Is there ANY one shotgun for all purposes?

PDA

Panthera Tigris
October 9, 2006, 08:00 PM
Is there any single shotgun that could be used for home defense, trap, clay, skeet, and hunting?

I'm not concerned about being terribly competitive at the shooting events, that would be more for training on my part and learning to just use a shotgun. I'm poor. I can't afford a shotgun for h.d,. one for hunting, one for skeet, etc.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Is there ANY one shotgun for all purposes?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
crunker
October 9, 2006, 08:22 PM
Well for home defense you need a shorter barrel, for sporting you need a longer barrel.

So just get a Mossy or a Remmy with two barrels.

rustymaggot
October 9, 2006, 08:25 PM
poor = mossberg. mossbergs are very durable guns. mossbergs have the two barrel combo deal for 199 new. get a pistol grip for it and switch em out when you want to shoot trap and such.

Panthera Tigris
October 9, 2006, 08:52 PM
Thanks. I think I'll look into the 500, possibly that security combo if I can find it.

Al Thompson
October 9, 2006, 08:58 PM
A darn good compromise is a turkey gun. That's usually a 22 to 24 inch barrel on a good pump or auto. Short enough for HD, long enough for clay games. Buy one of those and get a few extra choke tubes and away you go.

For sheer dollar value, the one gun two barrels is also good as is the two used for one new gun's price. With some careful shopping (around here) one can get two used 870s for about $400 or a bit more.

Guess it depends on what your budget actually is and if your OK with used guns or not.

Panthera Tigris
October 9, 2006, 09:44 PM
Well, Gander Mt said since I have not taken the L.H. 870 Express out of the box I bought from them last week, they will probably give me what I paid for it to take it back on trade. I could take both it and the Mossberg 590A-1 I bought to Gander Mt and look for a turkey gun in the range you mention.

I lean toward Mossberg because I have to shoot left handed and it has the ambidextrous safety. So, since they don't carry the Mossberg Security Combo, I think I will look for the 24 inch turkey gun, then possibly get a 28 inch barrel for it, and someday down the road an 18 inch barrel. I don't know if I'd like the standard Remington safety with a right hand model, when I have to shoot left handed.

Thanks.

TrapperReady
October 9, 2006, 09:48 PM
Why do you NEED a short barrel for a HD gun? If I need to take care of my family, I don't care if the gun has an 18.5" barrel or a 32" barrel.

The Deer Hunter
October 9, 2006, 09:50 PM
I could see 32" being a little bit accesive for HD

wdlsguy
October 9, 2006, 09:54 PM
I don't know if I'd like the standard Remington safety with a right hand model, when I have to shoot left handed.
It's pretty easy to replace the right-handed safety with a left-handed one.

Panthera Tigris
October 9, 2006, 09:55 PM
I don't need a short barrel for h.d. 28" would be fine. I just want to find a decent shotgun that I can use for h.d. and trap, because the only ranges in my area that allow shotguns are trap/clay/skeet ranges. So whatever I get needs to be able to do all three.

I know most that frequent the trap/clay ranges use semi autos rather than pumps, for example.

I'm not convinced the left handed 870 Express I bought is the way to go because I'm not finding any interchangeable barrels for it, and very few replacement barrels. If the l.h. Express is fine for all of these purposes, then I'll sell the 590a-1 and just keep the Express.

The better built Wingmaster doesn't come in l.h., and I'm not sure about its style of safety shooting a r.h. gun left handed.

It's pretty easy to replace the right-handed safety with a left-handed one.

I've no experience with shotguns other than the basic take down for cleaning. I don't really want to have to tinker with one any more than I have to.

TrapperReady
October 9, 2006, 09:56 PM
I could see 32" being a little bit accesive for HD

If it's what I've got at hand, so be it. I'm not looking for trouble in my own home. I stay put and call for help, ready to deal with anything that gets too close.

We've got quite a variety of shotguns around the place, from an NEF youth single-shot to custom competition O/Us, to "plain-jane" pumps and a Winchester Defender for "HD" use.

Guess what I'd grab if something went south? Whatever is closest at hand. AND, I wouldn't feel undergunned with any of them.

I think the concept of "needing" a particular shotgun (or any gun... hell... any particular object) for defense is kind of silly. I might prefer certain guns for certain situations (which is why we've got a wide assortment), but NEED is something else entirely.

Panthera Tigris
October 9, 2006, 10:01 PM
Well, every single LEO I know tells me to have a shotgun for home defense, rather than a handgun. Every single one. A handgun is not practical for an apartment, as almost all handgun rounds will go through the drywall into adjacent apartments. And I don't subscribe to the "I hit what I aim at" comments either, because quite frankly, most who say that aren't being shot at when they're doing the aiming. A shotgun best suits my purpose for apartment defense.

Yes, I hope it never happens. But, on top of that, I hate handguns. I've owned almost every type and manufacturer of handguns you can think of over the last 4 or 5 years. Not all, but most. And I've fired several more that I didn't own. All makes and types. And I've pretty much hated all of them. So, I'm sticking with a shotgun for home defense. And, the more I study them, the more I think I might like to do some shotgun target shooting. After all, that's the only way I'm going to get any practice with it. So, I need one that can be used for at least one of the other styles apart from h.d.
Plus, as I said, I'm poor. The ultimate thing for me to do would be to keep the Express, use it at the clay/trap ranges, and the 590 would just sit at home in case it's ever needed. But then I'd never get to shoot the 590 and why have one if I'm never going to shoot it?

So I lean toward trading both for one better built gun in 26" or longer that will also have more available out there for interchangeability. Maybe I'll look at a Wingmaster and check the right handed safety out, see if I can manipulate it left handed. I could always hold the gun in the left hand, and flip off the safety with my right before gripping the forearm.

Panthera Tigris
October 9, 2006, 11:06 PM
How about the Browning BPS Hunter in 12 gauge? I'd think it would be ok for trap, and I've no problem with a 28" shotgun for h.d.

KUJO2388
October 9, 2006, 11:09 PM
No. But I do think that the Mossberg 500 security is a great gun.

toivo
October 10, 2006, 12:44 AM
If they don't have the Security combo, get a Mossberg 500 with a 28" barrel, should run about $200. Then you can get an 18.5" cylinder-bore 12-gauge barrel from Mossberg for $74 plus shipping. It ends up almost the same as buying the combo--the cheapest I've ever seen the combo is $260 and they're usually closer to $300.

Panthera Tigris
October 10, 2006, 02:27 AM
That is one of the options I am considering.

Skywarp
October 10, 2006, 02:47 AM
Yes,Benelli M2.

I used it for Trap , skeet, sporting clays, turkey, gonna use it for duck and goose and would have no problem usingit for upland game, slug hunting or HD

And i wouldnt even have to clean it

pete f
October 10, 2006, 03:37 AM
Buy a pawn shop 870 for about $150... then hit some gun shops looking for a 870 30 inch full choke barrel that does not have tubes. Offer them 35 bucks for it. They will probably take it. Git it home and get the hacksaw and make it into at 19 inch barrel for in the house work. Take a moderate fine file and clean it up square. hunting gun and HD gun for under two bills.

JohnBT
October 10, 2006, 08:12 AM
"How about the Browning BPS Hunter in 12 gauge?"

That would be my choice.

One of these days I'm going to get around to buying a short barrel for one of my shotguns. The trouble is I'd buy a 20" bbl. for my 870 Exp. and the gun would end up being only 8" shorter. Just doesn't seem worth it given the layout of my house.

John

Skpotamus
October 10, 2006, 08:37 AM
FWIW, all of the LEO's in my neck of the woods have shotguns in their squad cars, with 26-28" barrels on them. The difference in patterning between a 18" barrel and a 28" barrel is just that the 28" gun will give the same pattern as the 18" gun, just 10 inches farther (assuming same ammo and choke diameter). A shorter barrel would probably be easier to move around inside of a house for tactical clearing, etc. However, most people aren't going to be diong this, they're going to be in their bedroom's, on the phone until the police show up.

I would second the turkey gun option (don't buy a ***mossberg 835 though), just get some extra choke tubes and you can use it for pretty much anything.

***Moss 835 = overbored barrel, you can't fire slugs thru their standard field barrels. Hence my recommendation away from them. I've owned one for several years that's done quite well.

YMMV

Brian Williams
October 10, 2006, 08:41 AM
I would say a nice OU or SxS with 26" barrels and removable chokes. It would be just like a revolver, limited in capacity and able to shoot anything.

Panthera Tigris
October 10, 2006, 09:19 AM
An over/under you say? My local Gander Mt flier for this week has the Remington SPR310 O/U on sale. It has three interchangeable choke tubes. It's a 28" inch barrel however.

danurve
October 10, 2006, 09:29 AM
I was just think it's good to have the choices and options. Alot of guys don't agree with interchageable barrels, and wouldn't consider interchageable barrels. I'm thinking come on, it's a shotgun. Anyhow just as another option a shotgun with a 24" barrel and interchageable chokes makes a good alternate. Anything from C, IC, M, X, Turkey, even rifled chokes.

wdlsguy
October 10, 2006, 07:16 PM
I've no experience with shotguns other than the basic take down for cleaning. I don't really want to have to tinker with one any more than I have to.
It really isn't that bad. I managed to do it myself and I'm not very mechanically inclined.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=211664

IDriveB5
October 10, 2006, 07:58 PM
Yes there is, and I've got it:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/IDriveB5/firearms/870SM0022.jpg
My RM870ESM

There aint nothing this shotgun wont do, and wont do well.

I'd like to co-sign TrapperReady's statement:
I'm not looking for trouble in my own home.

Just need to change out the forearm and make my LOP adjustment permanent so it aint so damn ugly.

Hawk
October 11, 2006, 12:29 AM
Beretta UGB-25 with belt-feed modification.

Eightball
October 11, 2006, 01:08 AM
Benelli M4 with appropriate choke tubes.

Fred Fuller
October 11, 2006, 10:43 AM
The best advice I can give you is to stick with one make/model for everything. Having something different from the gun you shoot the most for HD is a bad plan- your muscle memory will assert itself under stress, and you might well fumble the gun at a critical moment. Old-timers say, beware the man with only one gun. There's lots of reasons for that.

Remington made left-handed Wingmasters at one time, I still see used ones from time to time. If you want to 'trade up' from the Express gun you have, it might be possible to find a used lefty Wingmaster for a similar price. Take a look at http://www.azoneworldwide.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=58084833 for example.

Hope you find what you want,

lpl/nc

TrapperReady
October 11, 2006, 10:46 AM
In fairness to the original poster, I think there are LOTS of shotguns which can be used for "all purposes".

My definition of "all purposes" is: trap, skeet, sporting clays, 5-stand, etc... for the clay games. Throw in bird hunting (both upland and waterfowl), deer hunting. HD is also a consideration.

Taking all that into consideration, I would toss out break-open designs (singles, O/U, SxS). Not to say that you can't do it all with those, but I think a repeater would be better-suited to the task.

As to action-type, if I had one gun for all those tasks, I would probably pick an autoloader. If forced to narrow it down to a particular type, I'd look at (in no partcular order) a Super X-2, a Beretta 391 and a Benelli M1 (or M2) Field model. Whichever one fit me the best would be the one I'd go with.

If I wanted to go with a pump, I'd probably just pick an 870 (most likely a used Wingmaster)... although I do also like the Ithaca Model 37s.

Whatever I chose would sport a 28" barrel with interchangable choke tubes. I would then tweak the fit to be perfect and shoot the heck out of it as often as I could.

quatin
October 11, 2006, 10:54 AM
Not to steal the thread, but I have a newbie question. Can you use a slug and normal shot shells in the same gun? Do you need modifications?

New_geezer
October 11, 2006, 11:49 AM
Can you use a slug and normal shot shells in the same gun? Do you need modifications?

Generally yes, but there are such things as special rifled shotgun barrels for shooting sabot slugs. Some slugs have "rifling" on their outside for use and improved accuracy in smoothbores (but not in already rifled barrels).

I'm not an expert on this but for some older guns (someone chime in and help define "older") there may be an issue shooting slugs out of a barrel with a choke tighter than modified. Most new guns don't seem to have this concern.

Regards the use of an 18.5 inch barrel for HD. The main issue is manueverability in confined areas is it not? Hard to swing a long barrel around in a hallway. The short barrels usually have no choke either which as I understand it gives the widest pattern thus the greatest margin for error when shooting at the BG.

Though I once had a salesman tell me the best thing about a Mossberg is you can hear that clunky pump chambering a round thru a heavy steal door. Usually enough by itself to deter a BG

wdlsguy
October 11, 2006, 12:29 PM
Hard to swing a long barrel around in a hallway.
Having kept an 18" (soon to be 14") 870 around the house for HD purposes, my 30" BPS looks almost comical.

Even a 14" 870 at 34.5" looks a bit long next to my 11.5" AR-15 at 30". :evil:

mljdeckard
October 11, 2006, 01:36 PM
I haven't yet found anything my 870 can't do.

foghornl
October 11, 2006, 01:54 PM
My humble 1/50 of $1.....

I have a Maverick 88 (Mossberg's entry-level value-priced line) that started out with the 28" modified choke barrel. I call that the woods-n-waterfowl configuration. (squirrel/rabbit/game bird/ducks-n-geese)

In HomeLand Security mode, it wears the 18-1/2" cylinder bore (NO choke) barrel. Bought that barrel a couple of years ago for $69+tax. This barrel also shoots standard (Foster?? Forster??) rifled [non-sabot] slugs very well...although it is slug brand selective. Best shooter is PMC, then Brenneke KO's, then all the rest.

Briefly, with a 2-minute barrel swap, one shotgun has all my needs covered.

zero_chances
October 11, 2006, 04:57 PM
I use my Benelli Nova for my everything shotgun. It seems to handle anything i throw at it. It has a 3 1/2" chamber and a 28 inch barrel.

Protein anchor
October 11, 2006, 05:48 PM
Mossberg 590 (9 shoot, 20 inch barrel, speed stock, parkerized, heat shield)...used to have one (moved to another state), a blast to shoot. Will be ordering another tomorrow. These shoot about anything...3 inch chamber. ~375-400 bucks. Nice gun. :)

New_geezer
October 11, 2006, 06:26 PM
Having kept an 18" (soon to be 14") 870 around the house for HD purposes, my 30" BPS looks almost comical.

For FYI's sake, Has the law changed? I thought barrels shorter than 18.5" were illegal. For both rifles and shotguns yes?

wdlsguy
October 11, 2006, 06:30 PM
I thought barrels shorter than 18.5" were illegal. For both rifles and shotguns yes?
18" for shotguns, 16" for rifles. My AR-15 is registered as a short-barreled rifle ($200 tax stamp) and my 870 is registered as a short-barreled shotgun (another $200 tax stamp). Perfectly legal in Texas.

mswestfall
October 11, 2006, 09:24 PM
Throw in a 30" bbl'ed Winchester Model 12 with pump guns and I agree with TrapperReady.

TrapperReady
October 11, 2006, 10:43 PM
mswestfall - I started out with a Model 12, and two of my most-used hunting guns are M12s. The only thing about them is that for an "all purposes" gun, I'd prefer one that accepts choke tubes.

That's why I chose an 870 for the pump... it's a nice "close second" to the Model 12.

Dave McCracken
October 11, 2006, 10:55 PM
A short barreled repeater if you insist on just one. Mucho repeaters if you like to set shotguns up for a particular mission.

That's why there's more than two 870s in Casa McC....

JohnBT
October 12, 2006, 07:53 AM
"Hard to swing a long barrel around in a hallway."

Depends on the hallway. Mine are wide with 10-foot ceilings.

John

Panthera Tigris
October 12, 2006, 07:16 PM
Edited for below response

crunker
October 12, 2006, 09:03 PM
The Beretta UGB-25 is really innovative.

I can't see any reason why you'd not want that kind of magazine configuration, except for price... Ah well we can wait until the patent expires if there even is one.

ryan56507@msn.com
October 12, 2006, 09:39 PM
Another vote for the 870

Shorter barrel in the home, incase it hasent already been stated is just for getting it in a tight space for storage and going around corners and stuff, longer barrel for games is for a better swing. So an 870 where you can hand or field change the barrel in about five seconds. Dont be planning on Doubles trap or skeet until you get the action smoothed out with a couple hundred rounds. but for HD its a hella-more reliable than the mossey, always the 870 and go super mag even if your not using big shells, cuz you can feild strip the trigger...

RKCheung
October 12, 2006, 10:51 PM
I used to do the swap barrels thing, but it was too much of a bother, so I just sold the barrel and got another 870. :D

Panthera Tigris
October 13, 2006, 01:00 PM
After reading here and elsewhere, and talking with different shotgun folks, I found a mint condition used Winchester 1300 with a 28 inch barrel and a 20 inch slug barrel for $349. I picked that up. I'll use the slug barrel for HD.

The 28" barrel came with one turkey choke tube.

sulpak
October 16, 2006, 11:02 AM
I'm new with shotgun and after reading the thread I am thinking of buying one for HD. I lived in the farm and fishpond area.

The nearest town is 8 kms away. 3 kms of rough road going inside my place.
I live in asia and alot of incidents of armed group home/ property invasion by rebel are happening this year. they seize any type or kind of firearms from civilians which they consider as "soft targets". A group consist of 10 or 20 rebels.

What should i buy ? a semi or a pump for this kind of situation.
An 18.5 or a 24" shotgun? What kind of ammo should I stock with?#00 ,4 and Do i need to stock on slug? How many do I need?

wdlsguy
October 16, 2006, 05:01 PM
Wow, taking on 10 to 20 people would be quite a challenge. What are the rebels armed with? How many meters away would they be during a gun battle? Any chance you can get an AK-47 / M-16 / AR-15? If I was limited to a shotgun I would probably want lots of reduced-recoil OO buckshot and some reduced-recoil slugs.

sm
October 16, 2006, 05:23 PM
sulpak,

Welcome to THR.

I do not know your laws so please forgive me. You "get it" because unlike some around here, you live in a whole different setting! There are some members here, that DO have experiences in Settings like yours, and have been shot, and have shot back and killed in Civil Unrest.

Yeah, I get a bit fed up with NetNinjas on forums - and I don't apologize for it.

Dang! First you need someone you can trust to give you the run down on Firearm laws and Legal matters in defending yourself. Second, you need some training in regard to these Rebels - Id'ing them, how they operate, strategy and tactics they use ( and I mean S&T as defined as it is supposed to mean, not NetNinja-Speak).

Personally, I suggest a Pump, for the simple fact ( I hope) it is more readily available and less monies for you. Pumps are not ammo dependent as some semis are, so not knowing if your ammo choices are as good and varied as we folks in the US, the pump will feed ammo choices better.

A simple, used, 870 with 2 3/4" chambers will work great! Yes, you need some choke on the shorter barrel. Meaning, if you find a good used gun with a 26" fixed choke ( no screw in choke tubes) - get it and do not whack the barrel...that choke is important! Later on, you can find a shorter barrel.
Monies are best spent on training and ammo, - not gadgets. About all a defensive guns needs is to fit shooter, have good solid beads, a sling, and perhaps a light. Forget this other crap, funky stocks and all.

Stick with plain ammo, that tests according to pattern boards work best in your gun, and plentiful. 2 3/4" shells are all you need, and different brands of 9 pellet 00 buck and simple lead slugs - are all you need. Just let the pattern board reveal what your gun, and loads do best with, and then stock up on those. Use the lightest target load, to practice and ingrain basic concepts.

You really need the wisdom and training of Louis Awerbuck. He has BTDT and is a Great Trainer - he would be ideal for you. Heck, I would write Awerbuck, and ask for his best suggestions and get the tapes and books he suggests.

http://www.yfainc.com/
YAVAPAI FIREARMS ACADEMY, LTD.
PO Box 27290, Prescott Valley, AZ 86312
Phone (928) 772-8262

Find someone YOU trust , and with some shotgun/ defensive experience and get trained up.

Rifles - yeah, sounds like you need to look into this as well.

Train the mind and mindset first. Then work on the hardware (guns and ammo).

Oh, I know it may be expensive for you to order from the US if you cannot locally for Awerbuck, another book, many of my friends in other countries do order, and the shipping is not cheap is.

Shotgunning: The Art And The Science - Bob Brister

This book will answer most questions often asked on Gun Forums. Seriously, I know folks in New Zealand, Spain, UK, Korea, Ireland, Jamaica, and other places that have ordered this book at my suggestion. This book has helped them a LOT! I care about folks "getting it".

NetNinjas can co use Dragon's Breath and Fletchettes for Suppositories for all I care...

Stay safe.

Steve

The Deer Hunter
October 16, 2006, 08:36 PM
Why would you only want one shotgun?

Panthera Tigris
October 16, 2006, 08:48 PM
Because of a little thing that is extremely hard for me to come by these days called money. I ain't got much of it. I've got enough to live on, and that's about it. I can't go off spending it buying numerous firearms. So, it pretty much has to be one shotgun for all purposes.

sm
October 16, 2006, 09:04 PM
Want?

Well for too many years, folks only had one of some kind of firearm. Money was tight, they only bought what they could afford. Saved up, paid cash or did L/A.
No credit cards. They became one with the gun, they knew how to shoot.

Same applies today. Difference in "wants" and "needs". It is said "needs" will be provided for, and sometimes "wants" may come to be.

I also know, we have members from all over the world - legal reasons, firearm restrictions apply to them.

This is something that hits a nerve with me. One of my best friends on this board was treated so rude, so ugly when he first came to THR needing assistance. He was bashed, trashed and called an idiot for (1) "just move to US" , (2) buy ____ gun.

Well for one, his laws Says he cannot, that gun is NOT available, and he and his wife are not rich enough to just quit jobs and move to US.

He is not the only one that has been treated this way, and some live in the US.

Maybe $ 1/2 million in medical bills gets in the way for buying more than one. I would imagine having the house burn down, and insurance only covers so much , means being limited to "ones" of things for a bit.

Needs and wants differ. I try to understand this, where folks are from around the world, and the fact some do not have disposable money, and not by any real fault of their own.

I know a couple the medical bill for their son is near $2 million. Freak accident, the TV cabinet shelf broke and that TV fell onto that Toddler, and crushed his head flat. I mean FLAT.

He is fine now, has just a tinge of a limp, is back on track on speech and other development areas.

His dad, still does not own anything but a 870 for everything and they have two CCW guns, one for mom and dad. He borrows a 30-30 for deer hunting when he does not use a shotgun. I gave them a single shot 20 for the wife to use, when he is gone.

Guns not as big a priority for them, now them two kids, especially the one that went thru a trama, being a family, and all - biggest priority.

Needs , wants, priorities...

Dr.Rob
October 16, 2006, 09:07 PM
if I had only one shotgun... I'd have Remington 870.

the interchangable barrels nixes the 'versatility' question and it's a fine fine action. 26 in vent rib for upland birds, skeet, clays, trap & a 21 inch deer barrel with a rifled tube for deer elk bear or buckshot.

the fact is I have 2 shotguns, the other one is a muzzle loader.

mrmeval
October 16, 2006, 09:47 PM
I had a Mossberg 500, the standard ribbed barrel work ok for skeet but not the best. Then there was the rifled slug barrel which was exceptional , did under 2" at 100 yard. I then got a black powder barrel for it and with real BP it would do the same under 2" at 100 yards, very nice. I was forced to sell it and regret it as I doubt I will get that lucky again. I would have liked a shorter barrel for use with 00 buck for the home. Eventually I'll get another set.

Brian Williams
October 16, 2006, 10:35 PM
Why would you only want one shotgun?
May be because I do not care for the recoil or the pain it gives me whenever I shoot one. I would love to find a nice 20 or 28 gauge SxS that fits me and then those pesky Quail would be mine.... Other than that I really do not want another shotgun. I shoot mostly Handguns and a few Rifles. Even heavy recoiling rifles are not for me.

ReadyontheRight
October 16, 2006, 10:56 PM
As far as ONE gun, a Remington 870 Wingmaster w/a 28" barrel probably has no equal.

Cruise the shops and gun shows. You COULD buy one and then buy a short home defense barrel, but for almost the same price you can also find a whole 'nother used gun. You might even find a nice police-trade-in 18" or 20" model around $200.

I found one w/ a 30" barrel and full choke for $180 and another one with a ~24" barrel and poly choke for $100. $280 for a nice old matching set of well-honed wood and steel that cycle slick as can be. And these were both in the last two years.

I still haven't had the heart to cut the Polychoke down to 18.5" as planned, but it's a darn good defense gun as is.

Panthera Tigris
October 17, 2006, 01:41 AM
sm, I think some of those things everytime I read where some "expert" advises someone to just move somplace else if they don't like where they are at. Not all of us can just uproot ourselves, spend hundreds of dollars to move, find a job, have a new place to live lined up, etc. I sometimes wonder about the intelligence of people who make those remarks.

I looked at an 870, but when I held the 1300 it was the one that felt the most right for me. Thus, I have my defense gun with the 20" slug barrel and a trap gun with the 28" barrel.

sm
October 17, 2006, 03:28 AM
Panthera Tigris,

1300s are nice guns. These fit me very well. I am so glad you actually chose the one that fit YOU. That means a lot to me.

Winchokes. I really really like the Winchokes. Now these may be an "older" design, may appear "short" when measured against others, I will share some of The BEST patterns come from those well thought out , very well designed, Win-Chokes.

External knurled- this will protect the muzzle if dinged. No matter how careful we are, muzzles do get dinged. One of these external knurled gets dinged, and bad, get a new external, less monies that having muzzle repaired. Internal chokes get dinged bad enough- one cannot get the internal choke out, and to remove proper is going to cost money, and still have to get muzzle fit.

Steel Shot Proof. Nice to have in the event you have to shoot Steel for waterfowl or a club that restricts one to non-toxic, and many may still mandate steel shot for this club rule.

Concentric. No shoddy quality control have I ever experienced or heard of with a Win-Choke.

Not expensive. Last checked, still one of the lesser priced chokes one can buy. I do recommend you get a Skeet if you do not have in the event you need to hunt quail, the 1300 with a skeet choke, even in that 28" barrel is great! Shoot some 00 buck out of it too, and check the pattern board, you may be surprised! :)
So I would recommend in having SK, IC, MOD and Full. Better to have and not need, than need and not have.

Winchester put a lot of research into the Win-Choke. Many folks never look at this or appreciate this older design.

I just always used RIG +P for thread grease, or STOS from Ponsess Warren.

We await your report on trying various loads at the pattern board, and your hat getting shot from running a straight at Trap with your new gun. :D

Sincere congrats!

Steve

islandphish
October 17, 2006, 05:32 AM
It is very hard to decide in the gunstore which shotgun you really want. over ten years ago my family bought two new shotguns. a winchester pump and a remington 870, the model number of the winchester eludes me at the moment but they were very similarly priced.

Now, the 870 is finally almost as smooth in action as the Winchester was brand new. And the 870 has about 20:1 rounds through it comparatively. But I know it is easier to take the remington apart, easier to change the choke tubes, and the 870 is more reliable.

For 300 you can have a "normal" barrel and a short HD barrel in an 870. How is that not a beautiful all purpose shotgun? Chambering at least 3" and choke tubes from turkey to improved? Plus legendary reliability.

I'll keep my beat up 870.

Fred Fuller
October 17, 2006, 12:21 PM
PT,

Glad you found a shotgun that suits your fancy. I don't think you will ever regret your choice.

Stay safe,

lpl/nc

Panthera Tigris
October 17, 2006, 07:58 PM
I had an 870 for a brief time. It's just as easy for me to take the 1300 apart as it was the 870. As to reliability, I've had just as many folks tell me the 1300 is just as reliable than the 870 as ones who have told me otherwise. If anything, my conclusions have been they are equal in reliability. I've nothing against the 870, but the only 870s that were in my price range were the Expresses, and I have heard and read good things Expresses at not that good.

lepmik
October 17, 2006, 08:35 PM
My next gun (and only shotgun) will be a pump 12 ga, with a 28 inch barrel. I understand why an 18in barrel could be handier in the house, but I don't plan on clearing my house very frequently. :rolleyes: If someone gets by the outdoor automatic lights, locked doors, alarm, and German Shepherd, then that is one TOUGH/brave/stupid person. I'll be behind a locked bedroom door with that long barrel pointed at it (and on the phone with a 911 operator), not running commando-style through the house trying to find the BG.

Chances are, 99.99% of the time my shotgun is in use, it will be shooting clays or small game, not BGs.

I'm going with either a 500 or an 870.

Panthera Tigris
October 17, 2006, 08:39 PM
Oh, c'mon! You're supposed to wind sprint through the house, do a running shoulder roll and come up blazin away! :evil:

islandphish
October 18, 2006, 12:49 AM
Panthera Tigris,

I think that the Winchester I spoke of was a 1300.

It has been my experience that the 870 Express in the long run is the better gun. Also that the Winchester blows it away on looks, fit and finish. In fact, for the first thousand or so rounds they are probably about even, perhaps even an edge for the Winchester.

However, now that I am past the break-in period and have refinished the stock(the original stain rubbed off very quickly) I feel the 870 is the winner.

In fact, tonight both guns were taken out on a turkey hunt and neither of us had any worry that our gun would function. Yet, we did have this same conversation.

Your Winchester will serve you well, I would have picked an 870 Express.

sulpak
October 18, 2006, 10:55 AM
thanks steve for the info..I live in the Phiippines . Our firearm laws states that we can have any firearms in any type or kinds...but whats funny we cant buy highpowered AR15,AK47 rifles from firearm importers/dealers/gunstores. we can only register our loose firearms but cannot buy new rifles, except for shotguns and pistols.

Just last week a group of rebels attacked an airport that was underconstruction. Pls. check the story.
http://visayandailystar.com/2006/October/09/index.htm
and come to think of it ,its just 20 minutes aways from my main house.
The rebels by the way were wearing police uniforms.

I plan to get a semi (AKKAR)18.5" altay taktik series. 5+1 fix front sight. sells for $420.oo thats the cheapest I can buy for a semi.I understand AKKAR makes shotgun for Charlesdaly. They are selling a semi with 24" with 3 choke cylinder for $500
a philippine made pump cost $360. an 870 would cost us $700 here.

For a rifle.. i have an old M1 carbine .30Cal.. buying an AR15 or an AK47 is to expensive for me.

I'll check on the books you suggested.

thanks alot for your ideas guys.

sulpak
October 18, 2006, 11:13 AM
thanks steve for the info..I live in the Phiippines . Our firearm laws states that we can have any firearms in any type or kinds...but whats funny we cant buy highpowered AR15,AK47 rifles from firearm importers/dealers/gunstores. we can only register our loose firearms but cannot buy new rifles, except for shotguns and pistols.

Just last week a group of rebels attacked an airport that was underconstruction. Pls. check the story.
http://visayandailystar.com/2006/October/09/index.htm
and come to think of it ,its just 20 minutes aways from my main house.
The rebels by the way were wearing police uniforms.

I plan to get a semi (AKKAR)18.5" altay taktik series. 5+1 fix front sight. sells for $420.oo thats the cheapest I can buy for a semi. a philippine made pump cost $360. an 870 would cost us $700 here.

For a rifle.. i have an old M1 carbine .30Cal.. buying an AR15 or an AK47 is to expensive for me.

I'll check on the books you suggested.

thanks alot for your ideas guys.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is there ANY one shotgun for all purposes?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!