Quick stock/styrofoam question.

PDA

Twycross
October 5, 2006, 09:25 PM
Well, I'm replacing the factory recoil pad on my Savage 11F with a Pachmayr Decelerator. It's a synthetic stock, and I've got the factory pad off, but when I look into the butt, there is a chunk of styrofoam wedged inside. Does this serve any purpose? Or rather, should I take it out or leave it be? :confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "Quick stock/styrofoam question." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
aka108
October 5, 2006, 09:31 PM
Probably stiffens it some. While Savage makes a good rifle (I own a few) the synthetic stocks are pathetic. Too flexible.

hoghunting
October 6, 2006, 01:21 AM
It might also try to keep the hollow sounding noise down.

Teufelhunden
October 6, 2006, 09:34 AM
If it seems to come out without being tied into anything, I would agree that it's probably just there for the reasons already mentioned. You could also try what I did with my shotgun: line the inside of the stock with a couple of plastic shopping bags or a large zip-lock bag, then fill the stock 1/2 way with expanding construction foam. Close or fold over the liner bag and screw your recoil pad back on. Once the foam expands, your stock will feel (and sound) more solid. The bags allow you to pull the whole thing out if you don't like it. In my case, I also dropped a few big lead fishing weights in there since my FN Police Shotgun wasn't much over 6 pounds as it came stock.

The only thing you might want to consider is that since others here have said that the Savage stocks are flexible, if you over-fill the stock, the foam might change the stock/action interface and change your zero. This is supposition on my part since I've never owned a Savage.

-Teuf

USSR
October 6, 2006, 12:17 PM
Twycross,

Most of the fiberglass stocks (including H-S Precision's) are nothing more than a fiberglass or plastic outer shell with a styrofoam core. That's why McMillan stocks are so highly sought after.

Don

DWARREN123
October 6, 2006, 03:58 PM
Take it out and get some spray insulation foam from Wal-Mart, Loew's or Home Depot and use that to fill it. Works great for sound/noise reduction and seems to make it stiffer.

Car Knocker
October 6, 2006, 05:49 PM
Low-expansion spray foam = more better.

If you enjoyed reading about "Quick stock/styrofoam question." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!