Better Fox poll on carry in school

PDA

hso
October 5, 2006, 02:02 PM
http://www.foxreno.com/education/10007586/detail.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Better Fox poll on carry in school" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Marion Cobretti
October 5, 2006, 02:08 PM
As a high school teacher, I'm all for it!!! I have my permit, and for most of the day I can't carry. I work in a pretty rough school with many students that are on probation or have been kicked out of other schools. I say, hells yeah!!

Crawlin
October 5, 2006, 02:08 PM
Yes: 2653
No: 3814

:cuss: Vote and fix the numbers!

mbt2001
October 5, 2006, 02:09 PM
I honestly do not understand the irrational fear of arming people. I do not know why after 9/11 we armed pilots. After a school shooting we armed Teachers. After a bus shooting we arm bus drivers...

Let's just take the cuffs off and watch society sort itself back into a place of law and order.

If I were on a plane with an AK and UZI and sawed off shot gun and a Glock with 100 pounds of c4 in my carry on; do you know what would happen? The plane would land at destination and on time.

I am not interested in blowing up planes. We need to find people who are interested in doing crazy stuff and electro shock them until they can think straight and in the mean time, we all have the freedom to do what we feel necissary to protect ourselves, family, community and country.

wuchak
October 5, 2006, 02:14 PM
If you haven't already discovered there is not even an attempt made to stop people from voting more than once. They could use a cookie to at least make it a pain to vote more than once. As it is you can keep cliking the vote button and it just keeps adding to the number.

Rev. DeadCorpse
October 5, 2006, 02:16 PM
I honestly do not understand the irrational fear of arming people.

Me neither. The times I've felt the most safe I was at the range with dozens of armed people all packing. Media hype and hoplophibic propaganda have taken their toll.

We are past due time to take it back.

Leatherneck
October 5, 2006, 02:20 PM
I just voted. Twice. Useless online poll.

TC

cloudedice
October 5, 2006, 02:31 PM
They seem to have realized the problem. It appears to be fixed now.

wuchak
October 5, 2006, 02:34 PM
Just tried again. Multiple votes, no problem.

garrett1955
October 5, 2006, 02:46 PM
yes 3152 42%
No 4392 58%

Keep voting

Don Gwinn
October 5, 2006, 02:51 PM
As a teacher, I have no problem with teachers carrying, but I also know, without a single doubt, that passing that law isn't going to stop school shooters.

A school is a school. It's a vulnerable, open place where vulnerable, high-value targets are gathered together in big mobs. That's just the way it is.

Lupinus
October 5, 2006, 03:11 PM
Don-

No it wont stop

But if there are going to be school shootings anyway I'd feel safer with my kids there knowing there is someone to throw lead back at the shooter.

Same as anywhere, allowing people to carry wont stop shootings but it wil lgive them the means to defend when it happens and the ability to minimize the damage.

magsnubby
October 5, 2006, 06:28 PM
I just voted....5 times. No problem. All 5 votes registered. Really accurate poll they have there. What a bunch of butt wipes.

The_Shootist
October 5, 2006, 07:06 PM
We're still behind :uhoh:

got cope?
October 5, 2006, 08:25 PM
45% yes
55% no

Lone_Gunman
October 5, 2006, 08:45 PM
I voted NO. I think the idea is crazy.

MTMilitiaman
October 5, 2006, 10:15 PM
47% for, 53% against.

I voted YES because I think it is crazy not to.

aguyindallas
October 5, 2006, 10:55 PM
^^^^^^^
Spot ON!

carterbeauford
October 5, 2006, 11:04 PM
I support the idea, of course.

By "better" we are referring to a poll which supports our view. A better poll would be one using a random representative sample for accuracy. This is the first thing the antis point out, especially when it is split something like 47/53.

PlayboyPenguin
October 5, 2006, 11:30 PM
I just voted....5 times. No problem. All 5 votes registered. Really accurate poll they have there. What a bunch of butt wipes
FOX puts no limit on the amount of times a single address can register a vote. They do that on purpose because they count on people that support their viewpoint 9the type that watch FOX news) being gung-ho and going and voting multiple times. It usually works in their favor.

FTF
October 5, 2006, 11:37 PM
Holy crap, we're almost dead even :D

The antis are too lazy to re-vote.

Joe7cri
October 6, 2006, 12:01 AM
I don't know why, but I submitted my 20 votes

CountGlockula
October 6, 2006, 12:13 AM
I voted "yes" a couple of times and the count didn't change.

Most of those who vote "no" are mostly non gun owners. Just my thoughts.

4v50 Gary
October 6, 2006, 01:20 AM
We're losing 49% to 51%

salvador31c
October 6, 2006, 01:52 AM
10:45pm vote results

Votes Percentage of 13456 Votes
Yes 6638 49%
No 6818 51%

TimboKhan
October 6, 2006, 05:28 AM
A school is a school. It's a vulnerable, open place where vulnerable, high-value targets are gathered together in big mobs. That's just the way it is.

Bingo. I am a teacher as well, and I am all for teachers being armed at school, at least in theory. However, there are an overabundance of logistical reasons that will likely prevent this from ever happening. Here are a few of the main ones that I can think of.

1. While recent school design has led to the creation of schools with single entrances/exits (except for emergencies), older schools can be a nightmare to secure. Older schools have large numbers of doors and windows that would permit for easy entry and escape. This, of course, makes for a tactical nightmare.

2. As Don said, the students tend to gather in mobs. The school I teach at has 1169 students, and during passing periods every last one of them is in the halls. Should a situation occur at that point, the number of students alone would make getting a well-aimed shot off impractical at best. If you factor in panic, getting bumped and jostled as students run for thier lives right past (or through) you, penetration issues, etc..., you again end up with another tactical nightmare.

3. Classrooms are, by nature, designed to keep out distractions, meaning that there aren't particularly good fields of view from a hallway looking into a classroom. As a result, if the shooter takes hostages in a classroom, he will likely be able to place himself away from any doors or windows which means that if you have to clear a room, your going to have one hell of a difficult and dangerous tactical decision ahead of you. Esentially, you are going to have to walk into a room that likely only has one entrance, not knowing where the students or the shooter is exactly until you get in there. You will be forced into a shoot/no shoot decision that requires almost instantaneous reaction, and the fact is, you have to make that decision based upon more factors than you can likely process quickly enough to keep from getting shot yourself. My point is, SWAT teams train for these situations long and hard, and they get shot regularly. How will teachers fare any better?

4. As the last point that I will make, but by no means the last point of the argument, you have to consider all of the potential problems that can happen above and beyond some sort of hostage/SHTF incident in the school? What happens if you have an AD? What happens if you have to shoot a student? What happens if a student steals your gun and kills others or him/herself? That list goes on, and on, and on. My point here is that while as CCW people, we have to think of these things enough in our daily lives and thats hard enough. The issues are magnified 100 fold inside of a school, and whereas your decision to shoot a creep in a parking lot effects you and maybe a dozen other people directly, a decision to shoot in a school affects the entire school, which in my case would be 1169 kids. The money from lawsuits alone in regards to an AD would very likely bankrupt the school. If you have to shoot a gangbanger student, your pretty much a dead man at most inner city schools.

Overall, my point is that while I am a CCW holder, I don't think it is particularly practical to carry inside a school, despite the fact that I wouldn't mind being able too. We absolutely need to develop plans to help make our students safer in the event of a wackjob coming in to our schools, but I am just not convinced that armed teachers is the correct answer. I don't think curling up and waiting for the cops is the correct response either, because the cops just can't get to a school in time to stop anything from happening usually. Not their fault, but thats just how it is. The trouble is, I have no idea what the answer is!

Zen21Tao
October 6, 2006, 07:51 AM
I voted 15 times:

Yes 7183 50%
No 7071 50%

armedandsafe
October 6, 2006, 02:41 PM
Results right now are....hold on a minute...51 to 49, our favor. :D

Pops

If you enjoyed reading about "Better Fox poll on carry in school" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!