboyPenguin
October 5, 2006, 02:24 PM
When you consider the reality of the situation and how unlikely a person is to ever even have to draw a weapon in their lifetime I would say he is prepared for almost any situation that is likely to arise. And since noone can ever be prepared for every situation I would say he is doing just fine with the one pistol.

MachIVshooter
October 5, 2006, 02:34 PM
They are certainly better prepared than a household with NO firearms, but with just one, they will only be able to defend themselves against moderate threats. One leaves you with no backup in the event that A) the firearm fails or B) you loose control of it (invader gets it before you or takes it from you; now you are an unarmed hostage).

I believe one per mature (over 15, +/-) household member is minimum, and preferably with one or two backup weapons that can be easily and discreetly accessed.

Furncliff
October 5, 2006, 02:37 PM
You do have a sign(s) on the premises that advertise the fact that this house is protected by ABC Security.. right?

Cut this out and paste it next to that sign(s).

Premises protected by: Armed occupant, trained, prepared and willing to demonstrate acquired skills.

ps. language may need to be adjusted for reading and comprehension level of local meatheads.

Rev. DeadCorpse
October 5, 2006, 02:57 PM
Underprepared.

You don't just buy one hammer and figure your toolbox is complete. For your average "midnight visitor", one pistol may do the job... but what if you have more than one uninvited guest? Or riots breakout as they did in LA and Detroit? What about a hunting caliber rifle? The above scenario posits training for the father, but what if he isn't home? Are the wife and kids up to speed and do they have access? Not everyone is comfortable shooting the same caliber. Are there issues, hand size ect..., with shooting the pistol?

Always have the right tools for the job on hand. Limiting yourself limits your options.

Besides, collecting is fun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Poll: One-Gun Household, prepared?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!