What is our motto?

PDA

PATH
January 5, 2003, 03:07 AM
Every group has a motto if it wants to be great. What do you suggest the motto of THR be?

If you enjoyed reading about "What is our motto?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dave
January 5, 2003, 03:16 AM
Same as the three stooges, Eat, Drink, and Beat Larry.

Blackhawk
January 5, 2003, 04:25 AM
The Beatles were a great group. What was their motto?

WonderNine
January 5, 2003, 04:28 AM
"The Right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Something like that.

Schuey2002
January 5, 2003, 04:38 AM
Welcome to the land of free roamin',sniperchick chasin',elephant skin wearin',tactical lovin' Skunks! :D

chaim
January 5, 2003, 04:39 AM
Why not the same as TFL? Molon Labe

Schuey2002
January 5, 2003, 04:44 AM
Chaim is right! ... It should be Molon Labe ! :)

sm
January 5, 2003, 04:51 AM
Molon Labe

Keep The High Road

ed dixon
January 5, 2003, 05:01 AM
"Ohhh, :) you take the high road and... we'll take it back!" :fire:

Nah, of course, Molon Labe.

sm
January 5, 2003, 05:13 AM
Actually thinking of Rich's challenge. Which was what his intentions were and TFL 's reflection proved that his Social Experiment worked. Keeping the High Road--not becoming less, but a better band of persons to carry on and teach.

Kinda the reason why Molon Labe became so important in the first place.

IMO

Marshall
January 5, 2003, 05:47 AM
Heck, get redneck about it!

"Yep, My Cold Dead Fingers"

You would be surprised how many of those you still see in the south.

I agree, Molon Labe!

sasnofear
January 5, 2003, 06:48 AM
its a different forum , needs a different motto

dave
January 5, 2003, 06:54 AM
All joking aside, while I aslo like the "molon labe" moto, perhaps it should be something a bit less "confrontational".

Wait a minute now, I'm not saying we should give the image of a group of folks willing to "roll over" in reguards to our 2nd Admendment rights. It's just that if we want to make our views known to others, and we want those others to take us seriously, then perhaps we should be willing to seen as something other than a bunch of angry gun owners yelling "Come and Get Them!". If we truely wish to have a dialogue with others, the purpose of which is to open the minds of those who don't understand our views and to perhaps change the minds of those opposed to us, I don't think a moto that can be taken as an implied threat will serve that purpose. We all know that some on the other side will use anything they can against us.

While we will never be able to sway the opinions of some people out there, there are those that will listen if we can make a well reasoned, logical, and factual presentation of our views. Those people may not, at first, be comfortable being thought of as a member of a group standing behind that "line in the sand" and telling those on the other side to "come and get them". We need to be able to recruit those who aren't quite sure why they should be on our side yet. And yes, we do need them.

Having said that, I agree with "Molon Labe" and all it implies. And I'm ready to prove it, if need be. I'm just not sure that the people we would like to see take a stand with us are, at this point in their "opinon forming", ready to do the same. It, simply put, may make some others whom we could use on our side, see us as the "gun nuts" the other side makes us out to be. We don't need to help them do it.

Nanook
January 5, 2003, 08:53 AM
Borrow the line from Heinlein

An armed society is a polite society.

Most here are armed and most here are polite, close enough.

perry
January 5, 2003, 09:05 AM
"Bad to the bone"

JohnBT
January 5, 2003, 12:05 PM
I'm going to take some time to think about this.

The only thing that comes to mind, not having finished my morning coffee, is "Ask me about my gun."

It is friendly and invites discussion.

Okay, back to the coffee and the duck hunting show on tv.

John

matis
January 5, 2003, 12:28 PM
I like Molon Labe, too. But actually, doesn't our name contain our motto? :confused:

Hk Paul
January 5, 2003, 12:44 PM
Im for Molon Labe all the way.

Were are we going to put it? how about right under the logo in italics.

Cougar
January 5, 2003, 12:51 PM
I went to our Northern Ohio TFL farewell shoot wearing my TFL/Molon Labe shirt and hat. I had at least three other shooters ask me what the significance was to Molon Labe. I tried to explain the historical meaning and that it was the new battle cry of our 2nd Amendment fight. I got a couple 'thumbs up' for that explanation.

I think that we should continue to carry on in the spirit of TFL and adopt the 'Molon Labe' as our battle cry.

dave
January 5, 2003, 01:02 PM
Thought about it for a while. Why don't we use the "sheepdog" approach? Something along those lines would be quickly understood by one who needed to. A few examples below, I'm sure others could come up with something better.

"Sheepdog(s) (to) (of) the world"

"Sheepdogs, watching over the flock"

"Sheepdogs, (always) (ever) alert for wolves"

"Sheepdogs vs the wolves"

"Sheepdog(s), man's best friend(s)"

Well, you get the idea. I'm sure there are many more. SHEEPDOG, I think it kind of sums most of us up.

larry_minn
January 5, 2003, 01:10 PM
dave posted
" Same as the three stooges, Eat, Drink, and Beat Larry" Just remember Larry is likely to fight back with vigor. :)
Also I was thinking many folks do NOT know what Molon Labe means/stands for.
Who has a real good explanation of situation. I know the story but have forgotten the spacifics.

riverdog
January 5, 2003, 01:27 PM
At the battle of Thermopylae Xerxes of Persia demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas, King of Sparta, told Xerxes "molon labe", or "come and get them."
The 300 Spartans present then proceeded over the next 3 days to kill 20,000 Persians while fighting to the last man. They saved Greece.

sm
January 5, 2003, 01:29 PM
From TFL : http://www.thefiringline.com/Misc/library/TFL_Primer.htm

MWLWN LABE!

Molon labe

(mo-lone lah-veh)

Two little words. With these two words, two concepts were verbalized that have lived for nearly two and a half Millennia. They signify and characterize both the heart of the Warrior, and the indomitable spirit of mankind. From the ancient Greek, they are the reply of the Spartan General-King Leonidas to Xerxes, the Persian Emperor who came with 600,000 of the fiercest fighting troops in the world to conquer and invade little Greece, then the center and birthplace of civilization as we know it. When Xerxes offered to spare the lives of Leonidas, his 300 personal bodyguards and a handful of Thebans and others who volunteered to defend their country, if they would lay down their arms, Leonidas shouted these two words back.
Molon Labe! (mo-lone lah-veh)

They mean, “Come and get them!” They live on today as the most notable quote in military history. And so began the classic example of courage and valor in its dismissal of overwhelming superiority of numbers, wherein the heart and spirit of brave men overcame insuperable odds. Today, there lies a plaque dedicated to these heroes all at the site. It reads: “Go tell the Spartans, travelers passing by, that here, obedient to their laws we lie.”

We have adopted this defiant utterance as a battle cry in our war against oppression because it says so clearly and simply towards those who would take our arms.

It signifies our determination to not strike the first blow, but also to not stand mute and allow our loved ones, and all that we believe in and stand for, to be trampled by men who would deprive us of our God-given – or natural, if you will – rights to suit their own ends.

Return to the Home Page of the HCI Website Battle

sm
January 5, 2003, 01:35 PM
quote:
"It signifies our determination to not strike the first blow, but also to not stand mute and allow our loved ones, and all that we believe in and stand for, to be trampled by men who would deprive us of our God-given – or natural, if you will – rights to suit their own ends."

Sounds like taking the High Road . Thats why I prefer Molon Labe, re-enforces our purpose of this forum. Just think its a good choice.

Signifies, and goes hand in hand.

Diesle
January 5, 2003, 02:30 PM
How about 'Pinko Power!'...?

Oh, wait, I thought this was that other board....

Ill throw one out there. Not nessisarily the exact words, but the thought....

"I intend to protect my rights"

Is there a more elegant way to say that?

Diesle

riverdog
January 5, 2003, 02:46 PM
If we really need a motto --
The roots of THR are in TFL and I see nothing wrong with continuing to use Molon Labe as a motto -- if we really need one.

GhostShooter
January 5, 2003, 09:49 PM
How about "Knowledge, Justice, and Freedom"

http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/2M16.gif

grampster
January 5, 2003, 09:53 PM
"Don't Tread on Me" Molon Labe.

Owen
January 5, 2003, 11:12 PM
why not just "Polite Society"

hansolo
January 5, 2003, 11:26 PM
MOLTON LAVA

Gewehr98
January 5, 2003, 11:47 PM
"Unwitting participants and survivors of a large social experiment.":scrutiny:

Skunkabilly
January 6, 2003, 12:14 AM
"What part of 'shall not be infringed' don't you understand?"

ahenry
January 6, 2003, 12:27 AM
nevermind

J.Gillespie
January 6, 2003, 12:31 AM
Another vote for " Molon Labe".

What those words say and mean is what we all stand for everyday as gun owners, americans, human beings defending them selves and families and friends.

Tamara
January 6, 2003, 12:48 AM
"Send more guns." :D

Fair 'n Square
January 6, 2003, 01:06 AM
I posted the Greek symbols for Molon Labe in my office at work. Many wondered what they signified, and it gave me an opportunity to explain it in the context of our obligation to safeguard our rights today.

"Molon Labe!"

denfoote
January 6, 2003, 01:17 AM
Shoot to stop!!!

Lancel
January 6, 2003, 01:39 AM
I agree with
sasnofear - different forum, different motto
and
matis - the forum's name is the motto.

"Take The High Road" could invite as much conversation as "Molon Labe Too" if we put in greek letters or use a gaelic dialect. Or simply leave it as is and "Take the High Road":)

Seeker
January 6, 2003, 02:38 AM
Shoot to stop!!! and stop to shoot!:D

Really though, I am partial to Molon Labe. "Don't Tread On Me!" isn't a bad second.

mack
January 6, 2003, 02:41 AM
I find it interesting that people often take the statements

Molon Labe

and

From My Cold Dead Hand

to be confrontational, or even threatening or aggressive - as they are not that at all - they are a statements that simply mean that one will not allow oneself to be violated and that the person who intends to initiate the confrontation needs to be willing to kill the person he would violate. They are telling would be aggressors that they will have to initiate lethal violence if they want to have their way. Sheep do always seem to misunderstand because of course they don't believe in violence, as they just like to pass laws and then leave the enforcement to the government officers - out of sight out of mind. Kind of like people who think hunting is horrific and barbaric, but think nothing of going to the store or local resturant to buy pre-packaged or pre-cooked meat.

faustulus
January 6, 2003, 02:51 AM
The Beatles were a great group. What was their motto?

"all you need is love"

chaim
January 6, 2003, 03:02 AM
You know, on further thought I figured, why do we need only one motto? Molon Labe wasn't official at TFL (I don't think) it just kinda got adopted by just about everyone. So unofficially why not:
-"the high road" or "take the high road"
-"A Polite Society" (most people would know what phrase that refers to and those who don't would figure it out fast)
-"Molon Labe"
-and of course, Tamara's suggestion "Send more guns!":D

eotp
January 6, 2003, 03:50 AM
I liked WonderNine's suggestion:

"The Right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Lennyjoe
January 6, 2003, 06:26 AM
"E Pluribus Unum" Of many, One

Your Freedom to speak, My Freedom to defend!

HeadCleaver
January 6, 2003, 11:20 AM
This is my rifle, this is my gun! This is for killing, this is for fun! ;)

NEon
January 6, 2003, 11:43 AM
Molon Labe it is. After researching the Greek use of it, it seems apporpriate.

gburner
January 6, 2003, 12:24 PM
...exhale and squeeze.

...home on the range.

...molon labe

...don't tread on me

...without the second, there will be no first.

...truth will out.

...granted by God, exercised by Man.

...defending the right to defend yourself.

Moondancer
January 6, 2003, 12:50 PM
I think I'm impressed by "Without the 2nd there can be no 1st." And I would use the digits as opposed to words to emphasize the amendments.

Nathaniel Firethorn
January 6, 2003, 01:34 PM
Same as the three stooges, Eat, Drink, and Beat Larry.http://www.wildestwesterns.com/images/3-Stooges.JPG
"No wonder da water don't woik! Da pipes is clogged up wit' ammo!"

- pdmoderator

peteinct
January 6, 2003, 01:37 PM
LIVE FREE OR DIE

Is life so dear or peace so sweet to be bought at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take but as for me Give me Liberty or give me Death!

patrick henry
pete

Carlos Cabeza
January 6, 2003, 04:54 PM
JUST DID IT !!!!! No,
Thats my skydiving group's motto........

LIVE FREE OR DIE or EXHALE and SQUEEZE!

biere
January 6, 2003, 06:54 PM
Live to exercise your rights, exercise your rights to live.

bad_dad_brad
January 6, 2003, 08:50 PM
"Don't Tread on Me"

Just leave me alone please.

OF
January 6, 2003, 09:01 PM
GUNS: Because some people just need shooting.

I want that on a bumpersticker. :)

- Gabe

Rebeldon
January 6, 2003, 09:20 PM
Fight crime...shoot back!

G-Raptor
January 6, 2003, 11:53 PM
"Aim small - miss small"

"Freedom First" - all else is secondary. :cool:

(But I can live with Molon Labe. :D )

hso
January 7, 2003, 12:46 AM
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

Life balances between freedom and safety, but too often one is bought with coin from the other making us poor in both.

gburner
January 7, 2003, 11:15 AM
'Windage and Elevation'

'Guns 'R' us'

Toiling in Liberty's Garden

The Front Line in Homeland Defense

The Buckshot Stops Here

KMKeller
January 7, 2003, 11:21 AM
Same as the three stooges, Eat, Drink, and Beat Larry.

Correia is going to have HUGE issues with this...

bronco61
January 7, 2003, 02:51 PM
Molon Labe

Nothing has changed except the server in which we enter our pixels. We've already found a motto which fits us, we're still the same people with the same mission.

Besides, Molon Labe is/was actually starting to gain recognition. Why start all over again? Sensless

bogie
January 7, 2003, 03:18 PM
Meow.

ReadyontheRight
January 7, 2003, 04:35 PM
Another vote for Molon Labe -- It's a message that needs to get out beyond TFL and THR.

igor
January 7, 2003, 06:10 PM
How about "Today we carve out our own omens"? Or "O tempora, o mores"? Or maybe "YOU! Off my planet!".

Seriously, Molon Labe sums it up nicely. Why dumb the message down?

BlackArrow
January 7, 2003, 11:41 PM
How about "Molon Labe if you dare or dare you to Molon Labe". I have two reactions to my hats, one I tell them what their about. Two, if the look like MMM'ers I tell them, you don't want to know but rest easy in knowing we're here"! Amazing responses! Let's keep Molon Labe but let's see if we can add something to it.
"Come and get them":
If yo momma will let you,
If you can get past Spike (my killer poodle),
Tomorrow,
When you have reinforcements,
If you have any testicals,
If you're not afraid I won't take your's
When you have a search warrent, and the previous statement!
A day after hell freezes over,
Collect them in hell, see you there first,
you'll need a back-hoe because it will be in my coffin,
if you bring;
a shrubbery,
candy,
flowers,
you get the picture!
Realistically boys and girls, the divide is so wide between what they have and what we have that we no longer have the ability to take back our corrupt government. When we say "Molon Labe" we are in effect pledging our LIVES, fortunes etc. With each passing day it becomes more of a suicide mission. There are at least 20,000 of us who recognize this county is not what it was suppose to be. Strangely enough that is the same number the "free state" group is looking for. They want to take over a small state by having the 20,000 elected to various positions in a state, then file to succeed from the Union and telling Washington they don't need their money and they won't be sending any to them!:neener: (we need a fiendishly-clever smiley!

geekWithA.45
January 8, 2003, 02:11 AM
Although my new favorite (in)famous last words are:

"The Jews Have Weapons! The Jews have..."

I'm not sure if that's an authentic quote though. I heard it was the last utterance of the first SS trooper to fall during the Ghetto Uprising.

TexasVet
January 8, 2003, 03:41 AM
I guess that lets out the Texas translation of Molon Labe on the TexasGonzales flag, just pure "come and take it".
See it here: http://www.galleryoftherepublic.com/pages/txflags/gonzales.html

If you enjoyed reading about "What is our motto?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!