Opinions on Mossberg 500/590

PDA

Protein anchor
October 6, 2006, 11:18 AM
I am new! I had a Mossberg 590 SP...parkerized, speed stock, heat shield...a few years ago, loved it. Sold it when I moved to MA. Now, I have a renewed interest (due to time) and am looking for your opinions on what shotgun to purchase. I am really leaning towards gettting another 590 SP but am looking for your opinions as well. Thanks in advance, :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinions on Mossberg 500/590" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
S&W620
October 6, 2006, 02:01 PM
First and foremost, welcome.

In response to your question, the 590 is a great shotgun as is a Remington 870. If you are familiar with the 590 and you like it, get another. Best of luck and welcome to THR.

DaleCooper51
October 6, 2006, 03:31 PM
What are you planning on doing with your shotgun?

Will this be a clays gun? home defense? small game hunting? deer hunting? bird hunting? etc....

A little more information about what the intended use will allow others to offer better advice which will lead to you being happier in the long run.

Protein anchor
October 6, 2006, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the welcome!

I plan to use it for defense, maybe clay... if invited, hunting. Mainly for fun at the range though. Hope this help, thanks again, :)

DaleCooper51
October 6, 2006, 05:15 PM
I would take a look at the 500 security combo. It retails from mossberg for about $350 and comes with a twin bead 28" vent rib accu-choke barrel and a second cyl bore 18.5" barrel. That is retail and I'm sure that it can be found much cheaper with a little bit of looking around. This would also leave some money for range fees and ammo allowing you to practice more and have fun with it.

swampgator
October 7, 2006, 12:50 AM
First thing read all the Mossy vs Remington threads. On second thought go out and pattern several types of buckshot!

The 500 series is a great shotgun and capable of many years/rounds of service. Don't be afraid to shoot it. But shoot it a lot before spending any cash on upgrades. Find out what it's lacking for you. Things like if it isn't patterning does it need barrel work or can you just change ammo.

Anyway have fun with it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinions on Mossberg 500/590" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!