870 forearm twist

PDA

emmie
October 8, 2006, 09:07 PM
I was brought a S/P 870 12ga. this gun has a twisting forearm on it. by this mean that any back pressure on it with a normal right hand shooting, hold, the action bar bypasses the action lock and bolt jams back. locking up action,untill you pull side forward. if you hold gun at port arms and work action,no problem,just when shouldered and working action.
action bars measure straight but most blueing is gone. action lock is polished,but looks good.
is this more shooter error than parts wear? could new parts take any of the twist out? the fore end nut is snug to the wood and straight to action.

thank you for your time------emmie

If you enjoyed reading about "870 forearm twist" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DougW
October 8, 2006, 10:35 PM
Sounds like a heavily worn and twisted operating rods. I would take it to a decent gunsmith though. I don't know the answer your issue.

dfariswheel
October 9, 2006, 02:10 AM
If I understand you correctly, with a round in the chamber and the forearm forward, if you pull and twist the forearm the action bar slips PAST the action lock and the forearm comes back.

This sounds like a case of worn/bent action bars, and probably a worn/bent action lock.

The only other thing I can think of would be a broken or weak action bar lock spring which is allowing the action bar lock to be pushed down by the action bar.

Turn the gun over, and push up partially on the shell lifter.
Pull and twist on the forearm and watch the LEFT action bar and it's engagement with the front of the action bar lock.
You should be able to see what's going on.

Basically, the action bar and the action bar lock should butt against each other with little or no misalignment.

If the bar is bent so it can slip past the lock, or the lock is bent so the bar can slip past, one or both will need either adjustment or replacement.

If you enjoyed reading about "870 forearm twist" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!