Slugs through a bird barrel....adequate for deer hunting?

PDA

CA2005
October 7, 2006, 06:57 PM
I'm just out of the military and can't really afford a slug barrel right now, so I plan to use my 1970's 870 Wingmaster 12 GA for deer hunting this fall. It's a plain barrel 28 inch with fixed modified choke. Due to it's age of course it's 2 3/4 only.

Is this going to be adequate for deer this year? Max shot will be 75 yards. I have a good supply of Remington Sluggers and plan to start practicing next week.

Thanks for the input!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Slugs through a bird barrel....adequate for deer hunting?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rupestris
October 7, 2006, 07:12 PM
Should work just fine at that range. Don't limit yourself to the sluggers. You might find that another slug will print better out of your SG. Try some of the Rotweill's or Breneke's.
I found that mine did best with the Rotweill Blitz which, lucky for me, are the cheapest slugs around. About $2/box of 5.

Chris

By the way, Thanks for your service to our great nation!

CA2005
October 7, 2006, 07:26 PM
Thanks Rupestris, I appreciate that.

I thought about picking up some of the Breneke's today. Maybe I'll give them a shot.

Dave McCracken
October 7, 2006, 10:21 PM
Most folks can do good work with a setup like yours and slugs out to 50 yards or so. Test different slugs to see which ones your shotgun likes.

And, I'll also thank you for your service....

zero_chances
October 7, 2006, 11:42 PM
I have not had much experiance with slugs, but the Brennekes K.O. Slugs seemes to do well in my Benelli Nova. The seemed to drop alot though.

If you enjoyed reading about "Slugs through a bird barrel....adequate for deer hunting?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!