Reason #3296 to own a gun- Home invasion just minutes from my home!

PDA

chaim
May 14, 2003, 11:51 PM
Luckily no one was hurt, but would you really want to leave your fate in the hands of three armed thugs who are in the process of robbing your home after forcing their way in with you there:

http://www.sunspot.net/news/local/howard/bal-ho.invade14may14,0,2273275.story?coll=bal%2Dlocal%2Dhoward

Police seek 3 in home invasion

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By A Sun Staff Writer
Originally published May 14, 2003

Howard County and area police were seeking three men, two with guns, who forced their way into an Ellicott City apartment last night and robbed the lone male occupant of several pieces of electronics and other items.
About 9:30 p.m., the 53- year-old victim opened the door of his residence in the 3100 block of Wheaton Way in the Normandy Woods Apartments after a knock by a person identifying himself as a United Parcel Service deliveryman, police said.

After forcing their way in, the intruders bound the victim's feet and left a few minutes later.

The three took a videocassette recorder, a camcorder and cards bearing the victim's identification, said Lt. Richard Witte of the county police.

The unharmed victim, whose name was not divulged, freed himself and called police.

Anyone with information about the incident was urged to call the county police at 410-313-3200.

If you enjoyed reading about "Reason #3296 to own a gun- Home invasion just minutes from my home!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Quintin Likely
May 14, 2003, 11:55 PM
If (God forbid) it'd ever happen to me, I'd prefer my version to read a little something like this:

"Attempted home invasion foiled; <x number of> criminals in critical condition at <enter local hospital here>"

winstonsmith
May 15, 2003, 12:04 AM
I'd want mine to read:

(x thugs) traipsed through a house last night, only to be stopped by a 14 year old boy with a hatchet. The (x) men were surprised when the young man jumped out at them yelling incoherently and brandishing a hatchet....

sm
May 15, 2003, 12:11 AM
Sad, but many still feel, "this won't happen to me...it'll be someone else".

I do know what it is like to come home, and find out rather unexpectedly that someone has broken in the back window and is awaiting my arrival.

That axiom, "action is quicker than reaction"...yeah, it proved true in my favor...

Jim Diver
May 15, 2003, 12:17 AM
Know exactly what you mean... About 6 mojnths back there was a home invasion robbery about 1/4 of a mile from my place....

Heard it on the scanner....

Preacherman
May 15, 2003, 03:00 AM
About 9:30 p.m., the 53- year-old victim opened the door of his residence in the 3100 block of Wheaton Way in the Normandy Woods Apartments after a knock by a person identifying himself as a United Parcel Service deliveryman, police said.
Duh... Can this possibly be true? I mean, if YOU heard a guy knocking on your door at that hour of the evening, would you ever, in your wildest dreams, BELIEVE that UPS was delivering at that time??? Why even open the door to such a bogus story? The mind boggles...

:confused: :scrutiny: :uhoh:

Jmurman
May 15, 2003, 05:56 AM
Chiam,

There was a new report that two men dressed as Balto Police did a home invasion. Thiswas two days ago. Yesterday, another news report said that three men dressed as UPS did a home invasion.

Baltimore is a dangerous place...

foghornl
May 15, 2003, 09:26 AM
I don't even go to the door after dark. But when I do, the 1911 is firmly in hand, behind my strong side leg. Can open door with weak side, so I have a bit of margin there

Carlos Cabeza
May 15, 2003, 09:39 AM
This type of crime is the primary reason to have a firearm in the house. The incidence of these crimes seems to be rising across the country. I have co-workers that insist that the people this happens to are targeted for a reason and not random. I know "most"criminals like easy scores and tend to pick out the elderly or single women but it can and does happen randomly.
Should have read "Home invasion attempt foiled by gunowner, three dead. " Fortunately the man was not injured or killed. :fire:

P95Carry
May 15, 2003, 10:19 AM
Biggest problem that strikes me with such incidents is .........

The perps have the drop on you so ........ what are the odds of making your piece do the necessary, safely and quick enough ..... and, until the I/D's have been established as up to no good, you can't shoot ...... what if it was someone you knew?

But once you realize what and who they are ....... then what? Even with piece already in hand yourself ......... the odds ain't too good. Hmmmm ...... sure gives something to think on ...........

TallPine
May 15, 2003, 10:47 AM
The perps have the drop on you so ........

Not around my place, they won't!

But then, I'm paranoid. :D

braindead0
May 15, 2003, 10:53 AM
For starters, the perps don't have the drop on you if you don't open the door. Doesn't everyone have a way to see whats there before opening? I can also see the street, no UPS truck/cop car...it's pretty obvious.

The split second it takes for them to break down the door (longer if you've pinned the hinges and the like) is time to seek cover and get ready to mow down some criminals.

Plus, even if they get the drop on me, my wife's a good shot ;-)

UnknownSailor
May 15, 2003, 10:57 AM
^^ I'm with him.
I am always armed at home (strong side belt holster, weak side extra mag), and I weigh as much as any 2 normal people. You ain't getting in my door if I'm behind it without a lot of help.

If you enjoyed reading about "Reason #3296 to own a gun- Home invasion just minutes from my home!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!