JHPs legal in CA? $100 riding on this

PDA

winstonsmith
May 14, 2003, 08:40 PM
My friends are adamant that they aren;t. I am certain that they are.

Help out, please.

If you enjoyed reading about "JHPs legal in CA? $100 riding on this" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Greg L
May 14, 2003, 08:43 PM
My vote goes to you but I don't have anything official to back it up.

Greg

Feanaro
May 14, 2003, 08:46 PM
No idea but I'm betting on you.

Croyance
May 14, 2003, 08:48 PM
I believe so. I think only New Jersey bans sale to and possesion by private citizens of hollow point bullets.
I also don't have proof. This is a little difficult, since a law might be listed on state, municipal, or DA's website, then again it might not be. How do you prove the absence of a law?

Pilgrim
May 14, 2003, 09:00 PM
I do not know of any ban on JHPs in the PDRK. I have lived here most of my life.

TechBrute
May 14, 2003, 09:01 PM
1) Walk into gunshop.
2) Purchase legal JHP rounds. :D

Yes, they are legal. I think LA has banned Black Talons (or Death Talons for those of you who watch CSI), and there may be some other local bans, but on a state level they are legal.

Zer000
May 14, 2003, 09:01 PM
I sure hope they aren't, or else I'm a criminal. :uhoh:

With that $100, you can go out and buy plenty of 'em.

winstonsmith
May 14, 2003, 09:04 PM
You know I should just hand them some jhps... whats the cheapest type of ammo?

Hmm.. gonna be hard to get to a gun store. Anyone know of one in san francisco thats not in a bad neighborhood? The ones that I know of are. I would have to get there by public transportation. Not fun when you're white and scrawny.

<edited for ease of comprehension>

Stickjockey
May 14, 2003, 09:13 PM
Winston-

The only one I know of is about two blocks south of Mission. Don't know the exact street, but you can get there this way:

Go to Golden Gate University, 546 Mission Street. (My alma mater)

Go East to the end of the block, then turn South and look for the gun store on the left-hand side of the street. IIRC it's not too far past Rickenbacker's AEF.

Hope this helps!

BerettaNut92
May 14, 2003, 09:15 PM
Sure as heck yes, they are legal.

Do I receive a commission for your $100?

winstonsmith
May 14, 2003, 09:17 PM
sure skunk, if you can get me some JHPS ;)

BerettaNut92
May 14, 2003, 09:29 PM
www.natchezss.com look for the Federal Hydra-Shoks. Don't buy the Personal Defense ones at the gunstore, they are downloaded. What you save, you end up paying in shipping, so it's really a wash.

Winchester SXTs are supposedly good but not as good as the Ranger T series. But this is all hearsay; I have nothing to back this up but opinions of gun skul teachers.

I hear the Gold Dots are pretty damn good as well.

Standing Wolf
May 14, 2003, 09:29 PM
I used to buy them when I lived in the People's Republic of California.

Oleg Volk
May 14, 2003, 09:33 PM
They are legal but only for people over 21. You are second-class serf until that time, sorry. ;)

Black_Talon
May 14, 2003, 09:42 PM
If they're not legal I'm in a heap o' trouble. I've bought about 3000rds of Ranger T's over the last few months and at least 3000-5000rds of Hydra-Shoks over the last 10+ years.

Every gun shop has plenty of Gold Dots, Golden Sabres, SXT, H-S, Corbon, etc. 100% legal...........so far. Only restrictions are: 1)Statewide you have to be 21 to purchase pistol ammo, it's been like this since 1968, 2)Some municipalites have banned the sale of pistol ammo or any ammo.

SquirrelNuts
May 14, 2003, 09:52 PM
It is my understanding that Black Talons (Ranger SXT's) are restricted due to a Winchester policy, not a law. Winchester will only sell to police departments/distributors. But you can purchase them from a police officer.

-SquirrelNuts

gudel
May 14, 2003, 10:02 PM
went to walmart in oxnard couple days ago. they sell winchester JHP in 50.

QuarterBoreGunner
May 14, 2003, 10:11 PM
Absolutely 100% legal.

And yes, Black Talon™ are legal to buy sell and own; Winchester pulled them from the market through public perception/pressure but they arn't banned or under any other sort of special legislation.

I think it's funny how BTs have gained an almost mythic status, they're just another premium JHP. The current Ranger XT is essentially the same thing.

Jim March
May 14, 2003, 11:25 PM
Your friend gets a consolation prize.

The city of San Francisco banned all sales of ammo which is "intended for use against humans". So the Federal "personal defense" ammo in 38spl was banned, but XTP hunting hollowpoints in 44Mag are *not*.

:rolleyes:

It hardly matters. They've driven out all the gun shops but one small one that wasn't even open full-time last I looked. And it doesn't affect mail-order sales or ownership/carry/range use at all.

QuarterBoreGunner
May 14, 2003, 11:30 PM
The city of San Francisco banned all sales of ammo which is "intended for use against humans". So the Federal "personal defense" ammo in 38spl was banned, but XTP hunting hollowpoints in 44Mag are *not*.

Jim- that's just plain nuts. Can you sight a city code on that? I have to see it with my own eyes.

Hot brass
May 15, 2003, 12:11 AM
If they are not legal Wally World is in trouble, because I just bought a box from WWorld last week.

Tell your friend to fork over the moola. :scrutiny:

Jim March
May 15, 2003, 01:32 AM
Sigh. I found it. My memory was just a little bit off, as you'll see.

This is in the section of the Police Code relating to licensing of gun dealers:

-----------------
(j) The licensee shall not sell, lease or otherwise transfer to any person any ammunition that:

(1) Serves no sporting purpose;

(2) Is designed to expand upon impact and utilize the jacket, shot or materials embedded within the jacket or shot to project or disperse barbs or other objects that are intended to increase the damage to a human body or other target (including, but not limited to, Winchester Black Talon, Speer Gold Dot, Federal Hydra-Shok, Hornady XTP, Eldorado Starfire, Hollow Point Ammunition and Remington Golden Sabre ammunition; or

(3) Is designed to fragment upon impact (including, but not limited to, Black Rhino bullets and Glaser Safety Slugs).

This subsection does not apply to conventional hollow-point ammunition with a solid lead core when the purchase is made for official law enforcement purposes and the purchaser is authorized to make such a purchase by the director of a public law enforcement agency such as the Chief of the San Francisco Police Department or the Sheriff of the City and County of San Francisco.
-----------------

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/California/San%20Francisco/Police/article00021.htm

:rolleyes:

CZ-75
May 15, 2003, 02:02 AM
Anyone know of one in san francisco thats not in a bad neighborhood? The ones that I know of are. I would have to get there by public transportation. Not fun when you're white and scrawny.

I'm suprised you think you need a gun or those deadly baby-killing JHPs when you live in a Worker's Paradise. :rolleyes:

;)

twoblink
May 15, 2003, 05:28 AM
Since that was what was in my revolver for the better part of 2 years.. If they weren't legal, why did they keep selling them to me? :p

gunsmith
May 15, 2003, 05:59 AM
South San Francisco.
legal to own! you can buy them in SF(highbridge arms)
if you are a LEO or armed security...
Go to the next gun show at the cow palace
and buy a bunch with your 100$ winning$

gunsmith
May 15, 2003, 06:14 AM
highbridge end of valencia on mission,yeah the 14 sux
I just had to pepper spray a guy the other day.
Jackson arms,take caltrans 2 or 3 stops very safe!
while at jackson take a walk down grand on the other side
of 101 to Armiano's.
also marin and san mateo have some gun stores.
traders in san leandro is nor cals largest gun shop
they are near bart,but I wont shop there because they
play KOIT radio (lite rock/less talk)
that station plays all the lame crap like backstreet boys/
babara streisand/ you know, crybaby music for idiots.
the last time I was there I had to wear earplugs but it
did not work...I now spend all my $$$ at jackson arms!

Jim March
May 15, 2003, 06:23 AM
Highbridge is the only one actually inside the city limits and therefore subject to that wacky ammo restriction. Jackson and the one near it are RIGHT across the border.

QuarterBoreGunner
May 15, 2003, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the code post Jim.

And I told myself along time ago that nothing this city does should surprise me.

Another thumbs up for Jackson Arms, their selection of guns for sale is pretty slim but they're a good bunch of guys.

Guy B. Meredith
May 15, 2003, 06:38 PM
Lessee, do Federal Hydra Shoks qualify? You don't need a gun shop to buy them. Check out Wal-mart, Big 5 or almost any sporting goods shop.

themic
May 15, 2003, 08:40 PM
holy crap you san francisco guys sound screwed.

didn't realizeso many people on the high road are in san francisco. just noticed cause i'm gonna be there this weekend. gonna spend alot of time wandering around the city on foot. so i should avoid the 14, eh?

QuarterBoreGunner
May 16, 2003, 11:31 AM
Ah, it's not that bad. You'll probably be downtown most of the time and it looks like were going to have great weather- but bring a jacket 'cause it gets a little windy.

If you enjoyed reading about "JHPs legal in CA? $100 riding on this" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!