SU-16CA: Rate as SHTF Weapon for a CA-man.

PDA

Kenshin
October 5, 2006, 11:58 PM
This thread is not for comparison with other rifles as SHTF weapons, but for focusing on the SU-16CA alone.

Based on factors like availability, ammo, durability, reliability, and so forth, give it a score out of 10.

STarting....now!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "SU-16CA: Rate as SHTF Weapon for a CA-man." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
EvisceratorSrB
October 6, 2006, 12:06 AM
9!

It's light, easy to use. If I'm not mistaken is it the variant that can fire in the folded position? If not, still a 9. Easy to fire. .223 is everywhere, great caliber plenty of stopping power within a house, or within 200 m. Great utility rifle! If i was stranded on an island with savages everywhere, the SU-16CA would be one of my top favorites! Obviously I can't give it a 10 because that means that it's the hands down best SHTF rifle, which I can't say so. Takes AR mags too. What else?

Edit: Very reliable IMHO. It jams much less than my SKS. Even though it's made out of plastic, it seems better than average in durability. NOW am I missing anything else?

Avizpls
October 6, 2006, 01:08 AM
As a SHTF rifle, and not a combat rifle? 8.5

Shy of a ten because...hang on, I'll get something.

Here: Shy of a ten because...shoot, I lost it.

Ok: Shy of a ten because it can not be used as a mele weapon itself

Crud, Thats the duty of a combat weapon

El Rojo
October 6, 2006, 01:36 AM
It is a horrible SHTF weapon because you can't find one anywhere! Freaking Kel-Tec, why aren't you making any of these things?

Kevlarman
October 6, 2006, 01:43 AM
If I'm not mistaken is it the variant that can fire in the folded position?

You're thinking of the SU-16C. The CA model cannot be fired while folded. :mad:

Stiletto Null
October 6, 2006, 01:45 AM
CA has the sexy magazine-storage stock, though. (And firing an SU-16C like a pistol just seems silly.)

If I were buying an SU-16, I'd get the CA. And I'll probably get one before I get an AR-15, simply due to cost.

silverlance
October 6, 2006, 04:12 AM
i bought mine for 530+15 transfer fee + 20 shipping + 20 tax + 15 CA DROS fee. so about 600 OTD.

I spent an additional 45 for the tacticool handguard (just so in case i want it later since kel-tec doesn't seem to be too healthy right now), 35 for the levang compensator (shameless plug: i have another for sale, it's really good http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&item=180035388443&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1), 15 for the kel-tec sling, 15 for a metal sight tool, 6 for the tacticool sling stud, 8 bucks shipping.

I already have a spare red dot sight and weapon light, and five colt 20 round grandfathered magazines as well.

for about $700 total, the SU-16CA makes a VERY good shtf rifle since it's very light, accurate, and durable.

it is unlikely that i will actually hang any of this crap other than the sling on the gun, but it is nice to know that if i want to i can.

my SHTF gun ratings:

SU-16CA-9.5 (10 would be a pistol grip)
SKS paratrooper-8 (weight and less than idea sights even with williams installed)
K-31 Swiss-6 (this is a very fine weapon and is quite formidable, but very heavy)
Benelli M1S90-8 (rather light & it's a very fast and accurate shotgun, but not easy to reload quickly)
Ruger 10/22-8 (light, accurate, cheap ammo that can be stored in major amounts, plenty dangerous enough with hollow points, 30rnd magazines, but it's no one shot stopper)

a fire team of one of each of these would be uber tacticool :p

Mauserguy
October 6, 2006, 04:31 AM
Well, I don't have one myself, but I have seen many of them at the range, and I have talked to SU16-CA owners. They all love it.

They have convinced me that it is a great all-around gun. It is sleek, reasonably accurate, and folds up well.

My concern, though, with this rifle is that it is all plastic and alluminum. I really question it's durability outside of a controlled range. I would give it a low score if it wasn't collapsable. Since it folds, I will give it a 7.
Mauserguy

If you enjoyed reading about "SU-16CA: Rate as SHTF Weapon for a CA-man." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!