S&W sale...not sure what to get now.

PDA

Protein anchor
October 7, 2006, 05:16 PM
Normally I would only post once, but since the sale ends soon...if this is not cool havve the mod revove the post. I apologize in advance...I am new here. Thanks

Hi, I just returned from the SW columbus day sale...below are the revolvers I am leaning towards (all NIB)...and the price. Basically all their new guns are 29% off list (catalog price). And they have them all in stock of course.

QUESTION: do the 637, 638, and 642 have the peeling finish issue now, or have they gotten that under control? I looked and could not really tell if they were clear-coated.

637 - 329.00
638 - 340.00
642 - 342.00

60 - 442.00
64 - 439.00

619 - 443.00

What would you get? Perhaps a model I have not listed? All are ~30% off...so help me out. Thanks, :D

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W sale...not sure what to get now." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
beaucoup ammo
October 7, 2006, 05:25 PM
EZ! Model 60 in .357 and a Model 637 1-7/8th" barrel in .38Spcl. Both "J" frames..both great for concealment. Love those Smith and Wesson Snubbies! Sorry can't help with the finish question.

Great prices. Just got a NIB 637 for $349.

tulsamal
October 7, 2006, 05:33 PM
I would take my money and leave. Go to gunbroker or a good used gun dealer, whatever. Buy a S&W that doesn't have a hole in the sideplate. One that will keep working and that will hold its value over time. The dealers have a hard time selling the lock revolvers now. What will resale be like in ten years when they have finally changed to something more acceptable?

Gregg

Protein anchor
October 7, 2006, 05:36 PM
Tulsamal, please eleaborate a bit for me as this is my first revolver. I am not sure what you mean. Thanks, :D

beaucoup ammo
October 7, 2006, 05:42 PM
Go for the Model 60. You'll have the .357 option..and can put .38's through it all day.

Ala Dan
October 7, 2006, 06:37 PM
Proly' a 60, or a 642~!:cool: :D

tegemu
October 7, 2006, 07:01 PM
I would give some SERIOUS consideration to getting a S&W Scandium Commander!!!

cbsbyte
October 7, 2006, 07:41 PM
This warning comes from personal experience and from some friendsn who use to visit the S&W store. Personally I would not buy a handgun at the S&W Training center store in Springfield. It is a nice place to visit to try out S&W's full line of handguns at their modern indoor range. Though I have to worn you that the sales agents are know to be pretty shrewed characters who will tell you anything to make a sale. Even if it is a flat out lie. I never liked the sales agents employed at the place, and know one to many people that got ripped off by them at the cash regeister. At least this was the case at last years annual sale. For instance they did not apply the full discounts to a purchase, or made an excuse that the sale price was wrongly marked. Even with the sale prices you can still do better at a store like Ware Gun shop or Four Season etc during their S&W days. If you do decide to shop at the S&W store make sure you look at the bill before you leave to make sure they added it up correctly and fully applied all the discounts.

Now about your choices well you can't go wrong with any of them. Personally, I would choose the Model 60.

Protein anchor
October 7, 2006, 08:08 PM
I was thinking that as well...60. As far as the salesman...believe me, I already know the cost with tax before I even begin to check out. As a matter of fact they told me they were taking an additional 10% off...but that was not even listed anywhere on the signage. I would have never known. But thanks for the heads-up on that, they guys there seemed really nice I must say, not even pressuring me at all to make the sale...real laid back. Thanks, :)

StuckInMA
October 7, 2006, 08:28 PM
I purchased the 642 for my wife during the tax free weekend and have had a hard time handing it over. ;) The size and weight make it a great gun for comfortable all day carry. Plus I'm a sucker for hammerless.

Not aware of any problems with the finish, but again it's only a few months old.

PlayboyPenguin
October 7, 2006, 08:31 PM
Plus I'm a sucker for hammerless.
We differ on that one. I bought my Ruger SP101 in the spurless hammer model and I miss that feeling of cocking back the hammer very badly. :(

cbsbyte
October 8, 2006, 01:07 AM
From your experience yesterday, maybe S&W turned over a new leaf and hired some decent help. Last time I was there a year ago there where several smart ass college kids working the rental, and sales counter who cared more about making a sale than actually helping people. They knew plenty about S&W firearms, and how to make a sale but little about real customer service. They where, beside a couple of older gentleman(who work aside from the others), a high pressure sales team. At times they where very friendly to customers to reel them in, but as someone who is use to seeing salesman at work, I could easily see past their false facades to their true nature. Their tactics was something one would see at a very large car dealership.

This story was relayed to me two years ago. A good friend of mine, who is a avid pistol shooter, went the a S&W sale, to look at new revolvers, I believe he wanted a 4" 357 mag, but I could be wrong. He found the gun he wanted in the display case, and after handling it for some time decided to buy it. Anyway, after sigining the paper work the sales agent took the filled out paper work, and the revolver to the back office to do the NCIS check and finish the dealer part of the paper work. Several minutes later the agent came out with sealed pistol case, and all the paper work done. My friend paid then left the store with the gun. After driving an hour home, he went to find his wife to show her their new revolver. Upon opening the case, he realized that something was not right with the gun. The revolver looked worn compared to the new model he picked out in the case. He inspect futher and quickly realized that it was a different gun. He checked the paper work and realized that the sales agent had filled out the Mass FA-10 form with this guns serial number, not the one he had held at the store. Of course he called the store to correct the matter, and to their credit they where willing to refund his money. But they refused to admit they had switched guns in the back room. And the sales agent he had delt with refused to talk to him on the phone about the problem. If this does not reek of dishonsety then I don't know what is. I have heard stories from other people that have tried to buy gun at the store. Maybe it was a few rengeade sales agents, or bad apples. But it seems to be a trend. Hopefully for Smith sake they got rid of those unprofessional sales agents.
On a positive note last time I was there their where a couple of older gentlemen who worked behing the sales counter, and where class acts. I had a nice converstation with one of them, but he let one of the kids butt into the conversation to try to make a sale.

Huddog
October 8, 2006, 01:16 AM
I have a 642 and love it. It has the lock on it but I have never used it nor have I had any problems with it accidently locking due to recoil, nor do I have a peeling problem.

Majic
October 8, 2006, 01:18 AM
You list 4 J-frames, 1 K-frame, and 1 L-frame as choices. What will be the purpose of the revolver?

aaronrkelly
October 8, 2006, 04:12 AM
I wouldnt get any of those guns.......their 29% off is about 10% HIGHER then I pay for NIB Smiths.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W sale...not sure what to get now." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!