Texas Dem's?????

PDA

critter
May 15, 2003, 09:57 AM
Can we have some input from Texans on the Dem's who have 'exiled' to OK in order to keep the state legislature from having a quorum and doing business?

Is not that against Texas law and can they not be arrested once they return to Texas?

Intersting way to run politics.

If you enjoyed reading about "Texas Dem's?????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ahenry
May 15, 2003, 11:14 AM
Can we have some input from Texans on the Dem's who have 'exiled' to OK in order to keep the state legislature from having a quorum and doing business?
Check here to see the input from a few Texans, myself included. (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?threadid=22239)

Is not that against Texas law and can they not be arrested once they return to Texas? Well, my understanding is that the law is sort of open on this. The Speaker of the House (Tom Craddick) sets the rules for what punishment should be enacted when members do not fulfill their obligations. Generally speaking, legislators cannot be arrested when the legislature is in session. I don’t know the details of that law but somehow the Speaker has been able to get around it for those legislators that stayed within the borders of Texas in order to bring them into the House. The TX Law Enforcement is unable to bring the ones in Oklahoma back to Texas. I suspect that the reason is because warrants have not been sworn out for their arrest. I do know that the OK officials have refused to detain the legislators and bring them to the border so that Texas officials can bring them back to the capitol.

If you enjoyed reading about "Texas Dem's?????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!