Army Air Force Exchange (PX/BX)

PDA

Battlespace
October 7, 2006, 09:49 AM
About seven or eight months ago the local PX started carrying guns. :) Any of you servicemembers or retired and have a PX near you doing the same?

They now have a decent selection of handguns running from Glock, to Kal Tec, to S&W, with a few others thrown in. There is a nice selection of rifle calibers from .22 up 45-70. Shotguns are also well represented .410 to 12 gauge and pumps to some really nice doubles. Ammo selection is limited now, but the local Wal Mart just remodeled the sporting goods section and has greatly increased their offerings.

If you enjoyed reading about "Army Air Force Exchange (PX/BX)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Roadkill
October 7, 2006, 09:57 AM
Long time back Army posts had a Rod & Cun Club store. Located on base, they had a full selection of guns & ammo plus fishing gear. Lots of guys my age purchased a handgun for the Vietnam trip form the local base store. A Belgian High Power was $124.oo, included holster and three magazines.

Nicolai
October 7, 2006, 09:59 AM
Don't know if they still do or not, but Exchange on Elmendorf AFB, Alaska, used to carry guns and would special order. Elmendorf had a great sports store and, when new Exchange was built, their inventory went to new Exchange mall. Naturally, old sports store was better (larger, wider inventory). Kinda refreshing to see firearms and ammo in an Exchange.

Lebben-B
October 7, 2006, 10:01 AM
Hasn't reached Ft Sill yet. And given the nature of this place, it probably won't.

Mike

Harry Paget Flashman
October 7, 2006, 12:38 PM
The Navy quit selling guns in their exchanges in the 70's. What you are reporting, Battlespace, is refreshing news. I hope the practice spreads.

MillCreek
October 7, 2006, 01:23 PM
The Navy Exchange Everett, at Smokey Point, does not carry firearms or ammo. Neither does the PX at Fort Lewis; I am told they used to, but a new Commanding General of the post several years ago stopped it.

thumper723
October 7, 2006, 01:43 PM
The NEX at
NAS Pensacola (base or mall)
NAS Whiting Field
NAS Jacksonville
NS Mayport (base or mall)

Do not sell guns or ammo. I have seen targets as hunting clothing at NAS JAX though.

atomchaser
October 7, 2006, 05:44 PM
I have yet to see an Air Force BX with firearm's sales. I have heard that the BX at Elemendorf AFB sells them, but have not visited that base. It would be great if they did or could order them for you. I think they are sort of like Walmart, though, and there would have to be a good business case for it, i.e., located in a strong hunting area. Anymore the BX seem to cater more towards retirees then anything. Lots of TVs, out of fashion clothes, and depends.

Abby
October 7, 2006, 05:50 PM
The Marine Corps exchange at 29 Palms was selling firearms in 2001, when I left there. It's the only one I ever saw that did, but rumor was another of the California MC bases did the same.

An interesting bit of trivia - I was a Sgt (E5), lived off base, and had to have my OIC (a captain) sign a "permission slip" for me to buy a pistol. He did, of course, but it was still one of the funniest requests I ever made of an OIC.

10MMGary
October 7, 2006, 05:56 PM
The Marine Base at Parris Island has a nice gunshop right in one of the larger "everything Marine" stores. According to the ladies working the counter if your stationed there you can buy from there. They had glocks S&Ws and about three different types of ARs and a rack full of some AK47 variant. She also told me that they sell more ARs that one would think, approx 2 to 1 over AKs (whatever that means). Prices seemed fair to good as best I remember. Also according to one of the ladies each Marine base is different and it is up to the commanding General of each base whether or not they allow a gunshop on base.
Gary

MatthewVanitas
October 7, 2006, 06:00 PM
I was in 29 Palms from 2003-2005, and they never sold firearms while I was there. Just knives, airguns, and pistol and rifle ammo.

Ft Sill didn't even have the above.

However, The MCX at Quantico carried a wide variety of pistols and rifles, including AR-15s. Plus they had Quantico Arms right out the back gate.

Both 29P and Pendleton have good-quality gunstores just a few minutes' drive from the base. Iron Sights is literally five minutes from Pendleton, and has good rental rates. I'd stick with Yellow Mart in 29P though, Lock Stock is run by some curmudegony folks (see my complaint threads).

Glad to hear that some bases are seeing the light (or the greenbacks).

-MV

jobu07
October 7, 2006, 06:08 PM
Nothing at Fort Benning that i've seen.

Sam
October 7, 2006, 06:51 PM
Few AF BXs sell firearms although some do. Usually sold through the rod and gun club

I sold guns at King Salmon when I was there but they were all special orders.
Kept ammo in stock though. Pretty small post.

Sam

Lennyjoe
October 7, 2006, 06:53 PM
Nothing at DM or Hurlburt. I did hear of AK having them in the BX but thats all I knew about.

Ft Lewis had a shop on base that sold firearms but that was in the early 90's. Don't know if they still do or not now though.

aka108
October 7, 2006, 06:55 PM
Remember seeing firearms for sale at MCAS Yuma. Have not been in the Exchange for a few years so don't know what current policy is.

Steel Talon
October 7, 2006, 07:02 PM
Ft Huachuca has the sportsmans club.

Peace
Steel Talon:cool:

camper
October 7, 2006, 07:27 PM
Not in the Bragg PXs.

Langenator
October 7, 2006, 09:11 PM
Outdoor Rec at Ft Lewis used to sell guns and a limited selection of ammo and loading supplies, but last time I was in there (looking for powder, actually), it looked like they were getting out of the gun business. Outdoor Rec is a division of MWR (Morale, Welfare, and Recreation), not AAFES.

The PX seems to constantly have construction going on in one section or another. Hard to tell if they may be prepping to add guns, but I think it's doubtful.

possum
October 7, 2006, 09:22 PM
i have been here at riley for three years and they don't sell guns at our px. i have heard alot of stories from old timmers that said that bragg used to have gun sales, but i don't know if it was in the px, but it was somewhere on the post though.

Josh Aston
October 7, 2006, 11:16 PM
The BX at Eielson carries guns. I just ordered a DW RZ-10 through them. There's a Sports Store at Ft Wainwright that carries guns.

lionking
October 7, 2006, 11:44 PM
interesting,though I am not military or retired my father is retired and has gotten me on bases from time to time.Never knew that firearms were or are for purchase on base.

I have gone onto base to look at BDUs and gear and what I saw the prices were actually the same as a civilian surplus store and the same stuff.

Of course you military folk don't have to pay taxes though.

Battlespace
October 8, 2006, 09:04 AM
A couple of replies are in order.

First the old "Rod and Bottle" clubs are pretty much all gone now. There are still a few, but the PC minded folks running the MWR (Morale, Welfare and Recreation) usually do not support them. There are still some civilian use ranges available, but they need to be supported or they will be history.

The quality of the clothes at Military Clothing Sales stores and at civilain military clothing outlets are different. I work for the Army as a civilian and have several "green suiters" who I work with. When the latest in Desert Camo came out one of them, a Colonel, headed out the local off post store to get some and be the first to his his. The others, all Captains and NCO's, waited until the clothing sales store had them. They then compared with the colonel. His had far fewer stiches in the seams, the seams were not even, the reinforced patches for the knees, elbows, etc were not nearly as large, and even the cloth seemed to be a little thinner.

The Lone Haranguer
October 8, 2006, 10:37 AM
I was a civilian at Fort Irwin, CA from 1997-2000. No firearms there.

Inline_6
October 8, 2006, 12:49 PM
Never been to an Army or AF exchange that sold guns. The Marine exchange at Quantico does sell them though!

mikeb3185
October 8, 2006, 12:54 PM
elmendorph(sp?) alaska. had a nice selection

Ohen Cepel
October 8, 2006, 12:59 PM
Quantico is the only one I have ever seen that sold them and I've seen several since '87.

Would be great if more started! If nothing else the tax break would be nice.

U.S.SFC_RET
October 8, 2006, 01:27 PM
I have never seen a PX ever sell Guns or Ammunition. The deadliest thing ever sold is the knife.:evil:

USMC - Retired
October 8, 2006, 01:46 PM
I've never been to a Mrine Corps exchange that didn't sell guns, except the ones in Japan. But there (Iwakuni) we could buy shotguns from a Japanese dealer and got some great deals!

Can'thavenuthingood
October 8, 2006, 03:08 PM
I wrote a letter to the Navy's NEX "command bigshot make all decisions for everybody group" back east somewhere. Asked why no guns, ammo, bows or arrows, airsoft or BB guns.
That was about a year ago.
They choose not to sell those things.

And the MWR is nothing short of racketeers. If you want something to go under, get the MWR involved.

Vick

thumper723
October 8, 2006, 03:14 PM
MWR and PCness has all but killed the O'clubs at most Naval Air Stations.

Most of the CPO clubs are staying afloat by having the best lunch on base.

I'm sorry but when I was Enlisted, I hated consolidaed clubs, becasue the boss may be there. Now that I am an Officer, I hate them for the reason that it is WAY too easy for an O to end up going home with an Enlisted girl who does not say she's in until after the fact... Seen that ruin more than a few careers.

af1acura
October 8, 2006, 03:40 PM
the MCX at Camp Allen, Norfolk sells guns. They had a decent selection of pistols, rifles, AR's and a WSAR. They had horrible customer service though, they first took 2 weeks to do my background check and I was calling them everyday on this, then I went to pick up my gun and they "accidently" sold it to someone else and didn't have another one. Then they tried to get me to buy the same gun in a different caliber.

deadin
October 8, 2006, 03:47 PM
Two years ago the Rod & Gun Clubs on Vandenburg AFB, Beale AFB and Fort Bliss were selling long guns, Outdoor Rec on Fort Lewis also had long guns. I can't recall if they had any handguns in stock, but you couild order through them.

Dean

.45Guy
October 8, 2006, 04:18 PM
The MCAS New River exchange had a small selection back around 2001.

Str8Shooter
October 8, 2006, 09:32 PM
Pretty interesting how the military, whose business is guns and killing, is so reluctant to let their own members possess privately owned firearms.

Noble
October 8, 2006, 10:25 PM
NEX @ NAS Corpus Christi does not sell firearms as far as I know, but its been a few months since Ive been in there.

thumper723
October 8, 2006, 10:42 PM
NASCC/CCAD did not have firearms when I was there in 2001-2002 for Primay Flight Training.

Wife has not said anything about them getting them, and she is in Corpus about 2-3 times a year to visit her grandparents.

Ohen Cepel
October 8, 2006, 10:50 PM
Thumper- it wasn't MWR that killed the clubs. It was clinton and the PC effort. Mostly clinton's policies though, the budget was cut and things were left to sink or swim. In the end they all sank since people didn't want to deal with MP's in the parking lot and the poor service/food of the clubs. His policy is the same reason the stables, theatre's, car care, and crafts centers have left most posts.

I only know the Army end of it. However, our clubs are now nothing that I would take anyone to. In the past I know that it was an honor to go to the O' Club, now they're usually pretty nasty and run down.

thumper723
October 8, 2006, 10:56 PM
There are a couple that stay open and vibrant, specifically NAS Pensacola and NAS Oceana (Va Beach, VA).

But these bases have a TON of Ensigns and 2nd LTs that keep the place bumping, and the base COs have been the type that likes the clubs (read as no MA's in the parking lot).

KC&97TA
October 8, 2006, 11:46 PM
Camp Pendleton Exchange carries a decent selection, but will order anything except a .50 or stubby for you, no AR's in CA.

Yuma has a very nice sporting goods selection, to include assult rifles.

the price of ammo is compareable to wally mart

thumper723
October 9, 2006, 01:03 AM
Are USMC exchanges under the NEX command, or are they stand alone?

CavalryJim
October 9, 2006, 01:42 AM
The PX at Fort Knox is selling firearms....and they have a pretty nice selection (M1As, 1911s, Glocks, etc).

USMC - Retired
October 9, 2006, 02:32 AM
Are USMC exchanges under the NEX command, or are they stand alone?

The Marine Corps Exchange system is a stand alone system as far as I know.

Ops Officer
October 9, 2006, 10:05 AM
"Quantico is the only one I have ever seen that sold them and I've seen several since '87."

Where in the Quantico MCX? I've been shopping there for many years and never noticed.

Inline_6
October 9, 2006, 10:24 AM
Where in the Quantico MCX? I've been shopping there for many years and never noticed.
Go straight back, past all the 5.11 clothing, past the shoes and you'll walk right into it. There is a small glass case on the left before you get into the camping gear and sporting goods. The move all the pistols into a more secure area about 30 min or an hour before closing.

This is the main side MCX. They were still doing this as late as June 2006 and I cannot imagine they have stopped. They has a variety of 1911s, Glocks (even the ones with the silly desert camo paint jobs), Sigs, HKs, XDs, etc.

zoom6zoom
October 9, 2006, 10:28 AM
Plus they had Quantico Arms right out the back gate.

Still do. QA has a location near Ft. Lewis now as well, plus Ft. Hood, Ft. Campbell, and Pendleton.

fug731
March 29, 2011, 02:22 AM
Anyone know where I can get an updated list of PX/BX/NEX/MCX that sell firearms?

nalioth
March 29, 2011, 02:37 AM
Gentle readers, please read the post dates - this thread's been untouched for 5 years prior to today.

J_McLeod
March 29, 2011, 02:41 AM
Anyone know where I can get an updated list of PX/BX/NEX/MCX that sell firearms?
Best way I've found is to pick up a PX flyer. If it has firearms in the flyer, which it usually does, it'll say which bases they are available at.

slabuda
March 29, 2011, 02:45 AM
nalioth Gentle readers, please read the post dates - this thread's been untouched for 5 years prior to today.

nalioth...nothing against you Im sure you are a great guy....but...I have a rant....

This guy obviously "Used the search function" and posted actually a decent update to this thread.

Yes it is old...but how many times do we hear "Use the search function..."

Then we hear "Why do people always bring up old threads?"

SO how old does a thread need to be before we cant use search and re-post to it?...

Even the mods are not immune to this....closing threads people resurrect..yes MANY of them are no longer relevant but MANY are as well as "reminding" people to use the search function...sometimes the same mod with in days of both threads,

Sorry rant over..... :)

"If" this is kept ope you can add Mountain Home AFB Id to the list.

isc
March 29, 2011, 02:52 AM
not at Ft Gordon, Ga

nalioth
March 29, 2011, 03:09 AM
@slabuda

The problem with unearthing old threads like this one, is that in the 5 years since it was last active, some of the info has most likely changed.

When you unearth one of these, you get folks responding to 5 year old posts with "Hey, that PX doesn't sell guns - you're mistaken" type posts. This is because folks don't pay attention to post dates, and since they don't, the last post (the one that unearthed the thread) is usually ignored, leaving the thread necromancer without an answer they would have quickly gotten by starting a new thread.

This is not the type of thread that needs unearthing.

doc2rn
March 29, 2011, 03:24 AM
Affirmitive the NEX on Lejeune had them from '93-'00.

^Nalioth that maybe true but they sure are fun.

rc109a
March 29, 2011, 08:06 AM
As of last month Ft Stewart in GA had a decent selection of rifles and pistols.

MrCleanOK
March 29, 2011, 08:36 AM
The Ft Knox PX has a gun counter, and there is an MWR operated public range on post. I haven't looked closely at the selection, but it seems decent and about what one would expect for a small department within a larger store.

Edit to add: Oh crud. I normally check the dates and don't post on necro-threads. Looks like I got duped this time. Eh, I'll leave my information up. Can't hurt to have something current on here.

jaysouth
March 29, 2011, 10:06 AM
The main PX at Ft. Campbell sells all sorts of guns, at MSRP or above.

The commissary and PX are all priced above Walmart or Target. Class VI is also highter than civilian liquor stores off post. They will quickly point out that on post sales are sales tax free, however, most items can be purchased off post cheaper.

USAF_Vet
March 29, 2011, 10:58 AM
Yokota AB, Japan: No
Travis AFB, CA: No
Rhein-Main AB, Germany: No
Incirlik AB, Turkey: No, although there are half a dozen shotgun shops just off base.

Been to a lot more bases in the US and the world over, never seen any guns for sale. I've also heard Elmendorf has guns, but I don't recall seeing them in the main BX.

deadin
March 29, 2011, 12:12 PM
I just picked up a S&W 642 at Outdoor Recreation on JBLM (The new name for Fort Lewis/McChord AFB). The price beat averything I could find on the outside including on-line (after shipping and FFL fees were added in.) The closest I could come was a LGS that has very good prices, but also had to charge sales tax.

welldoya
March 29, 2011, 12:28 PM
Eglin AFB has a small gunshop with both handguns and longguns. I picked up a few Glock mags at a good price.
USAF Vet - Rhein Main had a pretty good rod and gun club back in the late 80s. I bought a bunch of Puma knives and my CZ 75 from there. Don't know about Incirlik but Ankara had a good rod and gun club in the 70s. I'm sure it's all changed now.

howlnmad
March 29, 2011, 05:05 PM
Gentle readers, please read the post dates - this thread's been untouched for 5 years prior to today.
I love "zombie threads". Sometimes they can revive something forgotten.

fug731,
I have a questionare out about Holloman AFB. Will report back.
I missed an answer for Lajeune by about 2 hours. My son should be boardung for deployment as I type.

SwampWolf
March 29, 2011, 05:06 PM
A friend of mine and I ordered several firearms at great prices from the BX at Anderson AFB on Guam back in 1963. One of my biggest disappointments when it comes to gun purchases was receiving a Winchester Model 88, chambered in .358 Win., from the states with a busted stock. The policy of the BX back then (or so they told me) was that you could not reorder the same firearm in the event of damage. So I ordered a Model 100 Winchester instead, chambered in .308 Win., a nice rifle for sure, and the one that I killed my first deer with after being reassigned stateside (Wurtsmith AFB, in Oscoda, Michigan) in 1964. But I will always regret not getting that Model 88...:(

dprice3844444
March 29, 2011, 05:10 PM
amsoil lifer here too,ya know,there waterproof axle grease makes a great pistol/rifle slide lube.doesn't dry up like the military stuff.i use a lil dab in my ar upper for the bolt carrier

dprice3844444
March 29, 2011, 05:13 PM
good ole fort gordon,pop died ther 12/26/80,visiting older bro who was a gas passer at dwight d med center

howlnmad
March 29, 2011, 06:31 PM
That's an affirmative on Holloman AFB, Allamaghetto NM.

VA27
March 29, 2011, 06:40 PM
NAS Lemoore did in the 60's. I bought a 94 Winchester there in '69.

fug731
March 29, 2011, 06:52 PM
Posted 03/29/11 @ 1750hrs
Thanks for the information folks, actually when I searched and found the last entry dated 06, I thought that it would show up in Recent Post and that the current date would appear, but obviously a mistake. I will open a new thread next time. I’ve looked around to find a current list of AFEES locations that offer firearms & ammo. I will post it when I do
Old threads like this, sometime, come in handy when traveling. thanks again…doc
Howlnmad tell your son “head down, eyes open & powder dry”

Hypnogator
March 29, 2011, 08:22 PM
Usetowas, most of them did. I remember working a suicide case at Ft. Lewis where the subject purchased a Model 94 Winchester at the PX, took it out into the woods, and killed himself. :( I got my Redhawk at the Rod & Gun Club at Bitburg AFB, Germany, and shot trap on their trap & skeet range. :cool:

deadin
March 29, 2011, 08:35 PM
You might have better luck checking with bases that have Rod&Gun Clubs or Outdoor Recreation facilities. I know that most of the bases that I have found ammo and, sometimes, firearms are more likely to have them at these facilities. They are not AAFES/MCX/NEX but are a part of MWR.

finz50
March 29, 2011, 09:13 PM
Eilelson AFB sells guns downstairs in the main BX....Eglin AFB also sells firearms as well (bought a "few" there)...

chez323
March 30, 2011, 12:18 AM
Where are you located? I've never been to a bx that carried guns.

Tim

Yoda
March 30, 2011, 01:35 AM
You just gottsa be in the right Air Force place...:-)

- - - Yoda

eglin and D

fug731
March 30, 2011, 01:18 PM
OK found a list for AFFEES waiting for NEX
Firearms are available at these
select AFFES Exchange locations.
Barksdale AFB
Davis Monthan AFB
Dyess AFB
Eglin AFB
Eielson AFB
Ellsworth AFB
F.E. Warren AFB
Ft. Belvoir
Ft. Benning
Ft. Bliss
Ft. Campbell
Ft. Carson
Ft. Drum
Ft. Hood
Ft. Irwin
Ft. Knox
Ft. Leavenworth
Ft. Polk
Ft. Riley
Ft. Rucker
Ft. Stewart
Ft. Wainwright
Grand Forks AFB
Hill AFB
Holloman AFB
JB Elmendorf-Richardson
Little Rock AFB
Minot AFB
Mt. Home AFB
Nellis AFB
O_ utt AFB
Tinker AFB
Whiteman AFB

howlnmad
March 30, 2011, 01:44 PM
Not a bad list. Hopefully this will help others. Thank you for doing the research.

chez323
March 30, 2011, 02:23 PM
Looks like I'm nowhere near any of these :(

Whiskey11
March 30, 2011, 02:58 PM
The O_utt AFB is Offutt AFB in Bellevue Nebraska, and the BX does sell firearms. Been there twice with different military friends and seen them myself, they also do custom orders too :)

pyth0n
March 30, 2011, 09:46 PM
About seven or eight months ago the local PX started carrying guns. :) Any of you servicemembers or retired and have a PX near you doing the same?

They now have a decent selection of handguns running from Glock, to Kal Tec, to S&W, with a few others thrown in. There is a nice selection of rifle calibers from .22 up 45-70. Shotguns are also well represented .410 to 12 gauge and pumps to some really nice doubles. Ammo selection is limited now, but the local Wal Mart just remodeled the sporting goods section and has greatly increased their offerings.
Yes. They started in @ Davis Monthan June, IIRC. I visited Ft. Huachuca and didn't see any gun dept in the PX.

TheGrimReaper
March 30, 2011, 09:49 PM
When I was at Camp Lejuene we had one there.

EddieNFL
March 30, 2011, 09:52 PM
Eglin AAFES is sponsoring a TEAM CZ shooter on Hurlburt Field (DIT range) Friday and Saturday. They will supply a number of CZ firearms and ammo for those who wish to try them out.

PavePusher
March 31, 2011, 02:11 AM
Yes. They started in @ Davis Monthan June, IIRC. I visited Ft. Huachuca and didn't see any gun dept in the PX.

I think it was more like July/August, they had some delays in the licencing paperwork. Not too bad of a random selection and they will order anything you want.

I donated a pair of Bloomfield Press gun law books (Gun Laws of America and The Arizona Gun Owners Guide) to the staff, as I overheard some utter cluelessness and out-right disturbingly incorrect information there several times. Some good people working there, but they don't seem to know a lot about guns or the laws. Haven't checked in since Oct/Nov time frame, time to go see about getting a new 1911....:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Army Air Force Exchange (PX/BX)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!