Romanian 7.62x54, 1953. how corrosive?

PDA

Hoppy590
October 6, 2006, 11:57 PM
Hey guys how corrosive is romanian 7.62 x 54 circa 1953.

what do you suggest for proper cleaning?

If you enjoyed reading about "Romanian 7.62x54, 1953. how corrosive?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
grimjaw
October 6, 2006, 11:59 PM
As corrosive as any of the others. I'd suggest the same steps you'd clean after any other corrosive ammo. Hot water or Windex, followed by the normal cleaning routine (Hoppes, gun oil, etc).

jm

knuckles
October 7, 2006, 12:00 AM
I am shooting something like that. I just put Windex down the bore and let it sit for a few minutes while I clean up the rest of the gun. Then I dry patch, wet patch with oil/solvent, let sit some more, dry patch until I get sick of it, then lightly wet patch for storage. TacticalNinja has a good post for cleaning Nagants, I'll try and find it...

EDIT: I mean, I don't know if you're shooting a Nagant but the clean up should be roughly the same...

Hoppy590
October 7, 2006, 01:34 AM
it is a nagant. a 1942 m91/30 Izhevsk. havnt fired it yet, and was concerned about the corrosion factor.

another quick question. 440 rds for 55$ a good deal ( keep in mind im in MA and cant get most cool mail order stuff)

rangerruck
October 7, 2006, 03:56 AM
hotwater, and a little windex.

Prince Yamato
October 7, 2006, 04:35 AM
I think the term corrosive is deceptive. People make it sound like you're shooting some sort instant bore dissolving acid down your barrel. Most weapons before 1960 used some sort of corrosive ammo. Military weapons were not cleaned regularly and survived. While I'm not suggesting that you NEVER clean your gun. If you leave for like a day or two it's not like the next day, the barrel will be melted away. It's best to clean it right after you shoot, but if you can't, your weapon will still be intact for you to clean it the next day. The problems arise when you shoot it, don't clean it for months, and store it in a humid area.

Cosmoline
October 7, 2006, 04:39 AM
I spray some M-Pro cleaner down the bore and on the bolt face after using it. Mind, it corrosive primers WILL rust your bore real good. Wait a week and you'll know it.

knuckles
October 7, 2006, 09:58 AM
another quick question. 440 rds for 55$ a good deal

I am not sure if you can this:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Czech_7.62x54R_Light_Ball.html

But if you can, I highly recommend it...

Hoppy590
October 7, 2006, 03:09 PM
I am not sure if you can this:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/C...ight_Ball.html

But if you can, I highly recommend it...

nope. im not 21, and

-MASSACHUSETTS CUSTOMERS: No sales of ammunition or magazines. No high capacity magazine sales to anyone or dealer in MA.

i may forward some of the internet deals to a friend who lives just over the border of MA ;)

thanks for the cleaning advice guys. im not afraid the barrel will melt down like toxic avengers, but just wondering the best means to clean, windex seems to be the norm

atomchaser
October 7, 2006, 05:36 PM
No big deal. I just take a small bottle of diluted detergent/ammonia mix ( use the Parson's stuff from the grocery store) to the range with me. When I'm done shooting the rifle and it's still hot, I squirt some down the barrel and across the bolt face. Before I leave the range for the day, I run a dry patch followed by a patch with clp on it. I clean it again sometime within the next week. Haven't had any problems.

If you enjoyed reading about "Romanian 7.62x54, 1953. how corrosive?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!