China shooting all the pets..

PDA

twoblink
May 15, 2003, 02:35 AM
China has had a lot of "stray pets" problem..

And with Sars, they have found a perfect excuse to elliminate that problem.. They have gone around and started killing all the "stray" pets. The only problem is, their definition of "stray"..

Also, for those who don't quite know what freedom looks like, China is a shining example of what freedom isn't.

Also, for those who feel that owning a firearm in the house is not important... wait until the government comes to shoot Fido...

If you enjoyed reading about "China shooting all the pets.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Triad
May 15, 2003, 02:47 AM
Is there a specific article that prompted this?

CZ-75
May 15, 2003, 02:49 AM
On a related note, there will be an abundance of fur-trimmed coats at the Burlington Coat Factory, et al. next Fall. :evil:

Considering that they were skinning dogs alive (to limit blood damage to pelts) to provide "Mongolian Dog Fur" to cheap coat outlets a few years ago, shooting is way preferable.

Seeing how they treat their people, this should be little surprise; China has to be one of the more barbaric countries around, particularly since we took care of Saddam. If there is any place PETA might actually do some good, this would be it. Instead, they spend their time trying to convince us in the Free World that school children should drink beer rather than milk and that we should eat tofu rather than meat. :rolleyes:

Jim March
May 15, 2003, 03:00 AM
But on the upside, the local meat markets are finally stocked.

:scrutiny:

:barf:

Ivanimal
May 15, 2003, 03:17 AM
Aw hell I have been shooting the neighborhood pet squirells for years and no one has said a word. Least of all the sheriff I helped to patch his roof due to pest damage. I blieve he took me out to chinese for dinner.:D

twoblink
May 15, 2003, 03:48 AM
Ivanimal, so you killed it AND ate it for dinner?? ;)

What prompted this, an article in the Taiwanese newspaper...

Justin
May 15, 2003, 05:39 AM
Gee, suddenly that scene with the dogs in Equilibrium doesn't seem all that far fetched.

Sleeping Dog
May 15, 2003, 08:02 AM
twoblink, which China? Is the article referring to the mainland, or to Taiwan?

Regards.

Kharn
May 15, 2003, 08:38 AM
Jim: Follow your dad's advice, dont eat the 'rabbit' if you're ever over there. :evil:

Kharn
(For those that dont know, cat and rabbit taste an awful lot alike...)

Flashpoint
May 15, 2003, 11:36 AM
If the cats knew what was good for them they would be happy they were being shot. A few years ago I watched one of those HBO specials about cruelty to animals and they show China's new delicacy -cat. They said it started out what poor people eat, but them it became a favorite food of the rich somehow. The grabbed a cat around the neck with a noose and then dropped it in a vat of boiling water for a couple of minutes, then they were taking out dropped in cold water (you could see the thing trying to swim), then they yanked it out, wiped off it's fur, and skinned it. As awful as that was, what really made me made was the so-called "hunters" they showed. It was on a private hunting range were a guy and his son wanted to shot Hawaiian black ram. The owner told them to set in a tree line and wait. Across from the tree line was a clearing about fifteen yards wide and a six-foot fence. A few minutes passed and the heard of ram came down the trail, stopped almost directly across from them and huddled up, at that point they picked one and shoot it with their crossbow. The one thy shot fell over, and the rest scattered the two "hunters" got up ran over and shot it again, then proceeded to congratulate them selves on their excellent hunting skills. That little clip of so-called "hunters" still makes me want to puke.:barf: :fire:

Jesse H
May 15, 2003, 12:26 PM
twoblink, which China? Is the article referring to the mainland, or to Taiwan?

Think he said it was from a Taiwanese newspaper. China is China. Taiwan is Taiwan.

I refuse to call China, the R.O.C. Either way, I'm glad I'm in Texas.

blades67
May 15, 2003, 01:31 PM
They run students down with tanks because the students speak their mind, why is anyone suprised that they'd kill animals because of the SARS panic?:rolleyes:

geekWithA.45
May 15, 2003, 01:39 PM
Pets: Aw hell, they eat them...no surprise there.

Tianemen square: Remember that the first commander who was ordered to run them over refused, stating that "The People's Army will not slaughter the People".

He was subsequently "replaced" by a commander from the provinces, who knew nothing of what was going on, and only told that these rebel scum wanted to harm the motherland.

Coronach
May 15, 2003, 01:41 PM
[Edit] Comments deleted due to others taking the highroad, albiet perforce.

Thank you!

-Coronach

TechBrute
May 15, 2003, 01:44 PM
They do that in Tennessee, too. Shoot the dogs, that is. Oh, but only if you're a Highway Patrol doing a mistaken felony stop.

280PLUS
May 15, 2003, 04:41 PM
theyre talking about shooting the people now.

they want to execute anyone who knowingly spreads the virus...

just heard it on cnn

:eek: :what:

and from our "out of the mouths of babes" category:

11 y.o. in chinese resturant to waiter, "is this cat?"

waiter, mortified, "NO!! NO!! IT'S NO CAT!!"

280: equally mortified, looking for rock to crawl under...

:uhoh:

twoblink
May 15, 2003, 11:57 PM
They run students down with tanks because the students speak their mind, why is anyone suprised that they'd kill animals because of the SARS panic?

Actually, they only run the pro-freedom students down.. :rolleyes:

Keep in mind, if there are 20,000 people who are SARS infected in China.. killing all of them is not that big of a deal to China..

1.2 BILLION - 20,000 = 1.2BILLION, statistically insignificant... It's only in America that people value freedom and life..

As for eating cats.. I've never tried it myself, but they say the meat is sour, that is why it's not so popular..

DigMe
May 16, 2003, 01:19 AM
I lived in China for a year last year. I was also there in 1996. Believe it or not China is changing. It's almost imperceptible on a micro-level but having also been there in 1996 I could really see some drastic change in those 5 years. People say that Chinese have no religious freedom. Their religious freedom isn't like ours but Christians are free to be Christians and so on. They DO officially have to go to the state church (they can choose from a few denominations) but many of the state churches really are legit and not tools of the gov't. I'm a Christian so that's one thing that I really noticed. People seemed a lot more free to practice than 5 years ago. Yes they definitely have restrictions on their freedom but it's NOT what a lot of you probably picture.

Walking around any city in Beijing usually feels like being in a capitalist environment to be honest. McDonald's over there, Outback, Schlotszky's and TGI Fridays over here. Wal-Mart over by the mall. It can really be a lulling thing to be there because you never really see any of the things that you always heard about before. Don't get me wrong....those things are still happening but there are much more restrictive and oppressive places one could be in the world right now.

As far as all the dog/cat stuff goes....it's just a different culture. That's how they are (not all of them). Some places eat hot dogs, others grubs, some Chinese like cats.

One thing I will say though is that sometimes they can really be extreme in their attempts to take care of problems and I feel like that's typical Chinese culture...the shooting of dogs and whatnot. When I was there some people died in a fire in an unlicensed internet bar. The reaction of the gov't was to close down every single unlicensed internet bar in the city (it was in the thousands). They really don't care about them being unlicensed - that's just how they are about things. I'm sure all of those internet bars have reopened now.

Please don't flame me for this...I realize that China has big problems that need to be addressed but I also feel that in general it's not as extreme as many people think although there are extreme things that happen there.

Anyway...that's my two cents. Feel free to ask any questions about any of this.

brad cook

ps - and I wish China would leave Taiwan alone

DigMe
May 16, 2003, 01:21 AM
Walking around any city in Beijing

Ooops that should have said "any city, especially Beijing"

brad cook

CZ-75
May 16, 2003, 02:39 AM
You can edit your initial post for mistakes, rather than post a retraction.

twoblink
May 16, 2003, 02:45 AM
I was in China in 1994, (I am a Christian also) and I brought Bibles into China..

So I understand China quite well. I know it's very capitalistic, but there are subjects, places, that have serious government undertones and overtones..

I don't worry about what they report on the news and see on TV about china, I fear the stuff we DON'T see..

BamBam-31
May 16, 2003, 05:25 AM
It always amazes me how quickly people here and on TFL jump on China in every China-related thread. It shows that just beneath a "civilized" veneer lies a very jingoistic and condescending view towards the rest of the world. It amazes me even more that some of these critics are of Chinese descent.

The Chinese people are not barbaric, as some would like to believe. Quite the opposite, actually. Americans are not barbaric, as many Chinese would like to believe. Again, quite the opposite. To label an entire people in this manner is simply ignorant.

True, the Chinese government leaves a lot to be desired. But if a country's people are to be judged as a whole by the government that controls them, then what should we now think of the people in Afganistan or in Iraq? Pre-war, they're barbarians. Post-war, they're drinking tea with their pinkie's extended? Please.

As for eating dog, IIRC, Lewis and Clark acquired a taste for it during their travels westward. How barbaric. :rolleyes:

280PLUS
May 16, 2003, 07:06 AM
and the locals i had come to know were having a little going away party for me. so in the middle of the second bowl of soup, which was a LOT like campbells chicken noodle, incidentally.

i foolishly ask, mmm, good, what is this? to which my friend replied "dog mit soup"

so i'm thinking out loud now, "dog mit soup, dog mit soup. do you mean dog MEAT soup?"

why yes, it WAS IN FACT dog meat soup...

now, dog meat is an expensive delicacy in this country and to refuse it would be a huge insult to my friends, they had just spent a lot of $ on this in my honor

"humph,,,it DOES taste like chicken", i say, finishing my bowl

it wasn't bad at all...

:D

winwun
May 16, 2003, 07:13 AM
Techbrute, glad you mentioned that sad incident. Actually, it was the local GOB's (good 'ol boys) who shot the dog. The Highway patrol quickly distanced itself from the incident. The cap on the story was when the local police were releasing the family, they offered them a garbage bag to put their dead dog in. A real class operation.

DigMe
May 16, 2003, 09:29 AM
CZ-75 said:
You can edit your initial post for mistakes, rather than post a retraction.

Yeah I tried and for some reason it kept saying that I couldn't even though I was logged in and everything. Another message board that I've been on for a while uses a different version of this same board software. Thanks though! I'll try again next time.

brad cook

Art Eatman
May 16, 2003, 11:11 AM
BamBam, there's a bit more to it than that. First off, remember that a large part of our national policy in WW II in the Pacific stemmed from our strong positive attitude toward pre-Communist China. Then came Mao & Co.

A lot of us remember what my generation or our fathers' went through in Korea, in such places as the Chosin Reservoir. Others can remember Mao's reign and the Cultural Revolution. And remember lots of dead folks around Asia and in Tibet and suchlike. We remember munitions coming from China into North Vietnam. We remember our efforts to keep Taiwan free of mainland rule...

Many of us are slow to believe the tiger is changing its stripes--and that's not at all jingoism.

Art

seeker_two
May 16, 2003, 11:22 AM
theyre talking about shooting the people now....

That's it...I'm doing all my eating in America!!!!:what:

twoblink
May 16, 2003, 12:14 PM
BamBam, trust me, I jump all over every country that has horrible politicians, (including Taiwan). Have you seen our collective comments about the PRK and the PRNJ?

Frogs, Dogs, Hogs.. whatever.. they all taste good.. ;)

waynzwld
May 16, 2003, 04:52 PM
Hey 280Plus, I have been to china several times and at one large going away dinner I was unknowingly served some dog, I thought it was mutton, until my guests told me what it was :eek:. There are many different things that taste good, but you don't want to ask what they are :uhoh:. I have had all kinds of different food there, one time it was cobra (not as much meat as a rattler), other times I won’t even tell you what it was :what:. I just learned to not ask if it tastes good and I can't identify what it is.

As for the people, it is really similar to here, there are some people there that are "trash" and some that are very good people. It is too bad that their government sucks big ones.

BamBam-31
May 16, 2003, 08:51 PM
To clarify, I am not supporting the Chinese government or its actions. I visited Tienamen Square several years ago. I saw the tank treadmarks in the stairs. I purchased a booklet that had grisly photos of students' burnt corpses. Made me want to puke.

What I am objecting to is the labeling of the Chinese people as a whole as "barbaric" because of the actions of its government. It's thinking like THAT that evokes memories of the jingoistic and downright racist propaganda of WWII. Posters I saw at the National D-Day Museum in New Orleans depicted the Japanese as demonic, rat-faced vampires out to rape poor American women. They are not, nor are the Chinese people barbarians.

waynzwld sums it up pretty well in his last paragraph.

Art Eatman
May 16, 2003, 11:22 PM
I've been in three countries outside the U.S. for a year or more in each. I've travelled extensively in--ain't sure--another 15 or more.

By and large, the people I've met all around the world run about the same as here in the U.S. Different customs and suchlike, but far more good folks than bad folks...

IMO, ultra-ideological political types and small groups of rabble-rousers cause more trouble by far than anything innate in the majority of all people...

:), Art

If you enjoyed reading about "China shooting all the pets.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!