Close Call at School in Missouri

PDA

psyopspec
October 9, 2006, 12:44 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/10/09/missouri.school.ap/index.html

JOPLIN, Missouri (AP) -- A 13-year-old student fired an AK-47 inside his middle school Monday morning after confronting two others students and his principal, but no one was injured, authorities said.

The student was wearing a mask and pointed the assault rifle at Principal Steve Gilbreth, Assistant Superintendent Steve Doerr and two students, saying, "not to make me do this," Superintendent Jim Simpson said.

Simpson said the teen then fired a shot into the ceiling, breaking a water pipe, and said again, "Please don't make me do this."

"It was a very close call," Simpson said.

Doerr and Gilbreth persuaded the student to leave the building, where he was confronted by two police officers with weapons drawn. The student dropped the rifle and was taken into custody, Simpson said. The student's identity was not released.

Joplin police Officer Curt Farmer said officers found a note in the student's backpack indicating that he had placed an explosive in the school, which has about 700 students. Students in the school were moved to nearby Joplin Memorial Hall, and the school was closed while officers searched the building.

The student was wearing a mask and apparently had been planning an attack for a "long time," Simpson said. He didn't elaborate and said authorities did not know whether others were involved.

Joplin, which has about 40,900 residents, is in southwest Missouri, on the Kansas border about 140 miles south of Kansas City.

Schools across the country have been on alert after three deadly school shootings in three states in the span of a week, and several schools have been locked down or closed entirely during the past two weeks because of threats.

If you enjoyed reading about "Close Call at School in Missouri" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
psyopspec
October 9, 2006, 12:46 PM
Deleted.

crunker
October 9, 2006, 04:33 PM
At least no one was hurt.

American By Blood
October 9, 2006, 04:40 PM
Ugh. Say hello to a new AWB.

Third_Rail
October 9, 2006, 05:14 PM
Follow the money!

Oh, wait...

Autolycus
October 9, 2006, 05:17 PM
I wont be suprised if there is a lot of new gun control legislation across the board in all of the different states. I also agree that a new AWB will be in order for the antis to say that they are taking a stand against gun violence.:barf:

Aguila Blanca
October 9, 2006, 05:40 PM
While I am sure those who already posted expectations of new gun ban initiatives, the fact remains that this kid was 13 YEARS OLD. He is already barred from owning any sort of assault weapon. So I wonder if those who will be proposing yet more bans will explain how yet another law to be ignored could possibly make any difference to those who are already willing to break the law.

Eleven Mike
October 9, 2006, 05:53 PM
According to the latest reports, the weapon malfunctioned after the first shot. So, obviously, it couldn't have been an AK. Everyone knows those never jam. :cool:

DoubleTapDrew
October 9, 2006, 05:59 PM
Before anyone in the screaming left starts talking about how we need a new AWB I hope somebody lists ALL the laws that were broken in this incident. If they didn't stop it neither will more laws. They need to make an example of these kids that attempt this and come down like a ton of lead on them.

Phenom
October 9, 2006, 06:22 PM
Probably a fail to fire or the rim got ripped off of the shell. AKs do violently extract empties. It's not uncommon for an AK to toss a empty as far as 25 yards.

Manedwolf
October 9, 2006, 06:24 PM
Wasn't an AK. Was a Norinco MAK 90.

http://www.normantranscript.com/localnews/local_story_282162750.html?keyword=topstory

Phenom
October 9, 2006, 06:30 PM
The MAK-90 is an AK rifle, just with a huge thumbhole buttstock.
I wouldn't put it past the Brady Bunch to want authorities to search mental health patient's homes for firearms.

Turkey Creek
October 9, 2006, 06:40 PM
My wife just retired from teaching and I feel much better despite the fact that I'm still working- It's going to get worse before it get's better for the obvious reason that kids are copy cats of the first order!

Hoppy590
October 9, 2006, 06:50 PM
The student entered Memorial Middle School shortly before 7:45 a.m., wearing a full-length, military-type black trench coat, Farmer said. The boy was wearing a makeshift mask made out of a white T-shirt.

http://www.normantranscript.com/localnews/local_story_282162750.html?keyword=topstory
im sorry but last time i checked im not aware of a milspec trench coat. man i hate the media

Mumbles_45
October 9, 2006, 06:56 PM
I was issued a black trench coat.

SoCalShooter
October 9, 2006, 06:57 PM
Seriously what is in the darn water they are giving to these kids. I have never had the incling to take a weapon to school when I was there and much less an assault weapon.

fordfan485
October 9, 2006, 06:57 PM
m sorry but last time i checked im not aware of a milspec trench coat. man i hate the media

I was issued one by the army, here is a link to one simliar
http://cgi.ebay.com/US-Army-Gov-issue-Class-A-Trenchcoat-Size-46L_W0QQitemZ140036675483QQcmdZViewItem

It's a dress uniform item.

ctdonath
October 9, 2006, 06:59 PM
Seriously what is in the darn water they are giving to these kids.Ritalin, Zoloft, Prozac, ...

SoCalShooter
October 9, 2006, 07:00 PM
Looks like a regular trenchcoat to me. Hell they label it mil-spec and all of a sudden they have a WMD and mass murderer on their hands.

ctdonath thanks for the clarification I figured it was atleast ridilen but I was unaware of the prozac.

Eleven Mike
October 9, 2006, 07:28 PM
Wasn't an AK. Was a Norinco MAK 90. Not a bad ID for the press. Goodness knows every long-arm is an AK to them. Of course, they're stilling calling it an assault rifle. :rolleyes:

Pilgrim
October 9, 2006, 07:29 PM
My wife just retired from teaching and I feel much better despite the fact that I'm still working- It's going to get worse before it get's better for the obvious reason that kids are copy cats of the first order!
Over the years, children's rights have received more emphasis than their responsibilities. We are now reaping what we sowed.

Pilgrim

2TransAms
October 9, 2006, 08:50 PM
There's a song that parodys these kids mindset that says "Hey,hey,don't pay no mind,if you're under eighteen you won't be doin' any time." I think some kids really believe that.

Now the obvious solution here is to arm the teachers with Mossberg 500's but the Bradys and Co. will call for more and stricter legislation and regulation "for the children" who,as stated,already can't have these weapons.(BTW where did he get the rifle?)But if you're old enough to know what a firearm will do to others then you know what it will do to you,so some day one these punks is going to whip out an AK/Mac10/Glock/whatever and be deservedly shot back at.And despite the cries of "How horrible",and it would be sad,the kid oughta know he had it coming.

cbsbyte
October 9, 2006, 08:54 PM
Anyway you can kiss your assualt rifles good bye. AWB II is on the way.

50caliber123
October 9, 2006, 09:21 PM
does anyone have any solid proof of an AWB II in the works?

XD Fan
October 9, 2006, 09:35 PM
does anyone have any solid proof of an AWB II in the works?

No, but I am going ot go buy some high capacity magazines for my XD9.

Atticus
October 9, 2006, 09:36 PM
"(BTW where did he get the rifle?)"

From the family gun safe. He had the combo.

2TransAms
October 9, 2006, 09:44 PM
From the family gun safe. He had the combo.Ah. If that was in the article I missed it,thanks.

Most of you probably had the numbers to the safe when you were young,and I'm sure the parents trusted this boy well enough to give him the combination. BUT were there no warning signs? Parents don't keep track of their kids well enough,and lots of mischief ensues when parents "respect their children's privacy". Hey,junior,here's a newsflash,you don't have a right to privacy from your parents.

another okie
October 9, 2006, 09:48 PM
Locals are saying the boy had a grudge against two kids in the school, but did not attend the school himself. I don't know how reliable the information is.

Macpherson
October 10, 2006, 04:34 AM
While its quite easy to blame the parents in this situation, keep in mind that maybe the parents were trying all they could to reign in this kid, but he blew them off like most kids that age I have seen do. Not all parents are bad, but in this day and age where physical discipline is taboo, parents are not authority figures in their kids' eyes.
It's also quite possible there weren't any outward signs, it's not like these people are walking around with neon signs (although in this case the trenchoat suggests goth leanings); the guy who shot up the Amish school in PA had a wife, kids, a steady job and no criminal record, and yet he methodically planned the execution of innocent schoolgirls because of feelings he hadn't had for over 20 years.

I am surprised that the MAK 90 jammed, the kid must've loaded it wrong or something, AK's don't jam :)

Eleven Mike
October 10, 2006, 08:29 AM
Not all parents are bad, but in this day and age where physical discipline is taboo, parents are not authority figures in their kids' eyes.
It's also quite possible there weren't any outward signs, it's not like these people are walking around with neon signs (although in this case the trenchoat suggests goth leanings);

Joplin is in good-ole-boy country. I can't imagine there was anything keeping his parents from swatting his behind. Or maybe you're talking about a general effect of parents getting less respect.

I don't know if trench coats suggest "goth leanings," but "goth leanings" are not precursors of school shootings. Anyway, it might have been something he got out of his dad's closet that morning.

Phenom
October 10, 2006, 08:37 AM
I have a black leather trench coat and wear it often. No one ever mistakes me for being goth or up to no good.

Wiley
October 10, 2006, 08:50 AM
2TransAms Quote:
BUT were there no warning signs?

From what was said this AM by one of the school administrators, I think, no, there were no warning signs. This kid was completly under the radar.

On a personal note, I do wish the anti's would wake up to the fact that no law can prevent these occurences. But that allowing adults working in the schools to carry might cut the death toll.

Ah, well, though liberal and logic begin with the same letter there seems to be no further connection.

thegriz
October 10, 2006, 09:25 AM
Never mind - duplicate.

atek3
October 10, 2006, 09:32 AM
I suspect that the kid put the mag in, racked it, took the mag out, topped it off, then reinserted the mag without locking it. Fires the first shot and the bolt rides over the top of the next round, then he gets a failure to fire. try's racking it a few times and gives up.

atek3

carterbeauford
October 10, 2006, 09:39 AM
In case you need some help reading the Norman Transcript article:

BTUs = BDUs
7.26MM = 7.62MM
Rifles altered to fire in automatic mode are illegal = nice of them to explain this technicality. They would have said the same thing if it were a legally owned class 3. This is terrible reporting.

Prince Yamato
October 10, 2006, 10:03 AM
This is getting ridiculous. You know what will stop this crap once and for all? A teacher shooting back and blowing one of these little bastards' faces off. i know, I know, I'm not using gun-positive language, but I mean cripes, how much longer are we going to put up with this garbage as a society?

ndh87
October 10, 2006, 05:27 PM
as long as we pesants are discouraged from having guns and the majority of the country is full of sheeple:barf:

ozarkhillbilly
October 10, 2006, 10:53 PM
Joplin is in good-ole-boy country.

Eleven Mike you are right, Joplin is fairly conservative, in most homes you will find firearms and if you put it to a vote today they would vote pro-gun all the way. However Joplin has always had a little seedy side too, I am not sure why maybe because its on the edge of three states and a fouth not to far away, but Joplin has never had the same feel as other southwest MO towns or cities.

One thing for sure though is that the residents of Joplin would not be for a AWB II.

DoubleTapDrew
October 10, 2006, 11:38 PM
This is getting ridiculous. You know what will stop this crap once and for all? A teacher shooting back and blowing one of these little bastards' faces off. i know, I know, I'm not using gun-positive language, but I mean cripes, how much longer are we going to put up with this garbage as a society?

+1. It's not PC but schools seem like an easy target to sickos. I bet once the news starts reporting "The man got 10 feet inside the front door with the rifle but was immediately gunned down by school administrators before he had a chance to shoot" this would end pretty quick.

If you enjoyed reading about "Close Call at School in Missouri" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!