CZ quality?

PDA

xd45gaper
October 7, 2006, 01:24 AM
how is the quailty of CZ firearms? i was looking at there webisite tonite and was wondering what the quality was. ive always thought they made/imported cheap firearms for some reason(mostly knock offs)

but from what ive seen they look pretty solid and im thinking about looking into the CZ 550 FS in 6.5X55 for my next gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "CZ quality?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dm1333
October 7, 2006, 01:32 AM
Take a look at a CZ. High quality all the way. I really want a 527 just because of how nice it looked.

S&W620
October 7, 2006, 01:34 AM
CZ's are fine weapons. Dollar for dollar they are hard to beat. I had a CZ 85 9mm and it was outstanding. The only reason I got rid of it was so I could buy my G19. I regret not waiting a bit longer and keeping the CZ, it was a GREAT pistol.

Il Duca
October 7, 2006, 01:40 AM
The quality of their pistols is phenominal for the price. Sometimes you can see a toolmark here or there but overall very good. Reliable, accurate, rugged, ergonomically pleasing, etc, etc, etc.

Quality of their rifles is on par with their pistols, with fit and finish usually a little nicer. Rugged, accurate too. They also come with single set triggers, a very nice feature. I don't know off hand of another manufacturer that has it as a standard feature. Sadly, I do not own one. I have shot some on occasion though. Someday...

In other words, go for it.

cbsbyte
October 7, 2006, 01:41 AM
CZ is considered by many to be a manufacture that makes quality firearms for an afforadble price. I would consider them to be like a European Ruger company. At onetime they where controlled by the State under the communist regime but have taken well to the free market. They are known for their quality Mauser military rifles from before WWII. I should mention that CZ seperated, after the communist fall, into two companies from different regions of the Czech republic. Both companies make pistols, thout the The CZ sold in the US is the largest and most well respected company.

xd45gaper
October 7, 2006, 01:52 AM
ive never seen one in a gunstore before (ive never really looked though either) ill have to keep an eye out now to check them out.

GregGry
October 7, 2006, 01:57 AM
Around here you can find them in most gun stores :). I am going to be buying a cz 75sp01 and a 97 b next week. They are quality firearms, and fit me well.

RNB65
October 7, 2006, 01:59 AM
CZ guns are excellent. The only thing "knock off" about them is that their rifles use a hundred year old copy of the Mauser bolt action design and thier pistols use a hundred year old version of the Browning locking system. Being made in a eastern European factory, the fit and finish isn't quite as smooth as the more expensive American and German autoloaders. But reliability is first rate.

Actually, Tanfoglio of Italy makes CZ 75 knock-offs that are sold under the Tanfoglio names and the names of other importers. They're also very good guns.

AJAX22
October 7, 2006, 03:09 AM
I love my pair of 52's I've thought of getting the compact 9mm, but the jurry is still out on which wonder 9 fits my hand...

You won't be disapointed, I've never even heard of anyone getting a lemon.

nico
October 7, 2006, 03:13 AM
Baby Eagles and Witness pistols are also knock-offs of the CZ-75. I have a 75SA and it's a great gun. Like others have said, it has a few more burrs on the inside of the frame than, say, a kimber, but none of it affects the function (the inside of the dustcover is a little unfinished).

Given the choice, I'd take my 75SA over my dad's S&W 910 any day. The CZ feels better in my hand, has lighter felt recoil, and is more accurate in my hands. They're at least on par with all the other major handgun manufacturers. I'd recommend trying a bunch if you can and buying the one you like/that fits you best.

Cueball
October 7, 2006, 03:29 AM
I have a CZ and I love it. The accuracy is GREAT and I believe it is one of the best values out there as far as bang for the buck.

rangerruck
October 7, 2006, 03:45 AM
Cz, especially among the rimfire shooters, both recreational and competitive, will tell you to a person, that for the money, cz is not only super accurate, but their fit and finish is top drawer. you get more from your money's worth from them.
I have two cz rifles, and two 75 pistols, and they are simply worth more than the money you pay for them. Also they do a lot of hand rubbing , hand finishing on their stocks, and usually you will get an outstanding looking piece of wood. And the results? check mine with an old ciryllic measurements , brought over from czech a few years ago , cz 527 in 223: 100 meters.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/pmullineaux/czpics008.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/pmullineaux/czpics007.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/pmullineaux/53557d05.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/pmullineaux/czpics031.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/pmullineaux/czpics016.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/pmullineaux/czpics002.jpg
that mark by the black hills, is a pen mark, not a bullet hole. As you can see, with the black hills, and they winny 45's , it is a one hole punch.

mrrick
October 7, 2006, 04:48 AM
I have 2 rifles and apistol, great weapons, excellent quality, reasonable price.

buttrap
October 7, 2006, 05:16 AM
From what I have seen the CZ guns are about as close to pre war craftsmen quality short of a very costly made in the USA custom gun. I have Colts that look a lot more ugly on the inside than my CZ guns

CypherNinja
October 7, 2006, 05:28 AM
I've got a stainless CZ-75 and wouldn't trade it for anything. TOTALLY worth every penny. The ergonomics are awesome for me, as well. Every gun I've ever picked up since hasn't felt as good in my hand.

Cliff47
October 7, 2006, 05:52 AM
The CZ 75/85 series of pistols were designed primarily as an export commodity, since the Soviet Block used the 9 m/m Makarov or the Tokarev chambering (primarily on the CZ 52). It's nice to know that the Old World craftsmanship is still around, and available at a reasonable price.

The design is robust (think industrial strength), borrows from several previous designs (Browning lockup lugs, the SIG 210 inverted rails with the slide riding inside the frame). Insanely accurate, smashing ergonomics, and if you really get picky, you can use the holsters designed for the Beretta 92/94 pistols.

The only downside I can come up with is the cost of extra magazines, hence, I pick them up whenever I can and stockpile them. The price used to be $50+ per for the hi-cap (15 round), but that is now at $34 from CZ-USA.

Of the CZs that I own, I can find tool marks, but they are not where they are going to cause you any problems.

Be warned, CZitis is infectious, you may end up owning multiple examples of the line. Shoot safely and enjoy.

Roadkill
October 7, 2006, 10:13 AM
Excellent guns. I just traded into a CZ75 Compct D and love it. Ran 100 rounds of my reloads through it first time out and it was flawless. Wish I could say that anout several American made guns I've had out the first time.

rk

bender
October 7, 2006, 11:05 AM
yeah, I also used to think CZs were cheap foreign junk... until I became a member of THR and found out they were popular, high quality guns.

I bought my son a CZ Scout .22 for xmas, and I'm planning to get myself a CZ Model 527 rifle.

Also, the newest issue of Gun Tests (October 2006) gave the CZ 75 a Best Buy in their "high-capacity 9s" comparo...

PAshooter
October 7, 2006, 11:31 AM
I don't own any of their rifles, but do have four CZ pistols (82, 83, 85B, & 97B) and as others have stated their quality is excellent. For the money the value is outstanding.

Also as stated above you'll see the occasional tool mark, but only on the inside where it doesn't show or affect function. Fit, finish, and function-wise all four of my pistols are flawless.

The only one I'd even consider parting with is the 97, and the reason has nothing to do with the quality of the piece. It's a BIG hand cannon and I have rather smallish hands. Double action trigger reach is a tad to long for me. But of course the option to carry cocked and locked means even the first shot can be fired single action, which fits me just fine.

Nah - on second thought I wouldn't trade any of my CZs :D

I'm sure their rifles are made with the same care and craftsmanship as their pistols - if so, they're a great bargain as well.

hso
October 7, 2006, 11:35 AM
Excellent quality and outstanding value.

One gunsmith commented that an equivalent gun made in the USA wold cost 3 times the price of a CZ.

Firethorn
October 7, 2006, 11:51 AM
I've fed thousands of rounds through my CZ75BD and never had a problem. It's also my carry gun.

I've only ever had it not feed properly twice.

The first was a second hand magazine, turned out the follower was bad. Not the gun's fault.

The second was shooting blazer, outside, at -30/35 (yes, I'm dedicated). I was getting FTE/FTFs. I figured that the cold reduced pressure in the cheap ammunition enough that it wasn't generating enough pressure to cycle the gun properly. I switched to some mid-level handloads and finished my range visit without further problems.

Uncle Alvah
October 7, 2006, 11:57 AM
I'd put my 97b up against any other .45 out there, including Kimber:barf: or SA.
The CZ comes from the factory with a copy of the actual test target fired at the factory. That says a lot right there.

bruss01
October 7, 2006, 12:01 PM
We have a CZ 20 gauge semi-auto which is a fine firearm, beautiful and reliable. I just this year purchased 2 CZ handguns. I like them, they seem very sturdy and I like the ergs, though the 97b is truly a handful. I have a problem with my 75 spitting brass rearward, but it's going in for an action job and I'll have that tended to at that time. I think it's a perfect gun to tweak and tune for IDPA (whole reason I got it). I got the 97b because I wanted a 10 round .45 and heard good things about it. It's a bit finicky about feeding some HP's but it's also going for an action job so I'll have that fixed too. Really like the heavy SOLID feel of these handguns, nothing loose or jiggly about them in any way. Not the finest finish internally, but aside from the hp feeding issue in the 97 (not a prob with fmj) dead solid reliable as well.

The other thing to like about the 75b is that you can get a .22 coversion made by CZ and practice with rimfire for cheap. Another thing to recommend it as an IDPA gun.

armoredman
October 7, 2006, 12:04 PM
Sheesh, what can I add, except my wife and I have 4 CZ pistols, and we love them...
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/choiceschoices.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/PICT0052.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/PCRPO13.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/Czechmother.jpg

Harry Paget Flashman
October 7, 2006, 12:12 PM
For price and quality you can't go wrong with a CZ. Acquiring CZ's is cheaper than SIG's and almost as satisfying.

CZ 27
CZ 50
CZ 52
CZ 70
CZ 75B
CZ 82
CZ 83

Byron Quick
October 7, 2006, 12:15 PM
I've two CZ rifles-a 550FS in .308 and the CZ 452 Lux. Also own a BRNO 602ZKK in .458 Win Mag which is almost identical to the CZ 550 Safari Magnum.

I'll put them up against rifles costing much more with confidence.

The only CZ pistol I've shot is the C&R CZ52. Just don't dry fire this pistol for it will break the firing pin.

MinScout
October 7, 2006, 12:20 PM
I have a CZ 527 in 7.62x39. Dollar for dollar, I think it's the best rifle I own. It has it all over my beloved lever actions in terms of accuracy and shootability. Love that set trigger, especially when sighting in.

czdavid
October 7, 2006, 12:20 PM
I bought a CZ 40P about 2 years ago. I have never had an issue with it. It is extremely accurate, well built (but not "over-built"), and ergonomically correct for me. I don't forsee myself getting rid of this one. If you can, try and borrow/rent a CZ. I think you will really like it.

coinshooter
October 7, 2006, 01:06 PM
I have own a couple in the past then about a month ago seen they had the CZ75 IN STAINLESS its the pistol I was always hopein they would build so now I have the stainless and a 513 entry level bolt 22 that I bought like new last week for $150 now the next one will be a cz with a light rail

Werewolf
October 7, 2006, 02:31 PM
I own a CZ-550 in .308, a CZ-75B 9mm and a CZ-75B SA .40 S&W. All are quality built and accurate weapons.

To be fair though my SA's trigger failed after about a 1000 rounds - it jammed up for some reason. I function check my carry piece every Friday evening and at that time the SA was my carry piece. It worked perfect one Friday but the next - well - the trigger she no pull. Scared the crap out of me. What if I'd needed it. (I will not ever again use the SA as my carry piece). Since I had the plastic trigger replaced with a steel one no problems what so ever and the SA is my IPSC gun.

I won't say that the 75's are more accurate than my SIGs but I will state that I can fire them more accurately than my SIGs. At 25 yards I can fire the 75's into a 4" to 5" circle from a standing position. With my SIGs I'm lucky if I can keep 'em all on a paper plate. Does that mean the CZ's are more accurate inherently than the SIGs - nah... It just means the ergonomics of the CZ's fit me better than the ergonomics of the SIG and I think that may be true for many - especially those with small hands or shorter fingers.

As for reliability - CZ pistols aren't a Glock or a SIG but they're pretty darn close.

CZ pistols are both easy to maintain and to clean.

CZ pistols in my opinion are a much better value than any other pistol on the market - they're not the best (close though) but at the price they kick the rear end of every other manufacturer out there for accuracy, reliability and maintainability.

My CZ-550 has functioned flawlessly. Like most bolt action rifles it is easy to maintain and clean. I'd like to speak to its accuracy but since the only ammo I've ever fired out of it is mil-surp I cannot. One of these days I'm gonna fire some match grade .308 out of it and see exactly what it is capable of from a rest.

highlander 5
October 7, 2006, 02:45 PM
I seem to remember seeing a blurb in the American Rifleman that the CZ rifles are made by Montana Rifle out of Kalispel,Mont
Didn't the late Col. Cooper call the CZ75 the greateast pistol design of all"
after all he did copy it for the Bren Ten

PAshooter
October 7, 2006, 02:50 PM
IIRC Cooper favored the CZ75 second only to the 1911... his only complaint was its "wimpy" caliber (do I detect a 9 vs. .45 debate? ;) )

toivo
October 7, 2006, 07:29 PM
I seem to remember seeing a blurb in the American Rifleman that the CZ rifles are made by Montana Rifle out of Kalispel,Mont
I don't think so--at least not the rimfires. My 452 Special is stamped CZ USA, KANSAS CITY KS on one side of the receiver and MADE IN CZECH REPUBLIC on the other. Maybe Montana Rifle is doing some customized ones?

dot 43
October 7, 2006, 08:23 PM
I know a few years back, they were selling some rifles made in the U.S. There was something about them which failed to excite me (was it WSM calibers? push feed? that "American" stock?) so I never paid much attention to them. I can't find them on the website anymore though.

I just wish they still imported models with that awesome lux stock.

As for the handguns, there are none better there, either. Let me be clear that I can name a few as good, and generally they're who you think they are, but none better.

xd45gaper
October 7, 2006, 08:46 PM
dang all this talk about how good the pistols are makes me want to buy a pistol also! do they make a .45?

daysleeprx
October 7, 2006, 09:03 PM
Yep, the CZ 97B is a .45

pkm
October 7, 2006, 09:20 PM

CZ 75 SP 01

Reliability excellent, ergonomics superb, trigger action- long like glock 17.
Used two 75B before this SP01. Older ones had less tight tolerances.
This newer sp01 is really nicely finished. Reliable still affordable.
Accuracy is good. Mine has a bit under 8cm at 25meters.. or for your pleasure 3inches at 25 yards ;)
I mostly use it for practical reservist shooting here in Finland.

dont_matr
October 8, 2006, 01:38 AM
I remember first reading about CZs in the pistol section of an old 80's book on special forces when I was in my teens. I was puzzled as to why they included the CZ 75 along with pistols such as the P7, 1911, P-226, Beretta 92, Hi-Power, etc. In fact, I probably dismissed the 75 as Eastern European garbage. Fortunately, I've learned over the past few years that the CZ 75/85 series is far better than I initially gave it credit for.

I bought a CZ 75 P-01 back in May of '04. I was impressed by it's ergonomics, balance, capacity, build quality, and price; It's also proven to be damn accurate and extremely reliable. To this day I deeply regret buying this particular pistol as it began my downwards spiral into CZism, as seen in the picture below:( ...

http://www.supercars.net/servlets/PW/garagePics/dont_matr/5car6.jpg

280PLUS
October 8, 2006, 09:19 AM
I have a CZ 527 in7.62x39. I LOVE that little gun...

I find the target position of the single set trigger makes some people nervous. All you have to do is touch it and it goes off. The trick is to absolutely NOT put your finger on the trigger till you are ready to fire. :D

jerkface11
October 8, 2006, 10:44 AM

That was the CZ model 1 no longer in production. It was only available in WSM chamberings. The CZ 452 453 527 and 550 and all czech made. As are all the pistols with the exception of the Dan wesson line.

As for quality i've shot a 452 a couple of 527's and 2 or 3 550's along with an 85 all were well made and accurate. The rifles almost always have very nice wood. At worst thier wood is on par with american made guns.

The Lone Haranguer
October 8, 2006, 10:56 AM
I have one CZ firearm, a 452 "Training Rifle" (.22 LR bolt-action). It is very high quality (the only flaw being a boogered-up action screw head) and extremely accurate. I scoped it, but the scope is almost superfluous except to help me see the target better. ;) I would not hesitate to purchase another CZ. I am intrigued by the P-01 but have not seen one yet, and like the looks of the little 527 rifles.

stevelyn
October 8, 2006, 11:06 AM
My biggest complaint about CZ is they're not making their centerfire bolt rifles in LH...............yet.

Keith Wheeler
October 8, 2006, 12:25 PM
When it was first built, the CZ-75 was considered the finest 9mm combat handgun in the world by many, including folks in the US. Problem was it was made by a communisit nation, so there were very few to be seen in this country. I've seen one early '75 without import markings, supposedly brought over by a service member.

My wife and I have a pair of early CZ-75s, made in '84 and '85. Mine finally needed a new recoil spring, but other than that these things work. Every time.

CZ isn't some "hey we've got cheap labor so lets make some Raven .25s" junk company, they were a state owned firm making weapons for the military, with many years of history and tradition.

craig
October 8, 2006, 12:29 PM
i have two cz's.

a 75 bd, and a pcr(75 compact).

both are reliable, accurate guns. i have installed wolff recoil, mag, and extractor springs, but didn't have any probs with the stock ones.

i do like the way they fit my hand, and the controls are easy for me to use.

i'm trying out the pcr for possible carry use, and so far no problems with the gun at all.

well, just one. my wife has tried both of them, and now wants one of each for her, or she's taking mine.:what:

mr.trooper
October 8, 2006, 04:56 PM
CZs are CRAP! CRAP CRAP CRAPP'ITY CRAP!!!!!!!

In fact, they are SO crappy, that i recomend everyone who posted above send me their CZs so you can all stop endangering yourselvs. i wont even charge you shipping or "disposal" fees! :D

George Hill
October 8, 2006, 06:44 PM
The only downside to CZ's are the wood they are putting on some of their rifles. Their .22 and .17 cal rimfires are horrible. Oh, I'm sure they are selecting the finest quality pallet slats for them, but still. They can be flat out ugly, which is a shame because of the nice lines the wood is cut to. I think it's birch wood, but I'm not sure. They need to step it up there.
On the other hand, the wood they are putting on their Redhead Deluxe over unders is flat out gorgeous if not some of the most beautiful pieces of wood I've ever seen on a over-under that costs less than a grand. (We sell them for under 900 bucks) Some Over Unders costing over 1600 don't even have wood half as nice. At least this is on the examples I've seen in the gun counter that I work at*.
Then you have the CZ single set triggers... which is ideal for a hunting gun. When you have that trophy bull in your scope, and your holding your breath... no trigger is better.
Overall I think CZ's are your best value for your dollar.

(Very Large gun counter with an inventory valued at about 7 Million)

toivo
October 8, 2006, 07:25 PM
The only downside to CZ's are the wood they are putting on some of their rifles. Their .22 and .17 cal rimfires are horrible. Oh, I'm sure they are selecting the finest quality pallet slats for them, but still. They can be flat out ugly, which is a shame because of the nice lines the wood is cut to. I think it's birch wood, but I'm not sure. They need to step it up there.
I think that's true of the Trainer and Basic models with their beechwood stocks, but when you get to the Lux, American, and Varmint models, you start seeing much nicer walnut stocks.

Byron Quick
October 10, 2006, 04:15 PM
My CZ .22 has gorgeous wood. European style stock.

SoCalShooter
October 10, 2006, 04:19 PM
CZ makes great weapons, they are cheap and very good. Unfortunetly they are cheap enough and good enough that they hurt american gun companies but a little competition never hurts.

Bobhwry
October 10, 2006, 06:25 PM
CZ's are the best value on the market today!! I own 6 of their rifles and each one is very accurate and the wood is better than rifles priced at twice the cost. They are much better than anything Savage, Remington, Ruger or Browning is currently producing IMO. No plastic magazines or trigger guards!!
All at very competitive pricing! What's not to like??

Keith Wheeler
October 10, 2006, 06:29 PM
What's not to like??

The way they destroyed the classic lines of the '75 with that ugly squared off trigger guard. Other than that, nothing.

I have seriously wondered if there's enough meat in the trigger guard to remachine a stainless CZ-75 to the classic profile.

Average Joe
October 10, 2006, 08:49 PM
Great guns, buy one or two !

Furncliff
October 10, 2006, 09:07 PM
My cz 75b gets used. It's not a safe queen it's a shooter and everone in the family seems to do well with it on our home range. Since we now have the .22 conversion it's even better, the switch to 9mm is about 30 seconds so there's no hestiation. I have quite large hands my daughter small hands, seems that we both can use it - no problem. A trigger job might be a good thing.

Atticus
October 10, 2006, 09:58 PM
WOW...I don't think I've ever seen 100% approval for any other brand. I agree as well. I love my 75B and .22 Kadet. I sold my CZ rifles simply because I had an urge to buy something else, didn't use them much, and had no $. The wood on the rifles I had was very nice. In fact, the 452 American 17 HMR might of had the nicest wood of any rifle I've owned.

phoglund
October 11, 2006, 07:18 PM
I have no experience with their rifles although I'd love to have a 527 carbine in 7.62X39. I do however have several of their handguns and I find them to have some of the best ergonomics and "feel" of any handgun I've held. Definate thumbs up. My advice is to pick as many CZ guns up as you can before they start charging what they are worth!

RNB65
October 11, 2006, 07:20 PM
...although I'd love to have a 527 carbine in 7.62X39.

So would I! In fact, I have one on order right now and can't wait for it to arrive. :)

Luis Leon
October 11, 2006, 10:05 PM
I love my CZs, the 452 American in .22 lr started it for me. I own a CZ75 p01, CZ75bd, CZ75b, and the kadet adapter kit. My second CZ rifle is the CZ527 in 7.62x39mm. I love this little carbine, handles great and is a good shooter. I hope to hunt deer with it this coming season.

regards,

Luis Leon

P.S. RNB65, you are going to love that CZ527, beautiful little rifle with really nice lines. I wasn't sure I liked the box magazine sticking out the bottom, but now I really do, and it not a problem.

CZJedi
October 12, 2006, 12:09 AM
They are the best gun company out there today! I use a SP-01 as my target gun, a 40-P as my carry gun, a 453 and 75-Kadet as my plinkers, and a 550 for my hunting gun. Besides my Benelli and muzzleloader, I won't buy from any other company.

heypete
October 12, 2006, 03:00 AM
Does anyone know if the 456 American (.22LR) can be threaded with a 1/2 by 28 thread on the muzzle?

I just bought a .22LR suppressor, and am going to have my Ruger MkIII and 10/22 threaded for it, and am looking at getting a 452 for better accuracy than my heavy-barreled 10/22 can provide (for the amount I'd spend on a new trigger pack and other shiny parts, I can get a 452...). I'd love to thread the 452 so I could shoot it suppressed.

That, and it'd be great for teaching new shooters on, particularlly with the suppressor. Not having to wear bulky earmuffs when first starting out can make things a bit more pleasant for new shooters.

Additionally, any recommended optics for it? Say, for fun and plinking out to 100 yards, and competition at 25 and 50 yards?

Muchos thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "CZ quality?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!