SHORTY _law ??????

PDA

emjimb
October 8, 2006, 11:06 AM
In Florida ,as I understand it --your CCW allows you to purchase a shotgun --provided that the brrl. is 18 " or more -----if you were to buy a "legal" length brrl....Then can you legally then shorten the brrl.??
If the answer is no -then to buy a short brrrl -or make one-- you must go through the whole Class III license deal and pay $200---- Is this right ??? ???????? Thanks in advance

If you enjoyed reading about "SHORTY _law ??????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SigfanUSAF
October 8, 2006, 11:25 AM
No, you cannot go below 18" without going through the "process" of obtaining the permit to have a "sawed off" shotgun.

dfariswheel
October 8, 2006, 02:13 PM
I don't know anywhere in American that's going to allow you to carry a shotgun "pistol" as a CCW weapon.

While some state laws may technically allow it, I strongly suspect that if you try carrying one, legal or not, you're going to be spending the night in jail.

Legal or not. the feeling of society is, honest people don't carry sawed-off shotguns concealed, and if you do, you're going to be sorry you did.

In addition to which, the risks to innocent bystanders from the shot spread will also make it's use inappropriate.
Bottom line is, the CCW system is intended to allow honest citizens to be armed with handguns.

wdlsguy
October 8, 2006, 03:27 PM
If you want a shotgun with a barrel less than 18" you send the following to BATFE:

- two Form 1's (http://www.atf.gov/forms/pdfs/f53201.pdf). Each one needs a passport photo and a CLEO (police chief or sheriff) signature. If you can't get a CLEO signature there are workarounds.

- a Certification of Compliance (http://www.atf.gov/forms/pdfs/f533020.pdf) form.

- two FD-258LE fingerprint cards

- a $200 check or money order

When the approved Form 1 comes back in a month or two, have the receiver engraved with your name, city and state. You can now have the barrel shortened to the length you indicated on the Form 1.

armoredman
October 8, 2006, 03:45 PM
Barrel less than 18", overall length less than 26", NFA weapon, under NFA '34. Yes, AZ does allow CCW of legal NFA weapons. I knew a guy who carried a MAC in an SMZ rig with two 32 rounders off side. Legally, tax stamp in his name.
If you are 'caught" carrying a legal NFA weapon concealed, whether it be Serbu 12ga, MAC10, MP5K, or Cobray Rogue, as long as you have your BATFE paperwork and CCW, the only thing you're likely hear is, "Wow, can I shoot that?".

rbmcmjr
October 8, 2006, 07:39 PM
A short barreled shotgun WITH A BUTTSTOCK has the full $200.00 tax. But unless I am completely mistaken, a pistol-gripped short shotty qualifies as "Any Other Weapon" and only has the $5.00 transfer tax.

And no, you can't make the conversion yourself. It has to come from the manufacturer that way.

Check with a lawyer.

wdlsguy
October 8, 2006, 09:34 PM
A short barreled shotgun WITH A BUTTSTOCK has the full $200.00 tax. But unless I am completely mistaken, a pistol-gripped short shotty qualifies as "Any Other Weapon" and only has the $5.00 transfer tax.
It is $200 to make or transfer a short-barreled shotgun (SBS). An SBS isn't required to have a buttstock.

It is $200 to make an Any Other Weapon (AOW). It is $5 to transfer an AOW.

And no, you can't make the conversion yourself.
Actually, you can. You would start with a factory pistol grip only shotgun and you would file two Form 1's (http://www.atf.gov/forms/pdfs/f53201.pdf), a Certification of Compliance (http://www.atf.gov/forms/pdfs/f533020.pdf), two FD-258LE fingerprint cards, and a $200 check or money order.

Ohen Cepel
October 8, 2006, 09:42 PM
It's all Class II stuff, either $200 or $5 (and I don't really understand the difference there).

Dfariswheel- I'm 99.9% sure AZ allows you to carry anything that you legally own (unless it's changed since I left). Not sure about other places.

Third_Rail
October 8, 2006, 09:45 PM
VT allows anything legal, too. Only exception is in cars, long rifles and shotguns must be unloaded. I don't believe AOWs, SBRs, SBS, etc would fall under that, though.

Hkmp5sd
October 8, 2006, 11:06 PM
In Florida ,as I understand it --your CCW allows you to purchase a shotgun --provided that the brrl. is 18 " or more

In Florida, anyone over 18 can buy a shotgun, whether or not they possess a CCW.

If you enjoyed reading about "SHORTY _law ??????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!