Remington Semiauto Recoil

PDA

ArmedBear
October 6, 2006, 07:04 PM
Anyone have a 740, 742, 7400, 750?

Is the recoil largely absorbed by the action, like it is by the similar-looking 1100?

Or does the thing kick like you'd expect from the caliber in question?

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington Semiauto Recoil" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Onmilo
October 7, 2006, 10:47 AM
Yes, the recoil forces are absorbed in a very similar fashion to the Model 1100This was one of the selling points to the Model 742 rifles when they were first advertised.

CornCod
October 7, 2006, 11:53 AM
Is it true that those Remingtons don't stand up to prolonged shooting and are just hunting guns; not the kind of piece you can put a hundred rounds through five or six times a year. I have heard this bruited about. Is this true?

Art Eatman
October 7, 2006, 12:39 PM
My 742K '06 seems to recoil about like my Garand, and both seem a bit less than my bolt-action '06. Benchrest comparison.

As to prolonged fire, I'd imagine the tighter fit of the parts in the 742 would crud up sooner than a Garand. But, believe me, a Garand will crud up to where a squirt of a thin gun oil is needed to get back in action. That showed up for real in Basic Training in 1954. I had done a good bit of Garand shooting before I was drafted and was already a squirter, and the other guys didn't know the trick. The Field First Sgt. and I shot up the remainder of the ammo from the rest of the platoon whose rifles were out of action. A fun way to get Brownie Points. :)

Art

Jackal
October 7, 2006, 01:30 PM
My 740 30'06 recoils comparably to my Yugo SKS. In other words, not much and thats with a steel buttplate.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington Semiauto Recoil" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!